Considering buying V6 2011-2013 mustang (manual tranny scares) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-15-2012, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Considering buying V6 2011-2013 mustang (manual tranny scares)

Hello All,

I am new here. I have been considering getting a mustang for a while now.
I have read all about the 2011-12 manual transmissions issues.
I read about the investigation a couple of months ago and now they closed it and offer a few minor adjustments. Has anyone had any first had issues with their manual transmission? Have they tried fords "fixes"?

I have read issues including-
Trouble shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear (grinding)
Issues in colder weather.
Trouble shifting at higher rpm.
Clutch pedal sticking.
etc

Web sites I have gotten some into from.

NHTSA Ends Investigation Into Mustang Manual Transmission (Page 2)

Issues with shifting

This has video of a guy driving his 2012 Boss 302 on a track and issues shifting.
2011-2012 Ford Mustang Manual Transmission Recall - Latest Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion

I love the look of the car and would like to own a manual.
Although all these issues does make me reconsider.
A lot of people online wont touch the manual trannys due to the issues.

I also wonder if they fixed anything in the 2013 manual?

Any feedback or knowledge would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-20-2012, 01:43 PM

I just bought a 6 spd 2011 and it is a little crunchy going into 2nd when cold and occasionally when warm. I'm planning to ask the dealer to fix it. We'll see what happens.

My car has 45,000 miles on it and the problem is very livable. So - I wouldn't tell anyone not to buy the car based on how mine works. I'm used to driving older vehicles and normally I would just drive a vehicle with a manual transmission that works like this one. However, being that this car isn't that old (and has a warranty), I'm hoping the dealer will improve it.

My car has never locked me out of a gear - once I learned where the gears were located.

2016 GT350
'70 convertible 302/C4
post #3 of 3 Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM

I have a 2012. The MT82 is not the best trans. But for the money it's pretty good. Here's a tip. ALWAYS press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor when shifting and make this a habbit. Everyone wants to press the pedal just enough to change gears and go. That won't work with this deal. More trans damage is done with bad clutch operation than anything else. It's a hydraulic clutch and engagement isn't like a mechanical arm. It is what it is. A better shifter is a good investment. Remember, there are many thousands of people driving without issues. If it's really a problem bring it to a dealer while under warranty. After that, stay the hell out of that dealers repair bay and find a decent trans shop. Trust no one. Enjoy that Mustang and the great fuel mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement