Information on Bellhousing and Manual Transmission - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-14-2005, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Information on Bellhousing and Manual Transmission

I've been slowly building up a 2.9L V6, and I am planning on going with forced induction soon. I have a 10,000RPM alumnium flywheel w/ dual clutch that's suited for the T5.

Here's where I need help. I've been searching for a bellhousing to hook up the 2.9L to a world class T5. It appears I've been looking for the wrong parts. I've been told that a 2.8L -> W/C T4 bellhousing is able to bolt the W/C T5. Fortunately, the 2.6L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 4.0L (OHV) bellhousings are the same.

Can anyone confirm that the 2.8L T4 Bellhousing will bolt to the T5 transmission?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I have never in my life (of the few I have seen) seen a T5 behind a 2.9.
Only Madza transmissions with the built in bell.

Did you ask a trans shop?

'93 Splash 5.0 - needs more traction

1997 GT 5-speed with 97 Mark VIII engine swap
post #3 of 6 Old 12-15-2005, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc's 93 Splash
I have never in my life (of the few I have seen) seen a T5 behind a 2.9.
Only Madza transmissions with the built in bell.

Did you ask a trans shop?
It's not usual. Most of the mods on my engine, you will probably never see in your life just because the 2.9L was never really around for very long. 86-92. The stock transmission is not going to be strong enough for what I would like to give it. I've thought about trying to get a hold of a stock for a 4.0L OHV, but even then I may break it.

As it sets right now, I've smoked a stock 4.6L V8 T-Bird, 4.3L V6 Chevy engine, countless 4 cylinders, etc. I've lost to a DOHC 4.6L Mark VIII though. Don't even ask about the race against the 2.3L stang. It's not bad for a V6 of it's displacement, I definately impressed those who doubted that I couldn't ever do what I did to that engine.

I am not sure if a transmission shop will have that answer, I will try though. It's something that's totally custom, not to mention I will have to do some fabrication for the mechanical clutch. Stock Ranger 5-speed were hydrolic.

Here's my 2.9L, after/before.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-16-2005, 07:09 PM

I can confirm that the 2.8L bellhousing will mount to the T5. I'm using this bellhousing to put a T5 behind one of my 4.0L's

But don't rule out the 4.0L M5OD, I've put mine through hell for almost 15 years now! That includes 100's of 6000 rpm launches on slicks.

Trev
post #5 of 6 Old 12-19-2005, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racin Ranger
I can confirm that the 2.8L bellhousing will mount to the T5. I'm using this bellhousing to put a T5 behind one of my 4.0L's

But don't rule out the 4.0L M5OD, I've put mine through hell for almost 15 years now! That includes 100's of 6000 rpm launches on slicks.

Trev
That's just what I needed to know! Thanks for the response.

Pete
post #6 of 6 Old 12-19-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopete
That's just what I needed to know! Thanks for the response.

Pete
You're very welcome Pete!

Just to elaborate a little. The bellhousing I'm using is from a Mustang II that had a 2.8L with a T4. Apparently there are some early Rangers with the same set-up, but I have yet to find one!

Trev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement