Signs of bad head gasket? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-2006, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Signs of bad head gasket?

my girlfriend just got her first stang and it's a 97 v6...she bought for $1000 with a bad engine, but they said it could just be a bad head gasket to fix it

so before we go tearing apart i just want to know some symptoms or signs of bad head gaskets..thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-06-2006, 05:10 PM

If the car is driveable, You'll have no heat inside, and the temp guage will show overheating. And of course it will "use" water from the overflow. If You have access to a leakdown tester, that would narrow it down to which cylinder/cylinders is bad. Or, you could get a radiator pressure tester, and do it that way. (I don't like the idea of pressuring water into a cylinder) Your just about guaranteed that if the gaskets haven't already been replaced, they'll need to be. I don't know of a 3.8L (pre MLS gasket as O.E.) that hasn't had them replaced. If it is just gaskets, I think you got a smokin' deal on the car, it's an easy fix.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2006, 11:44 PM

Was just reading over at 3.8 mustang dot com about a similiar problem. The agreement over there is that by late '96 Ford had the problem licked. But didn't come out with the MLS gaskets until '99. Just makes it that much more important to check things over before ripping into it. Good luck, and whatever it is, You still got a good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-07-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351 svo
Was just reading over at 3.8 mustang dot com about a similiar problem. The agreement over there is that by late '96 Ford had the problem licked. But didn't come out with the MLS gaskets until '99. Just makes it that much more important to check things over before ripping into it. Good luck, and whatever it is, You still got a good deal.
I agree. I'm over at 3.8mustang often. The general consensus is that ford fixed the problem on the mustangs in 96, so the bad gasket plagued 3.8 mustangs are 94-95's.

Head gaskets do blow otherwise though, so you never know

Are you losing ALOT of water? Also, what's coming out of the tailpipe?

2002 Mineral grey GT 5 speed. Flowmaster 40's catback, Mach 1 grille delete, timing advance, push button starter, Bullitt pedals, FR500 steering wheel, K&N FIPK, Self ported upper intake w/ spacer, Pioneer Avic D3, MGW shifter, MM FL subframe connectors, Mach 1 springs, Bilstein HD struts/springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement