Intermittent rough idle - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-16-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Intermittent rough idle

I have an intermittent (almost looping so to say) vibration when at idle. I have no lights on the dash indicating anything is wrong sensor wise anyway, it has new plugs, wires, air cleaner, egr valve and sensor, and oil change.The car has about 265,000 miles on it and other than this rough intermittent idle it runs great. Any ideas what might be causing it to have it be a smooth idle and then get rough?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 PM

Sounds like either the Idle Air Control Valve or Throttle Position Sensor.

You didn't mention what year Stang you have, but it is a known fact that many Mustangs have what sounds like a miss at idle at times. It doesn't mean that there is anything necessarily wrong with your car.

Other than that, you may have a coil pack going bad.

Maybe it's just too hot in FL. You should come out to Utah where we just got about 1.5 feet of snow in the last 8 hours.

post #3 of 10 Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

it is a 2000 v-6. The idle seems fairly constant, it may change by about 50 rpms or less when it gets rough. Not sure if that helps. I was thinking maybe the pcv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 AM

May be time for a valve job on the heads at 265K miles. Try doing a compression test and see what you come up with.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-23-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so I changed the pcv and ran the code on the car and it comes back EGR. I erased the code and it came back about 10 miles later. Here is my thought: my EGR lines were so clogged I had to drill them out at the exhaust, so even though the EGR sensor, lines, and EGR itself are new I believe that the intake is probably pretty clogged up. I need to take off the intake and clean it up. Any thoughts?

I'll take a look at the compression too.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-18-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

So I cleaned up the intake manifold. The exhaust ports were really clogged up, some completely. There was about a 1/4 thick greasy nasty build up. The car is running better and the code went away for 3 days and came back again. I'm trying some additive called sea foam that is supposed to really clean uo the engine,here's to hoping.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-19-2009, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Well I can't seem to get rid of this EGR code p0401. Anyone got any ideas? The stang is running prety good but....
post #8 of 10 Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
The code p0401 is most commonly the DPFE sensor. I've had this problem before and replacing the sensor fixed my problem. I reccomend buying the Ford part to replace it as there is an updated version of the DPFE since these cars came out and i'm not sure if aftermarkets are also updated.

99 3.8
post #9 of 10 Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 AM

You are a freaking god to get that many miles out of it. I junked my 1999 at 127,000 due to bad rings.

Bite the bullet and rebuild that sucker, I heard the 3.8 can be bored to a 4.0L

You forgot about the ramdom gun fire in the streets, RPG's, and the cackle of Klashnikovs on all the major holidays.

LA rules! I love this place.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-11-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok ,H82LOSE, you were right about replacing the sensor with a Ford part. I think it is f'n crazy you have to use a Ford part and the after market from Advanced Auto won't work. Problem Solved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement