Catalytic converter problem - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-18-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Catalytic converter problem

99 Mustang v6 bone stock. Working my way up to shade tree mechanic status. I'm in an area where emissions controls are enforced.

I need some general info about the cat's. I've a rattle in one. Called the local muffler shop. They tell me there are 4 cat's. 2 forward that are expensive to replace and two in the rear that are not. That if I bring it in they can tell me which one.

What I want to know is how they would diagnose which one is the problem?
And are there any moving parts in the cat's?

It sounds like it's coming from the one on the drivers side when it's running. So I shut it down and slapped the heat shield and it does rattle. I had a similar problem a year or so ago. I jacked it up and slapped the heat shield a few times and had a small rectangular piece of metal come sliding out the back end of the heat shield. I think it was a support between the heat shield and the cat.
I was hoping to get lucky like that again, so I've slapped the hell out of the heat shield but no luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-19-2015, 11:55 AM

Inside the cat, there is a honeycomb looking fixture..there could be a chunk of that floating around in there. I think the best way of diagnosing which one it is would be to actually remove it and take a look inside with a flashlight. There shouldn't be any moving parts in there, but if there is you might want to replace it with an OEM one (you can probably find a used one for cheap) or go with a performance HFC (high flow cat).

We have emissions where I live, but I went catless because it's pretty laid back here. So long as I'm not throwing a code and they don't look under the car I pass every time

post #3 of 8 Old 08-19-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me.

So I called Ford parts and they said they don't stock the part any longer. Call an aftermarket provider.

So I look up the cat's on Autozone's site and I find one for the front "Walker New York/Catalytic Converter, price $102.99, universal fit. The back cat is $178.99.

On NAPA sites for the universal fits, front is $159, back is $179.

The direct fit is $879, but that's all four cats and the pipe too.

The shop told me it was around $1100 for the front catalytic converter, and that's not installed, the back was around $280 installed.

I've heard the cat's are expensive because of the precious metals, etc.

Would somebody clue me in on what the cat's should cost? And should you go with the universal fit or the direct fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-20-2015, 12:04 PM

For whatever reason, that seems really expensive to me. I would shop around and compare prices. For example, you could get something like this which is all 4 I believe (and a direct fit). Aftermarket will probably be your best bet.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-20-2015, 12:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Here are some aftermarket options, going to a dual exhaust in the near future? Thats the cheapest midpipe...

1996-2004 Mustang Catalytic Midpipes

1994 Ford Mustang GT
2010 Ford Fusion
1992 Ford F150
1948 Willys CJ2A
post #6 of 8 Old 08-20-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_lutter31 View Post
Here are some aftermarket options, going to a dual exhaust in the near future? Thats the cheapest midpipe...

1996-2004 Mustang Catalytic Midpipes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulstarSparkPlugs View Post
For whatever reason, that seems really expensive to me. I would shop around and compare prices. For example, you could get something like this which is all 4 I believe (and a direct fit). Aftermarket will probably be your best bet.
Thanks for the links. I called another shop that's typically higher (part of a chain, I wanted to see what they came back with) and they quoted me a price of $1400 installed, and that's just the cat assembly, not the muffler and tailpipe. They said you had to replace everything from the exhaust manifold on back. I asked them who made the cat's and they said Walker. I hit Autozone's site and they have the Walker cat assembly for $562.99. I'll find a shop that will let you bring the parts in and put it on for you. Thanks again for the links and your time and consideration. It's much appreciated.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-24-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsh00ter View Post
Thanks again for the links and your time and consideration. It's much appreciated.
No problem, let us know what happens!
post #8 of 8 Old 09-06-2015, 08:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Went down this road with my '04. Only way to do it is to buy the assembly (complete Y-pipe with all 4 cats) and either install it yourself or pay someone else to. It's pretty easy to DIY install. Just remove the nuts on the manifolds, then the nuts and bolts at the back side of the Y, drop the assembly out and install the new assembly. Local muffler shop wanted $150 to do it. I did it myself in about 45 minutes for nothing but my time. Hardest part was getting the sensors unplugged. If I had to do it again, I'd replace the sensors.

'92GT, 427" and '93 "LXVO" coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement