Single License Plate Bill Introduced in Maryland; Hobbyists Asked to Testify - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Single License Plate Bill Introduced in Maryland; Hobbyists Asked to Testify

Single License Plate Bill Introduced in Maryland; Hobbyists Asked to Testify in Support at Feb. 22 Committee Hearing

Legislation (H.B. 513) that would only require the issuance and attachment of a single license plate on all Maryland vehicle classes will be considered by the House Environmental Matters Committee on Tues., Feb. 22. The bill sponsor, Delegate Donald Elliott, has asked us to help identify vehicle hobbyists who would be interested in testifying in support of the bill.

Those willing to testify in person must arrive at Delegate Elliott’s office by 11:45a.m. on Feb. 22 in order to sign in by the noon deadline.

Del. Elliott’s Office:
Room 311, Lowe House Office Building
6 Bladen Street
Annapolis, MD 21401

Those intending to send written testimony should e-mail it to Delegate Donald Elliott at [email protected] by February 21. Testimony may also be faxed to: 410/841-3349 or mailed to the address above.

Any questions may be directed to Legislative Aide Laurel Schmuck at 410/841-3118.

Protect Your Passion! Join the SEMA Action Network (SAN) TODAY at www.SEMASAN.com!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Good, I've never understood the need for one in the front.

Greg - Current 2013 Ruby Red F150 SCrew FX4
Old- 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3, 2012 Lava Red Mustang GT

post #3 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Corral Charter Member

It's to help with the redlight/speeding cameras and to aid reposessions.

Michael Means

bot mm9000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 PM

But front plates have been around Way before Redlight cameras.

And only having rear plates doesn't seem to affect repos much in states that don't have front plates.

Hey, if the gov says it works..

post #5 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Corral Charter Member

It's a DNC state, stuff does not have to make sense, just cents.

Michael Means

bot mm9000
post #6 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Michael:

Are you planning to testify? Pasadena's not too far from Annapolis.

Protect Your Passion! Join the SEMA Action Network (SAN) TODAY at www.SEMASAN.com!
post #7 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Corral Charter Member

I work and changing the minds of the idiots in Annapolis is not easy. They are happy with two plates as it keeps more people employed.

Michael Means

bot mm9000
post #8 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Never know unless you try! Testifying is a part of our freedoms. Let your elected officials know where you stand!

post #9 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Corral Charter Member

It's commie land, you won't make any headway unless you are greasing the right palms. This is not a battle you can win in MD. They are quite happy having their ugly plate on the front of all cars and that will be here forever.

It's not that I don't believe in change happening, it's just that you need to choose your battles. This is a non-starter.

Michael Means

bot mm9000
post #10 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

We can't stick our heads in the sand and avoid making a difference. You seem like a smart guy... voice your opinion to them!

post #11 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Corral Charter Member

They don't care about my opinion, I only pay taxes. I do not contribute more than necessary to their political campaigns and therefore not worth their effort.

I assure you I am not the one with my head in the sand, or land of milk and honey. I would honestly like to believe the MD statehouse is for the people but it's for the DNC and Labor Unions. I pay an exhaust tax every two years to keep these state employees on the payroll so they can contribute to the campaigns of those that got them the job through the tax.

Michael Means

bot mm9000
post #12 of 40 Old 02-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Corral Charter Member

The two plate deal is just not that important. You want to really make life better? Get rid of the money grab that the exahust inspection is, that would be a real triumph.

Michael Means

bot mm9000
post #13 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

We've got alot of irons in the fire in Maryland and this single plate bill presented itself to us.

post #14 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeans View Post
The two plate deal is just not that important. You want to really make life better? Get rid of the money grab that the exahust inspection is, that would be a real triumph.

Michael Means
Gotta start somewhere.

post #15 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Well said!

post #16 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
I'd like to see a similar bill come to VA.

Stuff...
post #17 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

As would we. Hopefully, Maryland could set a model for Virginia and be added to the states that don't have this requirement.

post #18 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned

I support two plates. Helps solve more crimes. Rather see a State front plate than some silly vanity plate bought at the mall.

Gas drive off's, cause higher cost at the pumps, yet with a front LP odds are better the clerk or camera will catch the LP.

Hit and Runs, some times the front bumper with LP is left on scene or the imprint of the LP is left on the other vehicle.

Drunk drivers and drive by shooters are easyer to ID when more people get the correct LP.
post #19 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK-Merc-MM View Post
I support two plates. Helps solve more crimes. Rather see a State front plate than some silly vanity plate bought at the mall.

Gas drive off's, cause higher cost at the pumps, yet with a front LP odds are better the clerk or camera will catch the LP.

Hit and Runs, some times the front bumper with LP is left on scene or the imprint of the LP is left on the other vehicle.

Drunk drivers and drive by shooters are easyer to ID when more people get the correct LP.
Some of the more valid points I have seen from someone defending a front plate. Personally I will never commit any of those crimes so I would love the ability to drive with no front plate. Alas I live in NY so there is no chance of it ever happening. I'll just keep paying the tickets when they nab me.
post #20 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:

1 Higher gas prices? Ugh the station takes that one.(BTDT) BTW they (all the stations)compete with prices, wanna holler about prices there are better places to direct your opposition.

2 Hit and runs... easier more effective ways to control. I.E. the punishment.

3 Drunk drivers, you dont need a LP to tell they're drunk, much less ID. See #2

4 Drive bys... dont see that one here much. although I imagine when being shot at the last thing that comes to mind is a LP.

Not to mention the reduced cost of manufacturing the second plate. Here in VA prisoners make the plates, but I bet something more productive and constructive could be found for them to do. (Not to mention the material cost of the metal, painting, etc before said prisoner stamps the numbers and letter into the plate.

View it as you like (anyone) however many states continue to use only one plate and they make out just fine.

Personally I think its a $ thing. Where I live, until a few years ago, we had to purchase a county decal every year and place it on the windshield. The cost when I started driving was $25. Then it increased to $27. Now there is no decal to purchase, just $33 to pay when you pay personal porperty taxes. Revenue, revenue, revenue, at least I don't have to display a decal and the county makes more $.

Cliff notes: Screw front LPs.

Stuff...

Last edited by SNK VNM; 02-15-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling
post #21 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 PM

I hate front plates of any kind, much less mandatory ones.

Matt
post #22 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Smile Hawaii Bill to Severely Restrict Aftermarket Car Audio Equipment Deferred

I read an article somewhere, can't remember where, that said going to a single plate system saved several states millions a year.

post #23 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Corral Charter Member

It won't save millions a year, they will just blow that money on something else. This is why we are running a deficit, that and the state is full of far left democrats.

Good luck with the state house, but unless you are paying off the right people you will get nada.

Michael Means

bot mm9000
post #24 of 40 Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Corral Charter Member

What you'll have to pound home with this is the cost savings. That's how we defeated an attempt a couple of years ago to bring front plates to NC. After they figured out how much money it was going to cost, it quickly died a horrible death and has not been brought back up again.

E5.0
2006 Harley Davidson SE V-Rod
2009 Harley Davidson CVO Springer
2010 Corvette ZR1
post #25 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 02:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNK VNM View Post
1 Higher gas prices? Ugh the station takes that one.(BTDT) BTW they (all the stations)compete with prices, wanna holler about prices there are better places to direct your opposition. What is the total loss of gas drive offs and stolen credit cards used at pumps? With front plates, we solve more crimes in Texas

2 Hit and runs... easier more effective ways to control. I.E. the punishment. How do you punish a vehicle that drove off? I know you might get an inprint of a front LP on a vehicle that was hit, or the plate might break off, or the front bumper might come off. No front plate, no catch, no punish. Your insurance foots the bill and your rates go up to cover the bills for all drivers that flee.

3 Drunk drivers, you dont need a LP to tell they're drunk, much less ID. See #2 Some people see the vehicle come at them, and can get a partial, again, no plate, no partial, no chance to ID. Dont have to be on the road to see an LP, you can walk on the side of the road facing traffic as most laws state and read an LP.

4 Drive bys... dont see that one here much. although I imagine when being shot at the last thing that comes to mind is a LP. What if you are not being shot at the vehicle drives by you and see the front end, a blank front end as it makes a turn. Would you even have a clue what state it was from or should Police start with a 50 state search and other places like DC, PR, VI, MX. Just because you live in one state does not mean other state vehicles do not drive on your roads.

Not to mention the reduced cost of manufacturing the second plate. Here in VA prisoners make the plates, but I bet something more productive and constructive could be found for them to do. (Not to mention the material cost of the metal, painting, etc before said prisoner stamps the numbers and letter into the plate. So what will the prisoners do if not making 2x the plates? Go with plastic plates made from used tires, that would cost less and give prisoners more to do as they could melt the tires, mold the plates, prep the plates, etc... see it could save money and make more jobs for inmates.

Pro's and Con's to everything. I see first hand every day how front plates help catch criminals or help them get away. Front plates do more good in my eye's than bad.

Bad side is GM and Chrysler owners have to add LP mounts. I have drilled into a few $30K plus cars to mount my front plate, so can others.
post #26 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

It goes beyond drilling. How about guys who are building their dream car and now have to find/create a place to put a mount on say a fender-less car?

post #27 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (41)
Bring the same action to NJ... 1 plate is sufficient.

However, I suggest NO license plates at all on vehicles. With the technology we have today, it would be a simple measure to implement a type of invisible bar code (or implanted chip) on the front and rear bumper covers. Such technology would allow Police, Bridge tolls, etc to simply just "scan" the vehicle and the motor vehicle data about that vehicle & person would be relayed back instantly.

Yes, there are lic plate scanners today - but imagine the huge costs savings if NO license plates were needed for vehicles anymore.

I'm certain it can be done (and wouldn't vehicles look great w/ no plates at all), however, in due time (years) most likely - because old folks in high positions don't like change and can't think outside the box.
post #28 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMA Action Network View Post
It goes beyond drilling. How about guys who are building their dream car and now have to find/create a place to put a mount on say a fender-less car?
No fenders? Some places that would be illegal due to the rocks, stones, road debris that get toss up. But if they have a bumper or a grill they can mount it there. A smart person could do a magnet set up and take it off for car shows.
post #29 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
No fenders? Some places that would be illegal due to the rocks, stones, road debris that get toss up. But if they have a bumper or a grill they can mount it there. A smart person could do a magnet set up and take it off for car shows.
Never seen a Rat Rod have you?

Last edited by Ordie; 02-16-2011 at 11:48 AM.
post #30 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordie View Post
Never seen a Rat Rod have you?

Sure have seen some.

Are you saying that car is street legal, looks rather low and more show than go? And there is no place to mount a front LP?

I say it can be done;

Some cars are exempt from some laws. Some cars can get special plates. But that is not the norm. Seatbelts, lights, etc... can be exempt on a case by case bases.

Do you support no LP's on vehicles or that they should have LP's?
post #31 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Sure have seen some.

Are you saying that car is street legal, looks rather low and more show than go? And there is no place to mount a front LP?

I say it can be done;

Some cars are exempt from some laws. Some cars can get special plates. But that is not the norm. Seatbelts, lights, etc... can be exempt on a case by case bases.

Do you support no LP's on vehicles or that they should have LP's?
You asked about Fenderless vehicles.

I support 1 plate and 1 plate only. If 30 something states can combat crime without a front plate I'm sure it wouldnt be difficult for the others.

Drive offs at a gas station don't change the price that station pays for gas. It drives up the cost of the stuff inside to cover it.

Maybe cameras need to be placed in the right location to see the rear plate not randomly placed to hopefully catch a glimpse of it.

Red light cameras? There's like 6 in the state (being sarcastic about the number). I'm sure all 10 million people that live in VA need a front plate "just in case" they happen to cross one of the 6 in the state.

All it is, is a plate, there are no expiration decals so hell they could be using a totally different plate in the front and rear and no one even notice it.

Since your state is one of the one with a front plate can you provide some statistics proving that a front plate helps solve more crime?

post #32 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordie View Post
You asked about Fenderless vehicles.

I support 1 plate and 1 plate only. If 30 something states can combat crime without a front plate I'm sure it wouldnt be difficult for the others.

Drive offs at a gas station don't change the price that station pays for gas. It drives up the cost of the stuff inside to cover it.

Maybe cameras need to be placed in the right location to see the rear plate not randomly placed to hopefully catch a glimpse of it.

Red light cameras? There's like 6 in the state (being sarcastic about the number). I'm sure all 10 million people that live in VA need a front plate "just in case" they happen to cross one of the 6 in the state.

All it is, is a plate, there are no expiration decals so hell they could be using a totally different plate in the front and rear and no one even notice it.

Since your state is one of the one with a front plate can you provide some statistics proving that a front plate helps solve more crime?
Vehicles that display two seperate plates get stopped all the time. Some times the drivers get arrested, and some times stolen vehicles are found.

We get a lot of suspect vehicles based on just a front LP, be it a vehicle that drives into say a Wal-Mart and the front LP is shown, vs when they leave from a side exit and the rear LP is not made out. All we have is the front of the vehicle.

Stats would need to be gained fron no front LP states that fail to ID vehicles. In Texas we have front LP requirement, boarder checks, and other things that lead us to catch suspects using the front LP. One thing I can say is if there is no front LP most people have no clue what state the vehicle was from, but with a front LP we know it is Texas or another state and have a better number to work with vs 50 states and other places like DC, MX, PR. Keep in mind I work near Fort Hood, so we have many different LP's. And a sad thing is many of the more violent criminals are soldiers with out of state plates that are harder to track if a front plate is not there.

Many states are small might have people from a few states that come and go for work, harder to know what a suspect vehicle is.

I have stopped vehicles with only one plate and made some good arrests. Some would put a plastic bag on the rear plate and do a crime, and no one knew an LP. Some take off the rear plate to do a crime. But with two plates, some hid the rear but a camera got the front.

I can only guess that you have no real dealings with license plates daily, as most people are in the situation. But when bad things happen, you might expect more to be done when you have more info than a vehicle make and color.
post #33 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Banned

FYI;

These US States require a Front and Rear DMV License Plates:

Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming,

These US States only require a Rear DMV License Plate:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia,
post #34 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 01:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)

I've only been pulled over once for lack of front plate on my car and that was in Oakwood who tend to have anal inverted officers. Police should have more important things to worry about.

84 SVO Folvo, 03 Cobra suspension, steering, brakes, IRS
68 F100 Flareside, DOHC, M122, T45, CV IFS, Cobra IRS, 4.10s
96 Mark VIII, RPE chassis bracing, hub swapped
post #35 of 40 Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Moderator & USAF Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (5)
I got pulled over in TX at 2 AM for no front plate in a tiny tiny tiny town I had to pass through.

I felt thoroughly protected & served with my $82 ticket. Still didn't put the plate on, screw 'em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement