Brake Help - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-23-2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Brake Help

I currently have a 89 mustang gt that is my daily drive. This upcoming road racing season Iam going to take her out on some open track days. My question is this if I change my rear brakes to lincoln mark seven brakes and keep my stock gt brakes up front are they going to me good enough to stop me at these high speed runs?
Thanks, Brandon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-23-2006, 08:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I wouldn't worry too much about the rear brakes since the front ones are stock. Your front ones will do the vast majority of the work anyway.

Your best bet is to get some quality pads (search this forum for lots of discussion on that), bleed your brake lines thoroughly or replace the fluid with Ford Heavy Duty brake fluid, and add some ducting if possible to cool off the front calipers (there are a few threads here about that as well).

Al H

1997 Cobra, Born 3/19/1997, #3978/6961
#49 CP, Mix of Maximum Motorsports, Agent 47, Fays2
2011 GT, Giving in to modifications
post #3 of 8 Old 01-23-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

So what I was thinking was to run hawk pads on my brakes but this is my daily driver so these brakes need to work before they get hot also if I change the brake fluid would I still stop as quick as I do now with stock brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-23-2006, 11:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
If you want to stick with Hawk pads, the HPS pads offer better performance than OEM and still have good bite when cold. They will wear pretty fast on the road course so it may be worth having a dedicated set of pads for that if you do it often enough. Changing the fluid will not have any effect on how quick the car stops. It will have an effect on when the fluid boils and the brakes fade. Not good when slowing down from 120 to 40 with little run off room. As long as the rotors are not worn substantially and you have more than half of your pad thickness left, there will be adequate material to absorb and dissipate heat as long as you don't over use the brakes. Fresh brake fluid has a higher boiling point than old fluid, and heavy duty fluid has a higher boiling point than stock. Ducts will help keep the rotors cooler as well. Brakes are usually the first system that shows weakness in a stock vehicle when driven hard on the track. It's also paid the least amount of attention to by novices until the pedal goes to the floor heading into a turn and your ******* tries to suck your seat into your colon as it puckers. With fairly minimal effort, you can avoid that uncomfortable sensation with some easy changes. Hope this helps.

Al H
post #5 of 8 Old 01-23-2006, 11:36 PM
two

Trader Feedback: (0)
If it helps you any, I flushed all my old fluid out with Motul 600 degree racing fluid, replaced front rubber lines with MM stainless and I use Hawk hps plus pads. This is obviously more than enough for the street, and is capable of multiple 100 mph slowdowns before fade and is very progressive when it does fade. However, this is merely a band-aid, if you want to stop repeatedly and safely upgrade to 5-lug and more efficient brakes. If you need to save up for wheels, spindles, axles, etc.... I recommend doing what I did. It'll cost you less than $200 and keep you safe untill you buy all the other stuff.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-23-2006, 11:56 PM

Brake Help

I've used EBC Red Stuff pads with good results, but not on a stock system, I've upgraded to the Cobra brakes on my Fox. I experienced no fade from the EBC pads despite many heavy braking "opportunities". You're stock setup won't last long on a road course, I've been there, but upgrading to the EBC or Hawk pads and dumping the rubber flex line for s.s. will help some. You're better off upgrading to a Cobra/Brembo/Baer setup if you're going to open track often.

91 LX, daily driver/open track car; 331 stroker, Edelbrock Performer heads and intake, both stage 2 ported, necessary supporting cast. FRPP Cobra M-2300-K, full Maximum Motorsports tubular k-member/torque arm setup, lots of others.

5 Mustangs and counting
post #7 of 8 Old 01-24-2006, 03:20 PM

Go to AutoZone and get the PF-Z pads (not the $30 ones, but the $70pads).

These are a "spirited" pad that work "ok" on the track. The nice part is when they start to fade, then you can back off a bit, and they come back (unlike stock). Once you consistently fade them, time to upgrade HARDWARE not pads.

Speaking from someone who took him 3 tries before he got it right.
(stock --> stock + pads --> Cobra M2300K 13" --> Brembo 13" )

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #8 of 8 Old 01-24-2006, 04:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drudis
Go to AutoZone and get the PF-Z pads (not the $30 ones, but the $70pads).

These are a "spirited" pad that work "ok" on the track. The nice part is when they start to fade, then you can back off a bit, and they come back (unlike stock). Once you consistently fade them, time to upgrade HARDWARE not pads.

Speaking from someone who took him 3 tries before he got it right.
(stock --> stock + pads --> Cobra M2300K 13" --> Brembo 13" )
I have been using the PF Z pads and have liked them for street and autocross. They also seem to be very clean too. I have been using Hawk HP+ pads in the rear (Cobra front/GT rear brakes) to get the rear into the adjustment range of my proportioning valve. They dust a lot and usually people ask why my back wheels are dirty and shouldnt it be the other way around. Too bad the PF Z pads don't have the lifetime replacement on them anymore.

Also, I notice that buyfordracing.com has the Brembo brakes for $800 (with plain rotors). Looks like it is time for me to upgrade soon.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement