SAN Opposes EPA Expansion of E15 Waiver to MY 2001 and Newer Cars - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-21-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Exclamation SAN Opposes EPA Expansion of E15 Waiver to MY 2001 and Newer Cars

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62860

Several weeks ago, the SEMA Action Network (SAN) requested that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) suspend its partial waiver to permit the sale of gasoline containing 15 percent ethanol (E15) for model year 2007 and newer vehicles. Instead, the EPA has taken another step in the wrong direction by expanding the waiver to include MY 2001-2006 vehicles. The decision conflicts with President Obama’s Executive Order from earlier this week that requires government agencies to balance social and economic costs.

The EPA agrees with SAN that older cars (pre-MY 2001) should not be fueled with E15. The EPA reached its decision based over concern that ethanol’s corrosive qualities could harm the vehicle’s engine and other metal, plastic and rubber components. The EPA has proposed that a warning label be posted on the gas pump to prevent misfueling. SAN opposes this solution as incomplete given the significant threat of damage that could arise from misfueling. Even for newer vehicles, the label will cause confusion since most owner’s manuals instruct the motorist not to use ethanol blends higher than E10 and warranty coverage may be denied for damage caused by misfueling.

SAN will continue to oppose E15 until there are conclusive scientific findings that demonstrate that it will not harm automobiles of any age as a result of corrosion or other chemical incompatibilities.

Please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby!

Protect Your Passion! Join the SEMA Action Network (SAN) TODAY at www.SEMASAN.com!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-21-2011, 08:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
How do you, the faceless poster for the PAC, feel about this personally?

post #3 of 9 Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Corral Day Kittah

I wouldn't be surprised if he, like myself, is sick of crappy, vehicle destructing "fuel" being sold under the impression that it will have any impact on emissions much less our fuel consumption. And that it's yet another government reg being shoved down our collective throats with no regard for those of us that have older, strong performing vehicles that keep them that way by continuing to boost the economy in the form of parts as well as paying all our bills, each and every month with the money we save by not buying a brand new car from organizations like Government Motors.

Just a guess. And I know who he is, dot. He's not exactly faceless - maybe we can get him to post a pic of himself and his car(s).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC LX View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he, like myself, is sick of crappy, vehicle destructing "fuel" being sold under the impression that it will have any impact on emissions much less our fuel consumption. And that it's yet another government reg being shoved down our collective throats with no regard for those of us that have older, strong performing vehicles that keep them that way by continuing to boost the economy in the form of parts as well as paying all our bills, each and every month with the money we save by not buying a brand new car from organizations like Government Motors.

Just a guess. And I know who he is, dot. He's not exactly faceless - maybe we can get him to post a pic of himself and his car(s).
My lawnmower and snowblower were recalled due to the fact the ethanol fuel Ill requires to be sold eats the needle on the carbs in them.

mark
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
post #5 of 9 Old 01-28-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
How do you, the faceless poster for the PAC, feel about this personally?
I have no problem running fuels that would be cleaner or more efficient... so long as they don't damage my engine.

If you wanted to see my face, you shouldn't have asked! http://www.semasan.com/Main/Main.aspx?id=62823

Protect Your Passion! Join the SEMA Action Network (SAN) TODAY at www.SEMASAN.com!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-28-2011, 02:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Well I think you're hot. I want to be besties.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Why isn't there this much backlash against road salt? You buy a car in 2000, in 2010 the entire thing has been consumed and sent to the scrap yard. But some tree-sitter in East Bum####, Tennessee finds a spot of corrosion in a needle valve in a lawnmower he hasn't used in 8 years and ethanol becomes the first horseman of the apocalypse.

this post property of RAYMOND
post #8 of 9 Old 01-28-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray III View Post
Why isn't there this much backlash against road salt? You buy a car in 2000, in 2010 the entire thing has been consumed and sent to the scrap yard. But some tree-sitter in East Bum####, Tennessee finds a spot of corrosion in a needle valve in a lawnmower he hasn't used in 8 years and ethanol becomes the first horseman of the apocalypse.
I agree on the salt. It would be ok with me if they quit using it. Do they use it in Colorado? I will say that my 04 F150 doesn't like ethanol. Well, I don't like it in the truck because it causes a milky buildup in the oil cap. Can't be good under the valve cover. I blame the rediculous emissions that don't allow the engine to be properly ventilated not the ethanol though.

'67 notchback 289 Mustang - first car.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC LX View Post

Eh +1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement