98 3.8 to 00 3.8 swap - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-02-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
98 3.8 to 00 3.8 swap

What is involved in swapping a 98 3.8 with a 00 3.8. The car is a 1998 stang with an auto trans.

1998 coupe auto
Gt stock cat back
AM CAI
Mac UDP's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-02-2009, 10:04 PM

well the 00 will have a split port intake as apposed to the single that the 98 will have, but they should install the same way. the only thing i can think of is the ignition system, if i remember correctly the pre-99 or (single port intake) had a distributor and the newer engine came with a coil pack..

i tried to post a few links to show the difference but it wouldn't let me post URLs since i'm new

post #3 of 11 Old 02-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
no his 98 had coil packs and should be the same... they hard part is fab'ing the egr piping but everything else is pretty easy,,

if your good at fabing lil stuff its not a prob,, did it in my 96' thunderbird with a 01' Mustang V6

FYI use a MSD or similar controller for the IMRC's and have em turn on at 3500-4000rpm and it is real nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-08-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropDTop View Post
no his 98 had coil packs and should be the same... they hard part is fab'ing the egr piping but everything else is pretty easy,,

if your good at fabing lil stuff its not a prob,, did it in my 96' thunderbird with a 01' Mustang V6

FYI use a MSD or similar controller for the IMRC's and have em turn on at 3500-4000rpm and it is real nice!
What about the fuel lines & wiring harness. I read a post that stated that the injector plugs are different & the harness needs to be extended. Also the throttle cable will need to come off of a 99-04 car. As for as fabing the egr piping whats the difference in the two? Just curious, I'm trying to make this a quick weekend project. Thanks for the help.

1998 coupe auto
Gt stock cat back
AM CAI
Mac UDP's
post #5 of 11 Old 02-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Plenty of swap articles on v6power.net and 3.8mustang.com

No you do not have to make your own EGR tube. On a thunderbird you would, but with a mustang you can just use the EGR pipe with the newer headers and it won't be a problem.

-Thomas
post #6 of 11 Old 02-13-2009, 04:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (59)
why put another v6 motor in it? if ur gona take it out just put a v8 down in the frame.....
post #7 of 11 Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 AM

Why dont you take out your v8 and put a v6 in it? He's looking for helpful advice not the stupid "Just put a v8 in it" comment, dude.
-Thomas
post #8 of 11 Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prddad1 View Post
why put another v6 motor in it? if ur gona take it out just put a v8 down in the frame.....
Actually, I just traded my 96 gt for the 98 v6 with some cash. I've always had v8 stang's & have had my fill with the 4.6's. I'm not anti v8, it's just time to tackle something a little different.

1998 coupe auto
Gt stock cat back
AM CAI
Mac UDP's
post #9 of 11 Old 02-15-2009, 09:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (59)
thomas, you sound like your from california with the "dude" comment, but it looks like your from IA. stop trying to be something your not. as for the v8 comment, it was a suggestion..
post #10 of 11 Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Well, he's right. "Why don't you put in a V8" usually pops up somewhere for whatever reason. The fact is it's easier to swap the split port motor in than deal with the wiring headaches and sourcing parts to get a V8 setup running correctly.

"Why not put in a 2JZ-GTE or RB26DETT" would be on the same level as "why not put in a V8"

The split port swap could also be done without removing the engine, and it's a top-end only change.

No.. I'm not "Fast."
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkurls1 View Post
Simply awesome! Its like you came down from forum mountain with two stone tablets...
post #11 of 11 Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prddad1 View Post
thomas, you sound like your from california with the "dude" comment, but it looks like your from IA. stop trying to be something your not. as for the v8 comment, it was a suggestion..
No, I sound like I'm from Iowa. Because I am iowan, and this is how I sound. So thank for the vocabulary suggestions DUDE but no thanks.

I have owned a V6 something or other Ford since 2000. That's 9 years of always hearing "just put a v8 in it" on every forum I read. So yeah, it's gets a little old. And to be honest, it's not what the OP asked, so why even say it? You know it's just to raise hell.

-Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement