Race tire flat spots. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-19-2006, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Race tire flat spots.

Well I discovered a new problem with the car

We had a brake problem that we solved a while back by installing hp plus pads. With the old pads I was using the brakes seemed to have two settings. off and locked up ...

Well now we notices that from all the lock ups certain sections of my front race tires have flat spots ground off of them and I am told that this makes it more likely for the brakes to continue to lock as it makes it more difficult for the tire to rotate when it hits that spot during braking.

My mechanick thinks that if we get the tires shaved that they might return to a "Rounder" shape.

Anyone know who shaves tires profesionally and if this will solve the problem?

The car has a nasty vibration in it now as it rolls over the flat spot.

Stan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-19-2006, 01:47 PM

I flat spotted my Pass. front going into a turn at ~65 at Gainesville raceway(no ABS on my car). I noticed that after that lap, that perticular tire would lock up briefly about 40% more than it used to. We noticed this while watching my autox vids. You'd see sparatic patches of smoke coming off of that tire every so often.

I just bought new tires, but yet I actually needed new ones. I'm not sure if shaving would fix them unless it's a very slight flat spot. Mine was deep and there was no way of saving the tire.

post #3 of 12 Old 01-19-2006, 02:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
If it is deep it may be hopeless, but it might not hurt to try. You can check with any tire shop that does truck tires, they usually have a tire trueing machine. I have a couple flat spotted V700's myself from the SVTOA event at GIR back in November. My alternator went out up there and caused my flat spotting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-19-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
My alternator went out up there and caused my flat spotting.

Okay, I once had an old Mercedes with an electric enrichment device on the carburator that went nuts when the rear door light switch failed.

But I have never, ever, seen an alternator even remotely connected to the tires. I suppose if you had one of those electric cars with brakes that generated electricity to recharge the batteries, well, maybe.

Just kidding Glenn, I am guessing the ABS failed.

More on point, shaving might work if you have enough tread left at the flat spot. On something like 710's, that seems unlikely.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #5 of 12 Old 01-19-2006, 06:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfloz
Okay, I once had an old Mercedes with an electric enrichment device on the carburator that went nuts when the rear door light switch failed.

But I have never, ever, seen an alternator even remotely connected to the tires. I suppose if you had one of those electric cars with brakes that generated electricity to recharge the batteries, well, maybe.

Just kidding Glenn, I am guessing the ABS failed.
Damn...I thought I had you hooked for a minute there Bob!

Yeah, my alternator failed and I didn't notice in time. Once the battery voltage dropped low enough, when the ABS tried to energize the dump solenoid it pulled the system voltage below the lower threshold for the ABS computer to operate, approximately 9 volts.

Funny thing was it did it immediately after I swapped out my front Hoosiers (after I corded one) for a pair of Victoracers and I thought it was a size mismatch at first. So, I took it out again being more careful with the brakes and it worked fine that next round.

Then the little woman took it out and the ABS went out again and nearly freaked her out. I finally realized the problem as I tried to start the car to load it onto the trailer.

I wonder if I can round them out again by doing a burnout?

Last edited by Glenn; 01-19-2006 at 06:08 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-19-2006, 09:13 PM

what's ABS?

hey, bring it up to dixie for an event in our gravel pit, and they'll be ground round (not to be confused with "ground round") in no time at all!

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-19-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
i say you try it out! take video and let us know how it works for ya

gumby
post #8 of 12 Old 01-20-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfhp
what's ABS?
I have ABS built into my right foot.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 Old 01-20-2006, 12:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
I saw that done by a Viper driver during the 2002 Open Track Challenge. The 1st gen Vipers didn't have ABS, and he flat spotted his fronts at one of the events. When we got to Las Vegas Motor Speedway he threw those wheels on the back and did some big burnouts in the big, open parking lot. He said it pretty much fixed them.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #10 of 12 Old 01-20-2006, 07:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
And I bet he had a blast fixing them.

post #11 of 12 Old 01-20-2006, 11:46 AM

Most shops that true tires will only shave new tires. The chance of a rock ruining the cutter blades is too great. From what I've been told the blades are frigg'n expensive.

Micha
Solo Director, Utah Region SCCA
87 LX coupe, C Prepared
Evolution Drivers School, Phase 1&2 and Challenge School I suck less now!
post #12 of 12 Old 01-20-2006, 12:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
You can also try rotating the wheel/tires 90-degrees off the brake rotor. Sometimes the brakes grab at a certain spot just a weee bit more than everywhere else (rotor warp, pad transfer...). Just an idea, while your looking anyways.

Sometimes, shaving just wont work, you just simply #$&%-up and have to get new tires ;(

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement