2000 V6 won't stop pinging - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-09-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
2000 V6 won't stop pinging

My daughter's car seems to have picked up a little ping since the weather started warming up. It's always had 87 and I ran it up to 89 with no change. It just passed 100K miles. I find the thought of running premium through a 190-200HP V6 really offensive. Any thoughts on a fix? I may try a set of plugs or Seafoam it.

2011 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 GTO R/A III
1998 Trans am
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Id do a tune up . Not sure what u have done but plugs,wires, get some spray electronic cleaner and clean the maf, also the fuel filter. Im going to guess maybe the maff has some crap buildup on it.

post #3 of 14 Old 03-12-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
My daughter's car seems to have picked up a little ping since the weather started warming up. It's always had 87 and I ran it up to 89 with no change. It just passed 100K miles. I find the thought of running premium through a 190-200HP V6 really offensive. Any thoughts on a fix? I may try a set of plugs or Seafoam it.
Sorry off topic. 1970 GTO R/A III I bet the goat likes premium!!!

1998 coupe auto
Gt stock cat back
AM CAI
Mac UDP's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Show 96 View Post
Sorry off topic. 1970 GTO R/A III I bet the goat likes premium!!!
It likes more than that. With the timing set correctly, I have to supplement premium with 5 gallons of 100 octane.

1970 GTO R/A III
1998 Trans am
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
post #5 of 14 Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Vader we had a 00 V6 at one time the thing pinged like crazy and even slightly with 93 octane. The v6 wasn't in it long enough for me to worry about it and I never researched it. I bought the car used and figured maybe the guy had the timing way far advanced. I wonder if this is a common problem. The car had 130k miles or so.

2012 GB A6 GT
post #6 of 14 Old 03-13-2009, 11:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
Seafoaming it might help. When I had my old 3.8 I ran 1 step cooler plugs and that seemed to help too (whatever the last two numbers on your motorcraft plug are, go 10 less. example: 32P go down to 22P. 22P go down to 12P)

2002 Mineral grey GT 5 speed. Flowmaster 40's catback, Mach 1 grille delete, timing advance, push button starter, Bullitt pedals, FR500 steering wheel, K&N FIPK, Self ported upper intake w/ spacer, Pioneer Avic D3, MGW shifter, MM FL subframe connectors, Mach 1 springs, Bilstein HD struts/springs
post #7 of 14 Old 03-13-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking the same thing. I remember hearing about a carbon deposit problem. Maybe the Seafoam can clear it out. Plugs may help as well. Thanks all!

1970 GTO R/A III
1998 Trans am
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
post #8 of 14 Old 03-18-2009, 01:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I'd make sure the injectors got some attention. If you have a sticking injector on one bank you can get a lean cylinder while still having "adequate" fuel sensed by the O2 sensors since the other cylinders will be richened.

+1 on the cooler plugs.

Other things.
Poor cooling efficiency. Flush the coolant system and run a cooler thermostat. Make sure your radiator isn't plugged with bugs and crap.
Use the hose to blow out stuff.

Lack of adequate EGR flow can lead to knock.

Clean the MAF sensor elements. Misreading the airflow can run you lean too.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 02:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (59)
sounds to me the fuel pressure is not right. has it been adjusted? it sounds like its running to lean and detonating. might wana get the checked before it messes up the motor.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Fuel pressure has not been touched. It's fine at full throttle, no detonation at all.

1970 GTO R/A III
1998 Trans am
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
post #11 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 10:41 PM

Something for you to think about. The 99-00's had problem's with sucking in too much oil from the PCV not working properly. On my car I actually went to breathers on the valve covers, others run the lines to a tank, or put an inline filter on from the drivers side.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSA96 View Post
Something for you to think about. The 99-00's had problem's with sucking in too much oil from the PCV not working properly. On my car I actually went to breathers on the valve covers, others run the lines to a tank, or put an inline filter on from the drivers side.
Good point. Even my old 01 v6 had a ridiculous amount of oil in the intake when I took it out to install my spacer

2002 Mineral grey GT 5 speed. Flowmaster 40's catback, Mach 1 grille delete, timing advance, push button starter, Bullitt pedals, FR500 steering wheel, K&N FIPK, Self ported upper intake w/ spacer, Pioneer Avic D3, MGW shifter, MM FL subframe connectors, Mach 1 springs, Bilstein HD struts/springs
post #13 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 05:59 AM

Check the spark plugs, fuel filter, and fuel pressure as mentioned. A little seafoam through the brake booster line and fuel tank might be a good idea at 100k. Also make sure the ignition is working properly. I had a slight ping related to a dying battery. Put in a new battery and the pinging went away.

99 3.8
post #14 of 14 Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Its usually due to all the gunk and oil in the intake manifolds which reduces the effective octane ratio, hence the pinging from pre-ignition. Do this, remove the upper intake, see if the ports are full of gooey, sticky gunk. Also see if its as bad or worse in the lower intake manifold ports, it usually is worse. If they are gunked up, remove the lower intake and clean them both, this takes some serious cleaning, you might have a machine shop hot tank them. Also remove and clean the throttle body. The round ports in the heads may also be higly gunked up, use carb spray and get as much as you can out. After you put it back together, delete the PCV system and run 2 breathers, but if you live in an emissions area, instead remove both valve covers and lightly pack the baffles with steel wool. This will usually cure the problem but you may have to run some higher octane fuel and one range colder plugs to stop the pinging under all conditions.

Tom Yentzer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
478-256-7766
Sponsored Links
Advertisement