Flat-Top Pistons??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Flat-Top Pistons???

Can someone provide a source (or 2, or 3, or ...) for forged flat-top pistons for the '96/'98 Mustang 3.8L V6? I keep hearing about them, but am unable to find a source.

'98 GT equipped w/Koni, Eibach, Cobra R rims w/Yokohama tires, Cobra brakes all around & 3.73 gears. Also a Boss330 4.6 Cobra block w/PI heads & stuff from Accufab, ARP, Centerforce, Comp Cams, Fidanza, K&N, Mahle, Manley & Borla exhaust w/Mac Pro Chamber thrown in for grins & giggles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM

talk to super six motorsports or delk performance, they both have engine goodies for the v6s

99 mustang gt 35th vert - bolt ons
09 f-350 lariat CCSB 5.4 - DD
04 f-350 RCLB 6.0 - sold
---8100 lbs 13.9 @ 96 tune/deleted, stock heads
post #3 of 8 Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 AM

Just so you know, a "true" flat-top piston will give you ~11.5:1CR on a 3.8L and ~12.3:1CR on a 4.2L
-Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

3.8 Flat-top pistons ...

Thomas: "... a "true" flat-top piston will give you 11.5:1 CR on a 3.8."

Hmmmm, interesting. That begs the question of where does Super Six Motorsports come up w/10.3:1? Tho their pistons are flycut, that certainly doesn't make for a 1.2:1 drop in CR.

'98 GT equipped w/Koni, Eibach, Cobra R rims w/Yokohama tires, Cobra brakes all around & 3.73 gears. Also a Boss330 4.6 Cobra block w/PI heads & stuff from Accufab, ARP, Centerforce, Comp Cams, Fidanza, K&N, Mahle, Manley & Borla exhaust w/Mac Pro Chamber thrown in for grins & giggles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 PM

well it depends a lot of what year and model of vehicle the heads are from, since the CC volumes vary, but pistons I got have a 17cc dish, and MY heads are 61.48-64.48cc. The compression height of the pistons iare .020 taller than stock. I'm probably going to either have them cut down .020" or have my CC's CNC matched and enlarged slightly so I can sit around 8.5:1 because right now with a 4.2 I'll be around 9.5:1. And I don't want that for a supercharged setup.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 10:25 PM

Actually I just did some calculating, and it looks like I'll actually be around 8.7:1 without machining anything. I must have put in a number wrong the first time.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-30-2008, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Thomas ... I do not know what the factory CR was on the V6 in the Fox body Mustangs, but the the CR on the SN95 cars w/the 3.8 is 9.0:1. Are the pistons you have to cut down OE or aftermarket?

post #8 of 8 Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 PM

After recalculating I probably won't have to change anything, but I won't know for sure until I do some actualy measuring of the combustion chamber volume and installed piston height. But they are custom Ross forged pistons.
-Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement