98 tranny issues - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-19-2009, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
98 tranny issues

My car has an auto in it, bought this car used from a lot with 32k on it in 2000. Drove for years with out problems and service regularly. Finally, in late 2006, I started having issues with the car. It began to shift extremely hard from first to second(it would literally knock your head around), so I had a local shop rebuild the trans. Got the car back and it still shifted firmer than original, so, I took it back to have them double check things. Found that they had not tightened the pan completely so I lost most of my fluids. They looked over everything and adjusted everything and all that. Again, car functioned fine for about the next year(still had a firmer shift then normal).
Then the same thing, car began to shift violently, however, this time the o/d light would randomly start blinking. At times the car would feel as if it where power surging. I began to notice when the light blinked the car would surge, then I noticed that if I took a turn fast enough to slightly shift the car the light would stop and the car would drive fine--less for the shift. Then one night I am driving home from work and the car is begins to go haywire...light starts blinking, car is surging, the rpms are fluctiuating up and down...til finally my foot is completely floor and I am loosing speed. Again, the pedal is all the way down, an I am driving 30-40mph. I take the next exit trying to maintain the most momentum I can so that I can at least try to make it as close into Hillsboro,TX as possible. I hit a bump in the road and the car fully regains power and begins excellerating. I manage to get the car home and parked. I have since then bought a used 96 tranny to replace mine and a TP sensor. I was informed by a Ford Tech that this would work in my car...yet it doesn't. He mentioned something about lining up a torque convertor pin---so maybe I missed something, but everything appeared to be together correctly, and nothing was forced into place.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
As sad as this sounds my v6 is my favorite car of the 3 stangs that I own, it's also the first car I ever bought.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-20-2009, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

does anyone have any suggestions about this?

post #3 of 3 Old 02-28-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

still need help on this subject.
I'm not sure if it would help but this is a 4r70w transmission.
Is there anyone here with extensive knowledge of these that could give me a few pointers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement