Will a 99 3.8 go in a 96 car ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-24-2006, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Will a 99 3.8 go in a 96 car ?

My 96' mustang 3.8 started to knock on start up the other day so I did some calling around an found a complete 14,000 mi. 99 3.8 for $500.00. Will it drop right in or wil I have to change any thing ?

Also whats the hp difference from 96 to 99 ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-24-2006, 10:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring It
My 96' mustang 3.8 started to knock on start up the other day so I did some calling around an found a complete 14,000 mi. 99 3.8 for $500.00. Will it drop right in or wil I have to change any thing ?

Also whats the hp difference from 96 to 99 ?
I hope you bought that engine from a wrecked car. Have to turned it over to see what it sounds/feels like, and a cr test?

Anyway yes the engine will bolt up, but it will be a nifty project for you. Wiring will need to be spliced (that is if you have the wiring harness for the 99. I take it you do since you said 'complete'). You will need to use the 99' flywheel/flexplate of course. Is this an auto, or manual?

You'll need a modified fuel rail also.

http://www.v6power.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10854
http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5672
http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5713
http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread...plit+port+swap

post #3 of 13 Old 02-24-2006, 10:59 AM

but most importantly it will be worth it.

In 96 the 3.8 made 145 hp
in 99 it made 190 hp

Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-25-2006, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Convertible
but most importantly it will be worth it.

In 96 the 3.8 made 145 hp
in 99 it made 190 hp

Stan
Doh my bad I forgot to mention the power difference.
Oh and btw Stan I like your car and congrats on all the dang Steeda suspension you've got done, and the s/c with the new split port swap. What #'s are you making and will you make the southern v6ford challenge this year?
post #5 of 13 Old 02-25-2006, 01:49 AM

right now im only making 220 at the wheels but i have some obstacles to overcome.. My 95 block has worn rings and im going to be installing a new shortblock and a t-5 to replace my aode.Ill make the challenge If I finish the work in time.

I stil need to install my snow perfomance kit, hypercoated mac long tubes, new 2.5 exhaust, the short block, t-5 swap, aluminum driveshaft, aluminum lower control arms and get the car retuned...I doubt ill make it.

Stan
post #6 of 13 Old 02-25-2006, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6stang95
I hope you bought that engine from a wrecked car. Have to turned it over to see what it sounds/feels like, and a cr test?

Anyway yes the engine will bolt up, but it will be a nifty project for you. Wiring will need to be spliced (that is if you have the wiring harness for the 99. I take it you do since you said 'complete'). You will need to use the 99' flywheel/flexplate of course. Is this an auto, or manual?

You'll need a modified fuel rail also.

http://www.v6power.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10854
http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5672
http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5713
http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread...plit+port+swap
The motor is sitting at a salvage that a friend of mine works at, I haven't bought it yet. I've just made a couple of phone calls, I havent actualy seen the motor yet. I said complete meaning intake to pan, I'll have to check on what if any wiring comes with. Thanks for the info fella's.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring It
The motor is sitting at a salvage that a friend of mine works at, I haven't bought it yet. I've just made a couple of phone calls, I havent actualy seen the motor yet. I said complete meaning intake to pan, I'll have to check on what if any wiring comes with. Thanks for the info fella's.
No problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-12-2006, 07:44 PM

it'll bolt in fine. but the 99-04 engine is different in several ways. first, it is split port, so the entire top end (heads, cam, intake) is completely different. the 99-04 also uses a returnless-style fuel rail and return system, so you would have to pull that entire system out of the 99 also, or else have a shop fabricate one for you. the flywheel, flexplate and trans are different for the 99 also (i believe so anyway) so those would have to be adapted or swapped over

but, there are benefits from swapping to a split port engine, mainly, 40+ STOCK horsepower. and with top end porting and a cam, that number would increase respectably. throw in a 4.2 crank from an f150 with a forged botton end, and you're ready for high compression, or boost; whatever your preference is

if you're serious about doing this, it would be best to have a performance shop that knows v6's do the wiring, engine build and fuel system, unless you have experience, of course

delk performance in lebanon, tn would be a good choice for this kind of work. one of the techs there has a 97 single port v6 turbo running 9's
post #9 of 13 Old 03-20-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark
it'll bolt in fine. but the 99-04 engine is different in several ways. first, it is split port, so the entire top end (heads, cam, intake) is completely different. the 99-04 also uses a returnless-style fuel rail and return system, so you would have to pull that entire system out of the 99 also, or else have a shop fabricate one for you. the flywheel, flexplate and trans are different for the 99 also (i believe so anyway) so those would have to be adapted or swapped over

but, there are benefits from swapping to a split port engine, mainly, 40+ STOCK horsepower. and with top end porting and a cam, that number would increase respectably. throw in a 4.2 crank from an f150 with a forged botton end, and you're ready for high compression, or boost; whatever your preference is

if you're serious about doing this, it would be best to have a performance shop that knows v6's do the wiring, engine build and fuel system, unless you have experience, of course

delk performance in lebanon, tn would be a good choice for this kind of work. one of the techs there has a 97 single port v6 turbo running 9's
Okie dokie (Keith aka Homank79 you can join in if you want) there's no need to rip out the entire fuel system out of a 99-04. I mean you can if you want, or if your just bored, but there are people on v6power.net/vb that make the modified fuel rail to just bolt onto the 99-04 engine.

The actual trannies are similar, but you'll still need to keep your 94-98 tranny because the tailshaft is different from 94-98, 99-04. You'll need to swap over necessary flywheel/flexplate goodies.

I was about to say there aren't but 4 or 5 shops that would probably know enough about the v6 to even attempt the job. Its not that difficult once you get the idea of the few wires that need to be extended/modified. Matt would do it for you (Matt from Delk performance) and he'd do a damn good job too.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-21-2006, 04:04 AM

perfect time for a cam and a little head porting?

post #11 of 13 Old 03-22-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMustangGT
perfect time for a cam and a little head porting?
If the single ports would flow better, and put out some better hp #'s then I'd agree with you, but it doesn't take much modification for the great flowing dual intake runner system of the 99-04 v6's to get respectably quicker.The split port engine built up n/a to hell and back (4.3L stroker) will break into the 11's all motor this weekend (Tom Yentzer from SuperSixMotorSports.com at the v6fc in Cecil, Ga) compared to the fastest built up single port stroker (4.2L) by Matthew Neuharth from DelkPerformance in TN that ran a 13.3 on slicks and 4.30 gears. Dont worry though Matt will be in the 9's with his turbo setup also this weekend. You can check the old timeslips here: http://www.v6power.net/portal/timeslips/

I say go for the split port swap, but thats just me...
post #12 of 13 Old 03-26-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6stang95
Matthew Neuharth from DelkPerformance in TN that ran a 13.3 on slicks and 4.30 gears. Dont worry though Matt will be in the 9's with his turbo setup also this weekend. You can check the old timeslips here: http://www.v6power.net/portal/timeslips/
Delk is who does all my work. Matt has actually worked on my car. his new setup is amazing!
post #13 of 13 Old 03-26-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMustangGT
Delk is who does all my work. Matt has actually worked on my car. his new setup is amazing!
I just found out today at the race in south GA that matt and I raced in that he's selling his current larger turbo he just upgraded to a guy named Keith Homank (he's on here) and he's going with a larger turbo.

Btw Matt ran a 10.17 today going easy on the gas and the SuperSix green car ran a 11.89 all motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement