Ford Mustang Forums banner

Got a supercharger for V6 engine and..

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  V8Supercoupe 
#1 ·
Dont know if I should use it or what. Has anyone got a set up with this? Its the factory Ford supercharger for 3.8 engine out of Thunderbird Super Coupe and I have everything here to go with it. Thanks for any help/.

#2 ·
From what I heard in passing threads back in the day, there's alot more that you have to swap over to get it to work correctly

Don't forget though, the supercoupe's 3.8 had forged internals, the stock mustang's does not

#4 ·
It would be far cheaper to swap a supercoupe engine than to try to make it work on a mustang 3.8.

Sell it to someone else and buy a vortech :)

Stan

#6 ·
5.8 TurboCoupe said:
Dont know if I should use it or what. Has anyone got a set up with this? Its the factory Ford supercharger for 3.8 engine out of Thunderbird Super Coupe and I have everything here to go with it. Thanks for any help/.
its been, done. i did the swap with my supercoupe blower and put it on my 5.0L.

you can check out my thread here: http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=752515

Also, check out www.sccoa.com (these guys are great when it comes to supercoupe related modifications!!!)

#7 ·
flamingpony said:
only the sc rods were forged and even then they still bent due to the high tq in higher hp cars.
Good call . I didn't know that. I thought the crank was forged

#8 ·
Cougarstang said:
Good call . I didn't know that. I thought the crank was forged
It is. Except for the very early one's which I dont know how many, if any, made it out to the public.

#9 ·
89's had cast cranks. Shortly after Ford went with a forged crank. As far as the rods being forged, uhhh, no. The pistons were Hypers.
Guys on the SCCOA are running over 400 at the wheels on stock bottom ends and so far they have been holding up. Granted most of our cars are getting older, so it doesn't quite help things when you modify the motor and expect it to perform.
I would suggest if you want to know more about the 3.8 that the SC offers, it may pay to visit the SC sccoa. Good luck

BTW, I have 2.3 Whipple made for the SC. To my knowledge it the last running 2.3 around that was made custom for the car. Originally there was only 3.

If anyone is interested, drop me a line.
Skip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.