4r70w to T5 Swap Qestions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
4r70w to T5 Swap Qestions

Hi guys,

Long story short I have my car 80 miles south of my college campus at my friend’s parents house and I would like to get it back asap!

So I ran into trouble with my T5 swap it took me 2 days to get the 4r70w (auto) out of my 1998 v6 stang. All the parts I have for the swap are from a 1999 v6 stang (trans, harness, flywheel, computer) and I have a few questions.

1) Can I use the 99 v6 flywheel I have? I read about engines being either internal or externally balanced I can imagine what would happen with the wrong flywheel on the wrong engine.
2) Just for clarification; there are two connectors hidden somewhere near my steering column that connect into my manual pedal switches. All I have to do is uncap and connect them?
3) Can I swap out my 98 auto comp for the 99 manual comp? Or will PATS get in the way?

As it stands I just want to be able to drive my car the 80 miles back to campus so I am not overly concerned with professionalism with the swap but while I am at it I do have a manual harness from the 99 stang I got the swap parts from but there might be a problem with the O2 sensors. (I took some pics but Corral wont let me post them...)

On the 99 harness there are two O2 sensor connectors at the back one purple and one blue. The purple O2 connector although the same as the blue conector has the tabs mounted differently so it does not fit my O2 sensors. Did 99 and later mustangs distinguish between driver and passenger side O2 sensors? Is it ok if I clip and swap the purple one on the manual harness for one of my blue ones on the auto harness. Also the manual harness has a third O2 sensor connector for the driver side O2 sensor before the cats. The Auto does not. Should I neglect this connector?

And two final questions: first I got my keys stuck in the ignition switch cause I pulled out the trans and harness and left the shifter in drive. When I tried to remove the trans range sensor I unscrewed the two bolts holding it in but it would not slide off the selector shaft. Is there a special technique to getting it off? Also there were two cables connected to the shifter one was for the trans and another went into the radio bezel. It looked much like a cable you see on bicycle breaks. I chopped through it and found I think one or two wires among stranded cable. Any idea on what it was?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-14-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Ok so I made headway and got the whole thing installed. Turns out Ford did change the yokes diameter so along with buying a new yoke (28spline aod yoke), I also had to mill out the tail shaft house bushing as it had become oblongated. I will replace it as soon as funds are available.

99 v6 flywheel will fit a 98 mustang. Just have to align the holes and they only align one way. (you have to keep turning the flywheel and try again as it may look like its aligned but most often it’s not.)

PATS will get in the way of swaps where the PATS unit is located in the ecu. You will need to get it turned off before you swap computers. I am still using the auto comp.

The wire cable that was connected to the auto shifter and goes into the bezel is connected to the key lock system. Unless this cable is set to park you will not be able to pull your keys out of the ignition. I just stripped the cable and fooled with it until I found the unlock position.

I used the auto ecu and the auto wiring harness and set the DTR to neutral. If you are going to do a complete swap make sure you don’t mix and match wiring harnesses. A 98 v6 harness is not the same as a 99 although it may be possible to adapt the 99 to fit the 98, I would just get a 98 harness and be done with it.

99 T5's have a magnetic speed sensor and 98 and before have a mechanical speed sensor. They are not interchangeable. On a 98 car the speedometer is going to read mph that are much higher than your actual speed. At 110mph you are really going about 30mph and the speed limiter will kick in cutting power to the engine... I unplugged the speed cable and drove home without a working speedometer but this allowed the car to be driven at any speed as the computer does not know how fast you are going without the speedo cable.

So there is a lot of work to be done, unfortunately I am out of money and will need to wait until Christmas before I finish the project.

post #3 of 3 Old 11-23-2009, 02:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
i would've just kept the 4r70w!

2014 OW GT A6 ([email protected] and [email protected] N/A on 93)
2002 auto gt ([email protected] n/a(best mph is 109.51) tuned by Eric B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement