Here it is...official Ford press release on the GT500 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Here it is...official Ford press release on the GT500

http://media.ford.com/products/press...421&make_id=92

OVERVIEW

The most powerful factory-built Ford Mustang in history will take to the street next year, following a unique collaboration between performance car legend Carroll Shelby and the Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT).

Ford took the wraps off the 450-plus horsepower Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 show car at the New Year International Auto Show March 23. Designed in the unmistakable image of Shelby Mustangs of the 1960s, the Shelby Cobra GT500 melds SVT's modern engineering with the big-block performance that made the original GT500 the king of the road.

"The all-new 2005 Ford Mustang is one of the hottest cars in many years," says Phil Martens, Ford group vice president, Product Creation. "Its chassis was engineered from the beginning to be the basis of a high-performance, world-class sports car from SVT, and the Shelby Cobra GT500 is it."

Carroll Shelby lends his support to SVT, adapting his earlier role as a senior advisor on the "Dream Team" that was assembled to develop and build the 2005 Ford GT.

Carroll Shelby, shown in the GT500 prototype.

"I've worked with the SVT guys for several years now, and I know they have the guts, the talent and the passion to deliver the best performance Mustangs ever," says Shelby.

A production version of the GT500 will go on sale in 2006, continuing the high-performance lineage of the SVT Mustang Cobra model line. It will be followed by a steady stream of performance products developed by SVT, possibly including a version of the production-intent Sport Trac Adrenalin, the industry's first performance sport-utility truck.

"SVT led the modern-day factory performance trend with the Mustang Cobra and the industry's first high-performance truck, the F-150 Lightning," says Hau Thai-Tang, director, Ford Advanced Product Creation and SVT. "Today, we're building on that pioneering vision with vehicles like the Ford GT, Shelby Cobra GT500 and Sport Trac Adrenalin – great performance machines that connect with enthusiasts in a way no other companies or vehicles can match."

The production GT500 will be the first in a string of specialty Mustangs that SVT will help deliver. This will create Ford Motor Company's – and one of the industry's – broadest product portfolio, stretching from under $20,000 for the V-6 Mustang coupe to the 450-plus-horsepower GT500, each offering performance and value.

The GT500 and the production-intent Sport Trac Adrenalin teaser accelerate the wave of momentum at SVT since the launch of the 2005 Ford GT supercar. SVT also now will develop non-SVT branded Ford Division performance vehicles – including heritage-based performance Mustangs in the spirit of the 2001 Bullitt GT and 2003 Mach 1 – as it becomes more directly integrated into Ford's mainstream product development process.

Shelby Cobra GT500's supercharged 5.4-liter DOHC V-8 produces over 450 hp

Just as the original Shelby GT500 was the "step up" to big-block power from the GT350, the new Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 steps up to Ford's 5.4-liter "MOD" V-8. The result? The GT500 is the most powerful factory Mustang ever. Its supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 evolves from SVT's experience with supercharging the "MOD" engine to deliver more than 450 horsepower and 450 foot-pounds of torque.

Under the striped, powerdome hood lurks the most powerful factory Mustang engine ever with more than 450 hp, 450 lb.-ft. of torque.

The cast-iron-block, four-valve engine is force-fed an air-and-fuel mixture via a screw-type supercharger at 8.5 pounds per square inch of boost. Aluminum cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings sourced from the Ford GT program bring a high level of proven durability to the drivetrain, while upgraded cooling components promise longevity. "Powered by SVT" camshaft covers are the finishing touch to the engine.

"This version of the 5.4-liter V-8 has a higher horsepower rating than any other factory Mustang in history," says Jay O'Connell, SVT chief vehicle engineer. "It really delivers on the essence of two great names in Ford performance – a mix of SVT's modern-day experience with supercharging and the Shelby GT500's heritage of big-block power."

The engine has been further tuned from its first application in a Mustang, the 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R, a limited edition model of 300 units.

Helping to put the power of the GT500's supercharged V-8 to the pavement is a T-56 six-speed manual gearbox. The evenly spaced gears mean less stirring is needed to find the "sweet spot" in keeping the revs "on cam" for power to pass, while at the same time making the most of the engine's broad torque curve. The heavy-duty transmission has proven itself a willing companion to V-8 power in Mustangs in both road and track environments, including the 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R, 2004 SVT Mustang Cobra and the new race-winning Ford Racing Mustang FR500C.

Great power requires great control

The great Shelby Mustangs of the 1960s were anything but one-trick ponies. They earned their stripes on twisty roads and race tracks across America and Europe. The Shelby Cobra GT500 show car continues that legacy of all-around performance.

The GT500 starts with the solid 2005 Mustang underpinnings. The all-new Mustang's platform was designed from the beginning with performance derivatives in mind, providing an exceptionally rigid, well-engineered starting point for SVT chassis engineers.

Using real-world experience gained during more than 12 years of building great-handling SVT Mustang Cobras, SVT engineers retune and upgrade key chassis components. Improvements such as revised shocks, spring rates and upgraded stabilizer bars help the GT500 stop and turn with the same authority as it goes.

Shelby Cobra GT500 features race-proven architecture shared with the Ford Racing Mustang FR500C.

The GT500 features a MacPherson strut independent front suspension with "Reverse L" lower control arms, and a solid-axle, three-link rear suspension with coil springs and a Panhard rod for precise control of the rear axle.

This rear suspension design has been validated on the track by Ford Racing. The race-prepared Ford Racing Mustang FR500C was purpose-built from the base 2005 Mustang body structure and suspension geometry to run in the Grand-Am Cup series, a class of road racing for production-based cars. Competing against the best from Germany and Japan, a Mustang FR500C competed in and won its first ever race in the season-opener at Daytona International Speedway in February 2005.

"SVT and Ford Racing will be working closer than ever as we go forward on future projects, especially Mustangs," says Thai-Tang, a Ford Racing alumnus who served as the race engineer for the Newman-Haas Racing team in 1993. "The Mustang FR500C racing program is an exact demonstration of the capability we engineered into the mainstream Mustang to be capable of. Now, we have both a Daytona victory and the return of the Shelby Cobra GT500 to showcase Mustang performance possibilities."

To match this power and handling ability, SVT fitted some of the biggest brakes in the business to the GT500. Fourteen-inch cross-drilled Brembo rotors up front and 13-inch discs in the rear continue SVT's legacy of great-braking Mustangs. Secure footing is provided by 19-inch wheels wrapped in high-performance tires.

The snake is back – Legendary looks with SVT function

The Shelby Cobra GT500 combines the dramatic design genes of the all-new Mustang with Carroll Shelby's legendary performance image to create an SVT Mustang that broadens the power brand's design approach and appeal.
1968 Shelby GT500 was one of many Mustangs that served as the design inspiration for the new Shelby Cobra GT500.

"The restrained, performance-oriented SVT design theme has become instantly recognizable to enthusiasts without brash styling cues," says Doug Gaffka, design director, Ford SVT vehicles. "The GT500 takes a huge leap forward by combining the modern Mustang muscle car with the classic Shelby performance look to expand SVT's reach to a much bigger audience."

The 2005 Mustang design team drew inspiration from classic Shelby Mustangs, the models that transformed the mild-mannered pony car into a muscle car with attitude. Envisioning an SVT model, the team tested GT500 design cues on the Mustang GT coupe concept that was unveiled at the 2003 North American International Auto Show. In 2004, designers further developed the GT500 look on the Mustang GT-R, a race-bred concept with the dual purpose of foreshadowing SVT's Mustang design direction and Ford Racing's plans to return Mustang to road racing.

The GT500 now comes into full light, punctuated by the classic LeMans-style white stripes that race along the top of the show car's "SVT Red" paint from nose to tail. The stripes recall the Shelby Mustangs that marked another important 1960's Mustang transition when Ford put it on the track to becoming a racing legend. The GT500 nomenclature is prominent in the lower bodyside racing stripe, another cue from the classic Shelby Mustangs.

"The new Mustang has classic design cues from some of the best-looking Mustangs of all-time, including the Shelbys," says Keith Rogman, Mustang senior designer. "The design of the GT500 has been at the forefront of our minds since the outset of the entire Mustang program."

The Shelby design elements alone are enough to tell the GT500 story but are not the only visual cues that set this Mustang apart. The reworked front fascia features a functional air splitter and the unique hood has heat-extraction ducts, combining to provide improved airflow and aerodynamics. Revised headlamp insets offer a more aggressive look and result in symmetrical upper and lower grilles with large air openings, creating a visual connection to vintage Shelby Mustangs.

The unique rear fascia features strakes inspired by the Ford GT's integrated rear airflow diffuser, and a rear spoiler reminiscent of a classic GT500. To mark the collaboration of two Mustang performance icons, the GT500 features Shelby and SVT badging.

Continuing the snake logo tradition of past-generation SVT Mustang Cobras, as well as late-model Shelby Mustangs, the fenders each feature an updated design of the Cobra. For the first time on any SVT Mustang, the front grille features an off-center snake in place of the standard running horse. "GT500" is emblazoned inside the side rocker stripes, and the name "SHELBY" is prominently featured across the rear deck. The SVT logo can be seen on the wheel center caps, a signature SVT location, as well as on the doorsill plates. To top if off, the "gas cap" medallion between the taillights reads "Shelby GT500" centered on the Cobra image.

The interior is completely wrapped in ebony black leather, including the top of the dash, door panels and center arm rest. Also wrapped in ebony leather are the shift lever, shift boot and parking-brake handle. SVT Red leather seat and door panel inserts provide a marked contrast to the rest of the leather-trimmed cabin, surrounding the performance enthusiast with luxury and comfort. Snake logos embroidered into the seat backs finish the package.

"We've taken leather design trends to a new level by using it on almost every exposed surface in the GT500," says Rogman. "Leather has long been a performance fashion accessory for enthusiasts, from jackets to racing gloves, so it perfectly matches all the other driving oriented cues."

The Shelby GT500 script and Cobra image are repeated on the steering wheel cap. Behind the wheel are titanium-faced gauges swapped in location so that the tachometer is dominant visually for the driver. The chrome accessories inside the cabin have been replaced with a satin aluminum finish, including the aluminum shift lever knob that is nicely positioned for quick, positive shifts of the six-speed transmission.

SVT and Shelby: The Legends Grow

With the look and legend one would expect from Carroll Shelby and the kind of power and performance enthusiasts have come to expect from SVT, the GT500 show car points to a brand new era in Ford Motor Company's performance future.

"Carroll Shelby is truly a living automotive legend, a Ford performance legend," says Martens. "It's a dream come true to be able to put the Shelby name on a Mustang again."

Carroll Shelby first put his name on a Mustang back in 1964 when he was asked to inject some high performance into the brand-new pony car. The result was the GT350R, a lightweight, handling-focused race car that earned the Mustang its first performance credentials. Subsequent Shelby Mustangs included a street version of the race car, the GT350, and what was known as the "rent-a-racer" Mustang, the GT350H, a joint project with the Hertz rental car corporation.

The ultimate Shelby Mustang of the era was the GT500KR, or "King of the Road." Powered by a big block 428-cubic inch "Cobra Jet" V-8, the GT500KR was one of the most powerful, and memorable, muscle cars of that period. Shelby Mustang production ceased in 1970 with a total volume of 14,559 units.

The Ford Special Vehicle Team brought performance back to Mustang in 1993. After 12 years and with nearly 80,000 high-performance Mustangs on the streets, and a total SVT vehicle production nearing 145,000 vehicles, SVT is primed for growth with the GT500 serving as the foundation for other performance Mustang projects.

By bringing together Carroll Shelby and Ford SVT, the company's commitment to performance becomes as powerful as at any time in its history - including the famed "Total Performance" days of the 1960s. From the Ford GT supercar, the GT500, to a rejuvenated Ford Racing Performance Parts program - performance and racing adds luster to its proud brand heritage.

"SVT has been and will remain the leader in performance vehicle engineering and marketing," says Martens. "SVT remains unique in offering the total performance experience. The return of Carroll Shelby to our performance family only strengthens our firepower."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 04:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
WOW...

I read the article then sat back and stared at the computer screen for a moment. I once thought that i was so unlucky to have been born after the Muscle Car era. I take it back.

WOW.

1993 Mustang GT
Maximum Motorsports, Brembo, Recaro, Etc.
post #3 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 04:30 PM

It's going to be a MONSTER.

90 triple black lx vert, Holley Intake, AFR 185's,Turbonetics T 76, PA Super Comp C4
post #5 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 04:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
intercooled?

particularly non-stock 99 Cobra w/brand C motor...
post #6 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (92)
It's going to have a monster price tag, that's for sure, seeing as the crate motor alone costs 40K (assuming its the same as the Ford GT engine).

As far as the looks go. The wing is good, but I can't say I like the front end or the use of the same body accent stripe as the '05 6 cylinder, even if Shelby had it first.

The wheels also kind of suck.

Looks like I better start saving my nickels. LOL!

Steve

2003 NMRA "Evil Twin" Pure Street championship car
(Driver: Darin Hendricks Crew Chief: Me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
82 Ford Fairmont…NMRA FS 6777 (sealed CS Coyote engine)
www.coyotestock.com
post #7 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 05:25 PM

The solid rear axle supprised me. Maybe the IRS couldn't handle the torque?

1986 LX conv. w/ '85 GT 5.0L, 600cfm Holley, MSD, K&N, ceramic shorties, 2.5" O/R h-pipe, Superturbos, MM sub-frames, 3-core radiator, 3g Alt., Mark IIIV fan
Best 1/8 mile 9.56 @ 71.63mph - 2.1 60ft
Former 3.8L V-6 - best 1/8 mile 11.22
post #8 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado
The solid rear axle supprised me. Maybe the IRS couldn't handle the torque?
Mostly likely they couldn't do an IRS with everything else for under $40K.

'12 MB SLS AMG Designo
MHP v3 CDT:513rwhp/440rwtq SAE

'12 MB E63 AMG
MHP v3 CDT:618rwhp/740rwtq SAE
post #9 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 05:38 PM

450/450 on 255 series 19" wheels. hmmm I wonder if they will have an option for drag tires just so you can hook up

2014 Camaro 1LE
2001 Cobra White SOLD
1989 Mustang GT "F0xR0d" SOLD
12.49 @ 116.8 mph (BFG KDW Street tire)
post #10 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 06:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Boooiiiinnnngggg!!!

2005 Cadillac CTS-V
- '96 Cobra 13.45 at 104.458 mph
- '89 GT
- '94 GT Convertible 13.905 at 100.41 mph
post #11 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 07:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Smile

OMFG.

Gentlemen......that WILL be my next car

Sucks about the iron block, though.....

'97 Cobra (blk/blk)
'04 Lightning (blk/gray)
post #12 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prez1967
WOW...

I read the article then sat back and stared at the computer screen for a moment. I once thought that i was so unlucky to have been born after the Muscle Car era. I take it back.

WOW.

DITTO.

01COBRA

JLT CAI
Pro-M 87
Ported Short Runner Intake
Diablo Chip (Shawn Ellis)
MAFterburner
JDM (KOOKS) Long Tubes
Magnaflow O/R X pipe
FR500 Catback

331 rwhp(@ 5600 RPM) & 325 rwtq
post #13 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 08:46 PM

I like it, but I think it will be expensive. Still, she's is pretty.

Current Vehicle: 2004 SVT Cobra
Previous Vehicles: 2002 Mustang GT
1998 Mustang GT

Last edited by TorchedGT; 03-22-2005 at 08:48 PM.
post #14 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 09:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I hate the stripes, especially the rocker panel stripes. Not really a big fan of Shelby themes on newer Mustangs. The wheels are...ehh, okay. It seems Ford is getting more and more boring with their wheel styles, but that won't sell the car.

The blown 5.4 DOHC is what I'm loving. I can't wait to see how it will do up against the C6 Z06.

I'm really curious though as to what the price will be. Somehow, I just don't see it being the same as what the Terminators MSRP'd for. I'm thinking Ford will put it in the lower $40k.

Kevin
post #15 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 09:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Smile

I'm also not digging the stripes.....make mine black or red with no stripes or Shelby badges.

I've never wanted a red car as much as this Cobra

'97 Cobra (blk/blk)
'04 Lightning (blk/gray)
post #16 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 11:16 PM

I am buying one, no doubt!
post #17 of 124 Old 03-22-2005, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93FIVEOH

The blown 5.4 DOHC is what I'm loving. I can't wait to see how it will do up against the C6 Z06.
Stock vs Stock it won't run with a current '06 Z06....unless Ford managed to dump a whole lot of weight out of it. If current weight figures of an '05 GT ( SVT didn't help matters with the iron block ) are any indication the Z06 has a sizeable weight advantage seeing as it weighs in at a paltry 3150 lbs (Mustang GT's advertised curb weight is 3500+ lbs) A lot will come down to what the each of these car's actually put out power wise seeing as most people who claim to be in the know say the new Shelby is underrtated power wise and many from the Vette camp are saying the same ( I've heard rumors the Z06 puts out very close to 500 rwhp)

Bottom line....really no point in guessing right now because we still have a ways to wait before the new car even gets built seeing as they won't be going on sale for a good year from now. For all we know the 2007 Z06 could be even more powerful and faster than the '06. I'm interested to see what pricing is going to be as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that a MSRP is curiously missing from the official press release. I'll bet it's at least $40K.

My Website:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 01:16 AM
Corral Elite Member

The GT500 is a pulley/tune away from absolutely destroying the new Z06.

'12 MB SLS AMG Designo

'12 MB E63 AMG
post #19 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourcam330
The GT500 is a pulley/tune away from absolutely destroying the new Z06.
You guys seem to forget that the vette is a few hundred pounds lighter.

Last edited by serpentnoir; 03-23-2005 at 07:28 AM.
post #20 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentnoir
Maybe you forget how much power a blown factory DEtuned 5.4L can make with a pulley and a tune?

They'll make up for a couple of hundred pounds.

'13 Boss 302#2578; Recaro/Thorsen, 1.5" drop, X-pipe+Corsas
'92 Convertible 5.0 LX; DIY 306 and DIY MP70 turbo. (Compucar is gone but not forgotten
)

'98 Cobra#1170; JLT, Tri-Ax, 4.30's-SOLD
post #21 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 01:37 PM

Sweet! I wish I could sell my 05 Gt and get me one of those.

Why do people compare the Corvete to the Mustang? the Corvete is 50,60,$70,000. A Mustang is from low 20,000 - 40,000 max we all hope! I don't want the Mustang to cost 50,000 then I couldn't own one.

89 notch, 472 cubic inch, 75mm turbo
post #22 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got N2O
Maybe you forget how much power a blown factory DEtuned 5.4L can make with a pulley and a tune?
They'll make up for a couple of hundred pounds.
It sure moves my 4900 lb Lightning along pretty well. And that's with only two cams, a giant-ass automatic transmission and the aerodynamic profile of Mt Rushmore.

I don't know if the new Cobra will out 1/4 mile the Z06 or not, and neither does anybody esle, but I wouldn't be too quick to bet against it.

Some crazy idiot will have one in the 9s sometime next summer I'm betting.

Steve

2003 NMRA "Evil Twin" Pure Street championship car
(Driver: Darin Hendricks Crew Chief: Me
)
82 Ford Fairmont…NMRA FS 6777 (sealed CS Coyote engine)
www.coyotestock.com
post #23 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:

You seem to forget how much potential is left in the new motor. We'll have 450-500rwhp from the factory, with a pulley and tune, 700rwhp isn't out of the question.

'12 MB SLS AMG Designo

'12 MB E63 AMG

Last edited by Fourcam330; 03-23-2005 at 02:56 PM.
post #24 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 02:52 PM

That thing has to make much more than 450hp! The exhaust is proberly more restrictive than the Ford GT, but I don't think it is a 100hp restriction.
450hp=

1986 LX conv. w/ '85 GT 5.0L, 600cfm Holley, MSD, K&N, ceramic shorties, 2.5" O/R h-pipe, Superturbos, MM sub-frames, 3-core radiator, 3g Alt., Mark IIIV fan
Best 1/8 mile 9.56 @ 71.63mph - 2.1 60ft
Former 3.8L V-6 - best 1/8 mile 11.22
post #25 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXguy
Some crazy idiot will have one in the 9s sometime next summer I'm betting.

Steve
That's a safe bet

'12 MB SLS AMG Designo

'12 MB E63 AMG
post #26 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
You seem to forget how much potential is left in the new motor. We'll have 450-500rwhp from the factory, with a pulley and tune, 700rwhp isn't out of the question.
A guy who has 75k to buy the new Z06 also has the money to upgrade it. 1000hp with twin turbo is not out of the question for the vette. If you have money the sky is the limit. So where does it end?

There is so much technology these days to make cars go fast that the old "GM vs Ford vs DCX" just doesn't make sense anymore. If the guy next to you has a bigger credit card, then you will be out of luck. It's that simple.

post #27 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
A guy who has 75k to buy the new Z06 also has the money to upgrade it. 1000hp with twin turbo is not out of the question for the vette. If you have money the sky is the limit. So where does it end?

There is so much technology these days to make cars go fast that the old "GM vs Ford vs DCX" just doesn't make sense anymore. If the guy next to you has a bigger credit card, then you will be out of luck. It's that simple.

I agree with that statement, however, with an extra ~$60k in the Shelby owner's pocket, fate would once again favor the stang--there are a few guys currently shooting for 1000rwhp on pump gas with TT GT 5.4s. For those that aren't going to rip the motor open (of either car) right away, the Ford would win hands down in a bolt on contest. I understand your logic, but I haven't seen many $100,000/1000rwhp vette's rolling around either. I guess what I'm trying to say is that dollar for dollar, mod for mod, the GT500s are going to be hard to beat.

'12 MB SLS AMG Designo

'12 MB E63 AMG

Last edited by Fourcam330; 03-23-2005 at 05:39 PM.
post #28 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=serpentnoir]A guy who has 75k to buy the new Z06 also has the money to upgrade it. 1000hp with twin turbo is not out of the question for the vette. If you have money the sky is the limit. So where does it end?

I don't know where you are from but everyone I know that owns a Zo6 does not have the money to do any mods. They will buy some sticky tires and go do alittle scca or they keep it locked up in their garage. I'm serious! I know some doctors that own Zo6's and rather spend thier money on their air planes than mess with more power. Today a Corvete seems to be more of a status symbol than anything. Most of the folks I know rather buy a Mustang, Evo or WRX sti and mod it than mess with a Corvete. More bang for the buck. Look at the drag races. How many Corvetes do you see? The only sport I see alot if any Corvetes is road racing if not Pro levels.
Ya their is some folks out there that have tt Corvetes. Deal is that most of them bought them from someone. They didn't do any of the work themselves. Mustang folks seem to be the more of hands on type people. The guys that like knowing that the work done on their car was done by them and they enjoyed doing it.

This is just my opinnion.

89 notch, 472 cubic inch, 75mm turbo
post #29 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I agree with that statement, however, with an extra ~$60k in the Shelby owner's pocket, fate would once again favor the stang--there are a few guys currently shooting for 1000rwhp on pump gas with TT GT 5.4s. For those that aren't going to rip the motor open (of either car) right away, the Ford would win hands down in a bolt on contest. I understand your logic, but I haven't seen many $100,000/1000rwhp vette's rolling around either. I guess what I'm trying to say is that dollar for dollar, mod for mod, the GT500s are going to be hard to beat.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Ford is doing this. This car is a huge improvement over the old one.

But let's face it, who needs a supercharged 5.4L motor in a car? No one. I am afraid we are heading for 1971 all over again. The government has been asking us to improve fuel economy and we turn around and say, "can't do it. Not safe for crash testing." At the same time, we (i'm talking auto industry here) spend R&D to cram more motor and more blower into a car that is decidedly more than most can handle on the street. The ending to this story is going to be ugly. Back in the 70's, the Big Three (or Big Four I should say) had a lot of power in congress with very few "enemies". Not so today. If I worked at the EPA, I'd make this new Cobra the poster child of why CAFE needs to be raised to 35miles per gallon. Stay tuned, it should be interesting.

Last edited by serpentnoir; 03-23-2005 at 06:15 PM.
post #30 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=move]
Quote:

I don't know where you are from but everyone I know that owns a Zo6 does not have the money to do any mods. They will buy some sticky tires and go do alittle scca or they keep it locked up in their garage. I'm serious! I know some doctors that own Zo6's and rather spend thier money on their air planes than mess with more power. Today a Corvete seems to be more of a status symbol than anything. Most of the folks I know rather buy a Mustang, Evo or WRX sti and mod it than mess with a Corvete. More bang for the buck. Look at the drag races. How many Corvetes do you see? The only sport I see alot if any Corvetes is road racing if not Pro levels.
Ya their is some folks out there that have tt Corvetes. Deal is that most of them bought them from someone. They didn't do any of the work themselves. Mustang folks seem to be the more of hands on type people. The guys that like knowing that the work done on their car was done by them and they enjoyed doing it.

This is just my opinnion.
Lingelfelter already has a LS2 vette package at 500hp. Just wait until he gets his hands (or his staff I should say, RIP) on the new Z06. I can see 600+ hp. No problems. And the car is 300lbs lighter.

Last edited by serpentnoir; 03-23-2005 at 06:26 PM.
post #31 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Ford is doing this. This car is a huge improvement over the old one.

But let's face it, who needs a supercharged 5.4L motor in a car? No one. I am afraid we are heading for 1971 all over again. The government has been asking us to improve fuel economy and we turn around and say, "can't do it. Not safe for crash testing." At the same time, we (i'm talking auto industry here) spend R&D to cram more motor and more blower into a car that is decidedly more than most can handle on the street. The ending to this story is going to be ugly. Back in the 70's, the Big Three (or Big Four I should say) had a lot of power in congress with very few "enemies". Not so today. If I worked at the EPA, I'd make this new Cobra the poster child of why CAFE needs to be raised to 35miles per gallon. Stay tuned, it should be interesting.

If it didn't have a 5.4, I wouldn't buy one period. In order to make the new Cobra perform as it should with a 4.6 would have required a lot of weight loss. That likely would have cost a good bit more than just throwing a more powerful motor in a heavier chassis.
You also have to remember that it's not just the big 3/4 American car manufacturers in a HP war, it's the entire world--even the Japanese seem to be coming around.
I personally hate CAFE and their lame MPG standards with passion. The last thing I want is a pillow biting tree hugger telling me that my car isn't efficient enough. If I actually gave a **** about fuel economy I'd buy a Honda.

'12 MB SLS AMG Designo

'12 MB E63 AMG

Last edited by Fourcam330; 03-23-2005 at 06:33 PM.
post #32 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Corral Elite Member

[QUOTE=serpentnoir]
Quote:
Originally Posted by move

Lingelfelter already has a LS2 vette package at 500hp. Just wait until he gets his hands (or his staff I should say, RIP) on the new Z06. I can see 600+ hp. No problems. And the car is 300lbs lighter.

The Lingenfelter package tacks on around $24k to the price of a regular C6 vette, and should kick out ~450rwhp. Still not enough to run with a BPU GT500, and already over $45k more expensive.

'12 MB SLS AMG Designo

'12 MB E63 AMG
post #33 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 06:38 PM

Quote:
But let's face it, who needs a supercharged 5.4L motor in a car? No one.
For that matter, who needs a supercharged 4.6L in a car, or a 300HP N/A 4.6L? Or a motor that makes over 200HP? All anyone really needs is a 50 HP diesel Jetta.

What matters is what I want. And I want this Shelby.

Quote:
I am afraid we are heading for 1971 all over again. The government has been asking us to improve fuel economy and we turn around and say, "can't do it. Not safe for crash testing." At the same time, we (i'm talking auto industry here) spend R&D to cram more motor and more blower into a car that is decidedly more than most can handle on the street.
Yep. That's just the way I like it.

'02 redfire GT, 5 speed
post #34 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 06:39 PM

Quote:
The last thing I want is a pillow biting tree hugger telling me that my car isn't efficient enough.
Granted, but Ford is giving them all the amunition they need. Remember the Excursion?

That's what's so nice about GM's approach: 400hp vette = 28 mpg. no one can bitch, not even the tree huggers.

post #35 of 124 Old 03-23-2005, 06:40 PM

Did anyone else see the engine stats? It's using cracked forged I-beam rods. We'll see how well they hold up. I'm betting the rods are gonna be a weak spot in this motor.

'02 redfire GT, 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement