Help me with friend's clutch - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2008, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Help me with friend's clutch

Hey everyone,

I have a friend with a 1999 V6 5 spd mustang. We looked at it yesterday and the clutch is acting funny. It seems as if it releases almost all the way at the top? Is this normal? Also it is very difficult to start out smoothly and requires a lot of gas...

I know it is going to be different to drive than my max motorsports firewall adjusted king cobra setup in my old 12 second fox coupe but it just didn't feel right at all...

It doesn't seem to be slipping however and the pedal seems nice and light and shifts fine between gears as I got on it a bit and was able to chirp second. I think I heard the occasional throw out bearing squeak but the brakes are squeaking pretty badly even unapplied so it could have been that.

I tried to pull up on the pedal to adjust it and there was no room to release and reset.

It has just over 100 K miles and they bought it used at 60 so it could be an original clutch.

I am thinking of setting the pawl/quadrant manually and telling her not to pull up on the pedal to lock in a lower release point and see if that helps but the way it shudders, clunks, etc when pulling out is disconcerting and with the mileage I am wondering if it needs a new clutch. The more I drove it the better I got but it was still very difficult and I have driven stick cars my whole life and my wife has a 4 cylinder acura rsx-s so it probably has less torque than this car and its easier to drive.

Thanks for any help you can offer us.

'90 LX Coupe 5spd
Best: 12.3 @ 113 w/ 1.86 60' - SOLD -
Highly Recommended Tuner: LaSotaRacing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-15-2008, 11:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
if its not slipping then i would think your clutch would be fine for now (for how much longer who knows)

never actually driven a 5 speed 6er come to think of it, i know how the v8s are, but every other manual ford (pick ups exploders escapes etc) all have very high friction points,

99 mustang gt 35th vert - bolt ons
09 f-350 lariat CCSB 5.4 - DD
04 f-350 RCLB 6.0 - sold
---8100 lbs 13.9 @ 96 tune/deleted, stock heads
post #3 of 5 Old 08-22-2008, 12:11 AM

I have a 00 V6 and had the same thing happen to me......

In my case the clutch was perfect the car had about 60000 miles when it happened ...it turns out the throwoutbearing was crushed......

I replaced it and installed a quadrant and adjustable cable from UPR....just so you know the cable UPR sells you is fopr a V8 and is longer you need to route it a bit differently but it works fine .. hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-22-2008, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
It does- how many miles since the fix- what is a good replacement clutch for these anyhow? I noticed ford racing doesn't make parts for the v6? OEM ford or centerforce my only options?

'90 LX Coupe 5spd
Best: 12.3 @ 113 w/ 1.86 60' - SOLD -
Highly Recommended Tuner: LaSotaRacing.com
post #5 of 5 Old 08-26-2008, 02:52 PM

spec stage 1/2/3

99 mustang gt 35th vert - bolt ons
09 f-350 lariat CCSB 5.4 - DD
04 f-350 RCLB 6.0 - sold
---8100 lbs 13.9 @ 96 tune/deleted, stock heads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement