First 5 months with my 2012 V-6, 6-speed. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
First 5 months with my 2012 V-6, 6-speed.

Hi, since this part of the forum is so slow I thought I would write down some thoughts on my car which is a black, base model with a manual tranny.

MPG-Wow, I don't drive the car every day, but when I do it is mainly on road trips and going down the freeway in 6th gear, it will get 31 MPG and even driving in town I have yet to see it go below 25 MPG no matter how I am driving it. My old 2000 V-6 car never got close to that. MPG is not that big of deal to me, but with gas at 4.25 a gallon, it does help make the car payment.

Engine-It took me some time to find that power up in the upper RPM band and think it would be better if it made some more of its power a little lower down. Just not used to running a Mustang up that close to the redline.

6-Speed-After buying the car, of course I found out about all the problems they where having with them, but no problems so far. From day one though, I have always let the car warm-up for a couple minutes before leaving and the 6-Speed does take some getting used to. So besides my wife and myself, no one else drives the car....period.

Fit and finish-No problems to report at all, but wow, black paint is hard to keep looking nice.

Suspension-The front spoiler is so low that I can't imagine taking the car down any lower, but on uneven surfaces on the back country roads around my place, it does float a little under power. Don't think the springs are the problem, I do think some good aftermarket shocks will help a lot and will be the first mod I do to the car.

Sleeper? I have already had some fun with people showing a real lack of respect to what they think is a 200 hp Mustang instead of the 300 HP car that hooks-up very nicely compared to 1960's technology. So I do think of this car as a bit of a sleeper.

Overall, I have been very happy indeed for the 20 grand I got this car for and if it holds up like my 2000 did, I can see keeping it for many years in the future.

PNW Pony
2012 Mustang V-6, 6-Speed
1973 Ford F-250 Ranger (mechanically restored, original paint still shiny)
1994 Ford Ranger Stepside (grocery getter)
Old broken down sportscar in the garage (only swear words can describe it)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-25-2012, 01:14 PM

Nice writeup. Thanks for the info.

2016 GT350
'70 convertible 302/C4
post #3 of 5 Old 12-15-2012, 01:09 AM

glad

Glad your happy with your car PNW Pony.
I like the 2011 and 2012 body styles the most.
I am considering getting a mustang at the moment I have none.
I am a lil concerned about the manual transmission issues.
I have read a bunch about online.
I hope to get more info from other mustang owners.
Nice to read that your enjoying yours.
Looks nice too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-08-2013, 12:14 PM

I feel the same way with my 2012, love it. Black is a challenge. Meguires has a couple wax products you might try. It's called ULTIMATE wash wax and Ultimate wax. 100% synthetic. Great on black cars. I use a California car duster between drives to get the dust off then a quick wipe with ultimate spray and wipe. Done.
Imagine, this car with a V6 and 6 speed is quicker that most of the showroom 60s killer muscle cars. It would waste a Boss302 or Z28 without breaking a sweat, and get over 30mpg. That's insane. I drove those cars back in the day. Fun,yes. But they were far from the performance of today. Point bounce, terrible exhausts, tires from hell, wheel hop, smog crap, mutiple carbs, solid lifters and heavy! Without headers, slicks and traction bars you had nothing. Glad we progressed. Wouldn't go back for nothing.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Took a ride in a co-worker's 13 the other night. It broke the tires loose even into the 2-3 shift (manual trans.). It is a Mustang Club of America edition - grey. It's a gorgeous car, plenty of power. Lot of car for the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement