Arizona Introduces Bill to Exempt Older Vehicles from Emissions Tests - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 02-09-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thumbs up Arizona Introduces Bill to Exempt Older Vehicles from Emissions Tests

SEMA SAN - SEMA ACTION NETWORK

The committee hearing on the bill (S.B. 1324) to exempt all vehicles more than 25-years old from the state’s mandatory biennial emissions inspection and maintenance program has been rescheduled. Originally scheduled for Feb. 7, 2011, the bill will now be heard in the Senate Natural Resources and Transportation Committee on Feb. 14.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the Arizona Senate Natural Resources and Transportation Committee (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for S.B. 1324

For those interested in attending the hearing to voice support, the Committee will meet on Mon., Feb.14 at the following address:

Senate Hearing Room 109
Arizona State Senate
Capitol Complex
1700 West Washington
Phoenix, AZ 85007-2890

• Existing law in Arizona only exempts pre-1967 model year vehicles and those vehicles designated as “collectible.”

• Under Arizona law, a “collectible vehicle" is a vehicle that is at least fifteen years old or of a unique or rare design, of limited production and an object of curiosity. Collectible vehicles must be maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades or other functions of public interest and used only infrequently for other purposes and have a collectible vehicle or classic automobile insurance policy that restricts the collectible vehicle’s mileage and/or use to qualify for the current collectible vehicle emissions exemption. To qualify for the exemption, the owner must also own a secondary vehicle for general transportation.

• S.B. 1324 provides for a rolling emissions inspection exemption that would exempt qualifying vehicles upon enactment and would pick up an additional model year for each year the law is in effect.

• S.B. 1324 acknowledges the relatively minimal environmental impact of older vehicles, such as the historic cars targeted for this exemption.

• S.B. 1324 recognizes that such vehicles constitute a small portion of the vehicle fleet and are well-maintained and infrequently operated.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Arizona Senate Natural Resources and Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their support for S.B. 1324.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at [email protected]. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Arizona Senate Natural Resources and Transportation Committee

Senator John Nelson - Chairman
Phone: 602/926-5872
Email: [email protected]

Senator Russell Pierce - Vice-Chairman
Phone: 602/926-5760

Senator Olivia Cajero Bedford
Phone: 602/926-5835

Senator Gail Griffin
Phone: 602/926-5895

Senator Jack Jackson
Phone: 602/926-5862

Senator Don Shooter
Phone: 602/926-4139

Protect Your Passion! Join the SEMA Action Network (SAN) TODAY at www.SEMASAN.com!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-16-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Important update on this bill!

Protect Your Passion! Join the SEMA Action Network (SAN) TODAY at www.SEMASAN.com!
post #3 of 33 Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (41)
Why not mandate this bill COUNTRY WIDE...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 PM

Garage
with luck that bill will pass and be signed into law, hopefully this year.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis
fordsix.com admin
post #5 of 33 Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Moderator & USAF Reserve

Trader Feedback: (1)
So if I drive an old crappy car, I can pollute as much as I want? And shift the burden of upkeep on vehicles to new(er) car owners?
post #6 of 33 Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 PM

I say it be the opposite. Relax the testing for newer cars and test the old ones.

Its a brand new car can it really be that poluting that much after, say 5 years.

Greg - Current 2013 Ruby Red F150 SCrew FX4
Old- 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3, 2012 Lava Red Mustang GT

post #7 of 33 Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrstask View Post
So if I drive an old crappy car, I can pollute as much as I want? And shift the burden of upkeep on vehicles to new(er) car owners?
doubt it. those old cars can only pump out so much pollution
post #8 of 33 Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Moderator & USAF Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordie View Post
I say it be the opposite. Relax the testing for newer cars and test the old ones.

Its a brand new car can it really be that poluting that much after, say 5 years.
I agree, as generally speaking modern cars are pretty clean in terms of pollution.

I went and read the actual proposed law (that SEMA's posts always seem to be missing). Apparently, new cars under 6 years old don't need testing. So this law would change emissions testing to only apply for cars 6-25 years old. Cars from 1966 and older are already exempt.

So ultimately, the worst of the remaining 70s and 80s cars stay on the road, in whatever condition the owner desires. And my guess is, being Arizona, you're going to see a lot more of the older cars due to the lack of rust.

Here: Bill Text: AZ Senate Bill 1324 - 50th Legislature | eLobbyist is the text as proposed if anyone else wants to see it.
post #9 of 33 Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
(that SEMA's posts always seem to be missing)
maybe they have another agenda?
post #10 of 33 Old 02-17-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

The only agenda we have is standing guard for the hobby.

cmdrstask is mistaken. Cars will not be out on the road in "willy-nilly" fashion. Under Arizona code, they still need to have mufflers that are in good and constant working order, cut-outs/by-passes would still be illegal, and 1968 and newer cars will still need emissions control devices.

post #11 of 33 Old 02-17-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMA Action Network View Post
The only agenda we have is standing guard for the hobby.

cmdrstask is mistaken. Cars will not be out on the road in "willy-nilly" fashion. Under Arizona code, they still need to have mufflers that are in good and constant working order, cut-outs/by-passes would still be illegal, and 1968 and newer cars will still need emissions control devices.

That comment was sarcasm

Greg - Current 2013 Ruby Red F150 SCrew FX4
Old- 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3, 2012 Lava Red Mustang GT

post #12 of 33 Old 02-17-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to make sure people knew who/what we were here for.

post #13 of 33 Old 02-17-2011, 02:58 PM

With 8 threads on the front page we get it.
post #14 of 33 Old 02-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMA Action Network View Post
Just wanted to make sure people knew who/what we were here for.
we know who you are and that you are here because you don't have to pay to register
post #15 of 33 Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
fleece

this post property of RAYMOND
post #16 of 33 Old 03-03-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

The bill is heading for consideration by the full Senate! Please contact the Senate today and urge them to pass this important piece of legislation. Contact information can be found at the link below.

post #17 of 33 Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Moderator & USAF Reserve

I hope it doesn't pass. I hate following old, out of tune cars when I'm driving.
post #18 of 33 Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

and those that are running rich
post #19 of 33 Old 03-03-2011, 11:12 PM

Garage
so the cars that acutally cause the pollution are the ones exempt? That makes plenty of sense.... oh wait

Hi, I'm Brad. That name was taken though.

I'm an insomniac who enjoys drinking, hunting, cars & trucks and long walks on the beach... to the bar.
post #20 of 33 Old 04-28-2011, 01:41 AM

I guess if the solution here is to go to some arizona auto repair stores in order to fix up the new vehicles. Or if you would exempt the older ones, then it seems to be unfair not just in order to let things work through in that one. I just hope that things would work out well with this bill that they would be implementing.

Last edited by butlersdog; 04-29-2011 at 03:14 AM.
post #21 of 33 Old 04-30-2011, 05:57 PM

How many people do you know that daily drive a 25 year old vehicle? Daily drive, not own. I can't think of one person in my neighborhood, and we have a bunch of old folks that theoretically should be driving old cars. So maybe less than 5%? Thats hardly "causing all the pollution".
post #22 of 33 Old 05-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Moderator & USAF Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS347 View Post
How many people do you know that daily drive a 25 year old vehicle? Daily drive, not own. I can't think of one person in my neighborhood, and we have a bunch of old folks that theoretically should be driving old cars. So maybe less than 5%? Thats hardly "causing all the pollution".
So why not require them to be maintained like any other car?
post #23 of 33 Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
So why not require them to be maintained like any other car?
What is to say that they aren't maintained? If they're daily driven cars, they're maintained. Why not save the owners the hassle and just do away with it?
post #24 of 33 Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Moderator & USAF Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS347 View Post
What is to say that they aren't maintained? If they're daily driven cars, they're maintained. Why not save the owners the hassle and just do away with it?
Why not save *everyone* the hassle then, and just skip the testing altogether since everyone has a daily driver that must be maintained? If there's a standard out there, everyone needs to meet it equally. Something that never seems very clear in this subforum.

In any event, I think you have too much faith in the owners of crappy old cars which are daily driven, as at least a good portion of them are not maintained very well.
post #25 of 33 Old 07-15-2011, 01:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
cmdrtask maybe you don't understand how emissions testing works, at least in the state of california when they are most stringent. Testing a vehicle involves comparing the emissions on the tested vehicle with the average emissions of same SAME model vehicle from a group of cars tested in the previous year. That average changes every year and becomes more laxed as the average group of vehicles wears down year after year. OBVIOUSLY every vehicle emits different amounts of co2. How is it fair to make older vehicles meet emissions requirements set 20 years later? There is no logic in that at all.

I went through the CA emissions requirements around 2000 before I moved out of the state and they are a complete joke. They were failing me for visual modifications regardless of my actual co2 output. My test figures were cleaner than the average mustang of that year WITH the supercharger and yet the failed me for not being able to check timing on the car with the blower bracket in the way. The whole emissions testing BS is a way for the state to make money not actually fix a problem. The people in charge of managing the emissions testing and implementing testing procedures are flunky dropouts who couldn't find their way around a bathroom. I've posted this documentation in a thread before just to shut up the naysayers who refused to believe the state is that retarded. I find it disheartening that people put so much faith in state run agencies that they are run responsibly and efficiently, but its hardly the case. What a waste of tax payer dollars to run these services. It's all about money and appeasing small interest groups who lobby these programs with very little insight on how to oversee its execution efficiently and fairly.
post #26 of 33 Old 08-03-2011, 04:19 AM
Moderator & USAF Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
cmdrtask maybe you don't understand how emissions testing works, at least in the state of california when they are most stringent.
Hustler, maybe you don't understand that we aren't discussing California here, and as such your entire post is not applicable to this thread.

If you're interested to see that there are currently graduated standards for vehicles in Arizona based on age, feel free to follow this link: http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/download/dyna.pdf and check the standards yourself. Or go here: ADEQ: Air Quality Division: Vehicle Emissions to read about the entire Arizona testing program.
post #27 of 33 Old 08-06-2011, 08:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
cmdrstask, cars 67 and older are exempt. Cars from 68-95 are emission tested and HAVE to pass. 96 and newer get an OBD check. I think any car that came with catalytic converters from the factory should be tested and have to pass regardless of year.
post #28 of 33 Old 08-11-2011, 12:27 AM

Garage
Actually my 90 GT has been listed as a classic here in AZ for the last 2years and is emissions exempt. All that is required is collector car insurance. There is a limitation on allowable mileage use though, but for me that's ok. My GT has had only 3000 miles logged on in the last 11yrs I've been in AZ so this bill suits me fine.

-90GT (Original owner MM&FF 7/13)-CHP 349 Stroker, Paxton Novi2000, Ben Alameda Ported Twisted Wedge Heads, Ben Alameda Ported Cobra Intake, Comp Cam, Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Kit, BE Tuned
-92 SSP Coupe- GT40 Heads, E303 Cam, TFS intake, Nitrous Express Proton Kit
post #29 of 33 Old 08-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Moderator & USAF Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novi347 View Post
Actually my 90 GT has been listed as a classic here in AZ for the last 2years and is emissions exempt. All that is required is collector car insurance. There is a limitation on allowable mileage use though, but for me that's ok. My GT has had only 3000 miles logged on in the last 11yrs I've been in AZ so this bill suits me fine.
So what you're saying is that this bill would actually not have any impact on you, or others with "collector cars", since you're already exempt?
post #30 of 33 Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
So what you're saying is that this bill would actually not have any impact on you, or others with "collector cars", since you're already exempt?
Correct. Back in 2007, AZ passed legislation that allows any car that is 15 years or older to be exempt from emissions if it carries collector-car insurance. Not all 15 year old cars can get classic car insurance, but the mustang can. I have many friends with fox bodies that have been exempt from emissions since this passed. This new bill allows any car that is 25 years or older to be exempt, regardless of whether or not it has classic car insurance. Before the car had to be pre-1967 to be exempt with out classic car insurance.

• Existing law in Arizona only exempts pre-1967 model year vehicles and those vehicles designated as “collectible.”

89 GT - Brought it down to the bare shell, rebuilding it the right way.

Last edited by bleeatch; 09-13-2011 at 10:21 PM.
post #31 of 33 Old 12-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (14)
what ever came of this?? got pushed to the back burner or died?
post #32 of 33 Old 12-25-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvo View Post
what ever came of this?? got pushed to the back burner or died?
Arizona SB1324 passed and was signed in to law back in April. However, I guess the version that was passed was the House version which only extended the current exemption from anything pre-67 to pre-74, not anything older than 25 years.

The bill still does not change the exemption for cars 15 years or older that carry classic car insurance though.

http://www.azleg.gov/DocumentsForBil..._Number=SB1324

89 GT - Brought it down to the bare shell, rebuilding it the right way.
post #33 of 33 Old 07-09-2012, 02:28 PM

I think they reached a good compromise on the bill. It's a good way to keep classic cars on the road. You can always check out a car repair forum to see if your ride will pass the emissions testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement