When is everyone's 1st event of the season? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
When is everyone's 1st event of the season?

Our pretty much set in stone, yet still unofficial first event will be March 6th at a local(to me)auto auction site. A new site for us that has potential to be our best lot yet!

Pretty pumped. I have yet to fix my pinion seal leak, and instal the swaybars, springs, and shock/struts I picked up but should have it all together and tested before the event.

The tough part is that my tow vehicle(97 2500 GMC truck)is needing some maintance. It's running fine, but I really don't what that thing to leave me stranded with my car on a trailer out in the middle of I don't know where. I think i'm actually doing more $$$$$ on maintanance on the truck than I did for my damn "RACE CAR"!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 02:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Not soon enough, our first autoX is scheduled for Mar 25. Im going though withdrawals.

1999 Cobra Coupe
'00 Mustang GT
#28 NASA AMERICAN IRON
www.drivenasacentral.com
post #3 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 03:01 PM

That would be "was", as in our first event was last Sunday.

SoCal's not all bad.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfloz

SoCal's not all bad.
I need an off-season to save up some money for the next season. Unfortunately, it is cold, dark, and wet during the off-season, so I don't get crap done.

Steve Rife
post #5 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfloz

SoCal's not all bad.
Damn.......but isn't there like a "TIME CHANGE" or something between here and Tennessee?

Just totalled up the bill on my tow pig truck.......441$. YIKES. O well.....hopefully it'll be reliable enough for another 100,000 miles.
post #6 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 03:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT
The tough part is that my tow vehicle...
Tow vehicle? What's that.

I just moved from HI, where I think they've already had the first event of the year. Here in the DC area the first event isn't until late March, although apparently the Philly Region is running a few events before then as a "winter series". I don't have any race rubber yet or a place to live, so it's probably better that I wait a couple months anyway.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #7 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 03:48 PM

My first event of the season will be a week from this Saturday, the 28th, down in Alabama. I won't have to drive my car though which is a good thing seeing as how the rear seal on the engine is leaking. I also think I have an exhaust leak because it's running rich as hell but throwing a code saying the right bank is running lean.
post #8 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsons
My first event of the season will be a week from this Saturday, the 28th, down in Alabama. I won't have to drive my car though which is a good thing seeing as how the rear seal on the engine is leaking. I also think I have an exhaust leak because it's running rich as hell but throwing a code saying the right bank is running lean.
You gonna attend a few E.Tenn events any this year?
post #9 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 04:23 PM

I hadn't planned on it. I open track mostly and right now I'm looking at Little Talladega this month. Then Summit Point, Road Atlanta and CMP in March, Roebling Road in April and then back to Little Talladega in May. That's as far as I've gotten in planning the season.
post #10 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Oh ok.......thats cool. Didn't know if you were more of an autox'r or what.....saw where you were passin' by.

Yea....I like the "tow vehicle" part. It's nice to drive something cofortable when those LOOONG away autox's arise. That and when drag racing.....I have been prone to having rear-end failures.

post #11 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 04:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Man, Here in MN we're waitng until May 6th!!!
post #12 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 04:44 PM

Ours actually started in January all ready, but my first event won't be until the first weekend in February. How long does everyone elses evnts go on for? In the Central Florida Rgion the points season ends in, I believe October, but we have non-points events till December.
post #13 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

I think our local stuff stops in late October, but a lil' further out region runs down into December I believe. ( www.trscca.com )
post #14 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 06:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
OOOOOOOh this is a sore spot with me. Lemme preach on it.

Nananananow our people are mealy mouthin round. They canceled our January event citing the site would probably need cleaning first but nobody I've talked to has gone up to check it. Besides this happens every year during cotton season it gets messed up and instead of just paying a contractor $600 to clean a site we get for FREE they rent a sweeper and get a bunch of volunteers to do a halfazz job.

Now rumor has it that we are hosting a 2 day SEDIV event at SGMP that will also count as our first regional event. GO FIGURE! There also seems to be a movement to quit using our free site and try to have all the events at SGMP. SGMP charges rent so we have to double our normal entry fee and try to get an extra 40 - 50 participants to make it happen. It is also a 2 hour drive for most of us instead of a 1 hour drive. Double distance and double entry fee is tuff on this ol dad that has to pay for double entries. (me & daughter)

After that I am told we don't have anything planned and our regular site hasn't been reserved. I also heard the regular site was under new management but nobody said what that meant. It would be easier to swallow if they told us we lost the old site but if they just haven't initiated contact to try to reserve it that sucks.

This kind of slacker attitude seems to be the norm in my region. I was on the BOD and their web guy for a while but I quit. Got sick and tired of begging for info and putting up with people that wouldn't reply to emails or communicate or use common sense.

Whew, I'm done, thanks for giving me a topic to vent on. LOL
Peace Out!

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver
http://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos
post #15 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

I think most regions feel your pain on "loss of location". We've lost 2 of our prime/frequent spots this year, and it's gonna be tough if we can't get back one our Baseball stadium lots to hold some events on. We have some others, but they are far from me, and the lot is postage stamp size in my opinion, which negates me driving/towing all the way up there just to ride around a course perfect made for a CRX.
post #16 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 08:03 PM

Yeah, out in Hawaii they've been forced to run at the tiny little road course basically ever since 9/11. The track is on property leased from the state, and the lease runs out in April, so there's been lots of scrambling and wondering what's going to happen. They used to run in the Aloha Stadium lot, which is also state-controlled, and apparently the state has no interest in letting that resume. Before 9/11 they ran on Ford Island (part of the Pearl Harbor Naval Station) - there's a big unused airfield there - but they haven't been allowed back on there since 9/11. There may be a LOT of racers (auto-x, drag racing, SCCA road racing) SOL come April if a new deal isn't created to keep the track open.

Anyway... definitely looking forward to the DC season to get started.

Pat
post #17 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 09:07 PM

I'll Jump in my first event here in So. California is with NASA (National Auto Sports Association) the first event is for no points at a track called Willow Springs Raceway in Lancaster, CA. Then in the second week of March is our season opener and first points event at California Speedway, Fontana, CA

I do opentrack racing with the So. Cal. NASA region. I will be running this year in February, March, April, May, June with PCA (Porsche Club Of America) San Diego Region (also own Porsche 944), July (NASA), September (Speed Ventures), November (NASA) and that ends the opentrack season for 2006.

With NASA and Speed Ventures I run my 2001 Modified Mustang GT

I, like you guys can't wait to get back on the road courses its so much fun and you get to meet a lot of great people guys and gals
post #18 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 09:43 PM

hey, sandy (a.k.a han solo) ... that divisional isn't the only game around.

there's a jan. 28 event in st. augustine (buccaneer)

a feb. 5 event in gainesville (i might go to that ... i've never raced there, though this event is in the parking lot and not on the track) (http://www.cfrsolo2.com/

and a feb. 12 event at wiregrass! (i'm out of town for that one)

we oughta go to at least one ... how about gainesville? anyone from the corral (like Glenn, who i'd love to meet) plan to be at that one?

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.

Last edited by markfhp; 01-21-2006 at 12:04 PM.
post #19 of 48 Old 01-17-2006, 10:02 PM

Feb 26th in Deland Florida for me.. If I can get the car running smoothly, just did some big motor upgrades, gotta get it tuned correctly.

Stan
post #20 of 48 Old 01-18-2006, 08:05 AM

I plan on running the solo trials at Gainseville March 4-5. Other than that it's a little too far from here in Daytona. The only events close by are at Deland which is still about a 30 minute drive from me. All the other events are at least an hour to two hours away. I wonder if anyone has tried to geta site at Daytona International Speedway before. That should be a good spot, infield or even in the parking lot. Our regions website said that the grip in the Gainseville parking lot should be better than it is on the track.

I don't know how valid that is because I've never been there, but oh well, it's still a place to race at.
post #21 of 48 Old 01-18-2006, 08:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Pat, where in the metro DC are you planning on settling?
post #22 of 48 Old 01-18-2006, 08:45 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Damned Internet...

Last edited by huesmann; 01-18-2006 at 08:47 AM.
post #23 of 48 Old 01-18-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Anybody planning to do any events at the Nashville SuperSpeedway with the www.av8ss.com people?

I don't think the track's schedule is complete or up to date, but they have posted an event to do the "Ro-val" with the racing under the lights.

I also think the Music City Mustang Club will be doing some low-key events at the Speedway as well. ( www.nashvillesuperspeedway.com ) This is a close event for me, 2hr drives.
post #24 of 48 Old 01-18-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
...which negates me driving/towing all the way up there just to ride around a course perfect made for a CRX.
I'm probably more concerned about what our courses will be like than ever. I think our traditional 30 second course with a couple of transitions and three or four 180's will be pretty crappy for a small, low horsepower car. Hard to maintain speed if you never build it up. I want FAST transitions and wide open sweepers.

TR courses would be PERFECT except that danged turnaround.

If you have a small, tight course, it seems that everyone feels like they are at a disadvantage. Power & grip cars don't have the room to use any of their power and the speed maintanence cars don't have any torque to accelerate out of tight turns. If you build a GOOD fast course, most everyone is happy. The speed maintanence guys get to do exactly that and the big cars get to use some HP.

Steve Rife

Last edited by sjrife1; 01-18-2006 at 09:52 AM.
post #25 of 48 Old 01-18-2006, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Yea, I like the trscca courses........except when they include that awful "Z" style finish. YIKES. "Holy stand on the brakes and hope for mild understeer, BATMAN!"

post #26 of 48 Old 01-18-2006, 11:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfhp
hey, sandy (a.k.a han solo) ... that divisional isn't the only game around.

there's a jan. 28 event in st. augustine (buccaneer)

a jan. 5 event in gainesville (i might go to that ... i've never raced there, though this event is in the parking lot and not on the track) (http://www.cfrsolo2.com/

and a jan. 12 event at wiregrass! (i'm out of town for that one)

we oughta go to at least one ... how about gainesville? anyone from the corral (like Glenn, who i'd love to meet) plan to be at that one?
I have been looking at and considering the jax schedule. They also have a GIR event listed that will probably run the track. I hope they are able to keep all the whitehouse events intact. I've heard the navy gave them very short notice on one cancelation last year like during the event kind of short.

That GIR surface is kinda slick and also tight with any cones on it. I won't ever try running those Goodyear GS-CS tires again.

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver
http://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos
post #27 of 48 Old 01-18-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann
Pat, where in the metro DC are you planning on settling?
Right now it's looking like probably the Crofton/Odenton, MD area. Still house hunting.

Pat
post #28 of 48 Old 01-19-2006, 03:45 PM

My first event this season will be at the NASA event on March 11 and 12 at California Speedway. I'll be running my BMW with the BMW CCA run group.

99 Cobra coupe, sold 5/20/06.

96 Cobra coupe, sold 1/1/05.

01 BMW 330ci. White. Runs in C Modified class (#85) in BMW CCA club races and NASA endurance races. Too many modifications to mention.

04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport, stock.

04 Cobra coupe. White/gray. K & N FIPK, JBA exhaust, and suspension and brake mods.
post #29 of 48 Old 01-20-2006, 10:41 AM

ghxjjjjj

Last edited by SLIDE IT; 01-20-2006 at 10:46 AM.
post #30 of 48 Old 01-20-2006, 10:42 AM

I am running a PCA DE @ VIR the first weekend in April. My car is usually the only Mustang at these PCA events.
post #31 of 48 Old 01-20-2006, 09:14 PM

Sandy,

Somehow this doesn't surprise me. After running at SGMP for Axis vs Allies, I had a feeling something like this would happen. The club has good people, but sometimes I wonder what goes through their heads when something like this happens. The only reason I can see them wanting to use SGMP is the surface (even if it is slick). Space isn't all that great, and it is far distance from Tallahassee. Bainbridge has more space and was easier to design courses on.

If Dixie does start holding events at SGMP, I am just going to find other venues to autocross.

Looks like there is an SCCA divisional scheduled in February:
http://www.sgmpracing.com/dragwayschedule.asp

José

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo
OOOOOOOh this is a sore spot with me. Lemme preach on it.

Nananananow our people are mealy mouthin round. They canceled our January event citing the site would probably need cleaning first but nobody I've talked to has gone up to check it. Besides this happens every year during cotton season it gets messed up and instead of just paying a contractor $600 to clean a site we get for FREE they rent a sweeper and get a bunch of volunteers to do a halfazz job.

Now rumor has it that we are hosting a 2 day SEDIV event at SGMP that will also count as our first regional event. GO FIGURE! There also seems to be a movement to quit using our free site and try to have all the events at SGMP. SGMP charges rent so we have to double our normal entry fee and try to get an extra 40 - 50 participants to make it happen. It is also a 2 hour drive for most of us instead of a 1 hour drive. Double distance and double entry fee is tuff on this ol dad that has to pay for double entries. (me & daughter)

After that I am told we don't have anything planned and our regular site hasn't been reserved. I also heard the regular site was under new management but nobody said what that meant. It would be easier to swallow if they told us we lost the old site but if they just haven't initiated contact to try to reserve it that sucks.

This kind of slacker attitude seems to be the norm in my region. I was on the BOD and their web guy for a while but I quit. Got sick and tired of begging for info and putting up with people that wouldn't reply to emails or communicate or use common sense.

Whew, I'm done, thanks for giving me a topic to vent on. LOL
Peace Out!

2012 Race Red GT
1998 Black GT (Open Track car) - TF 44cc Heads/Aviator SB, HP cams, BBK shorties, Delta Force tuning, MM Panhard LCA FCA Full subs CC plates coilovers, Koni Yellows, drop spindles, Brembo/Cobra brakes, 3.73 gears, truetrac diff
Track Videos - http://www.youtube.com/cxavier68
post #32 of 48 Old 01-20-2006, 10:44 PM

hoping not to hijack this thread with dixie region concerns, but ...

i really don't mind going to SGMP if it means a better surface and, maybe, better competition if we draw from georgia and maybe jacksonville.

i figure at the rate our gravel pit eats tires, i'm spending at least $100 per event, so racing on a smooth surface is actually cheaper for me!

of course, i liked it best when we raced in tallahassee and i could drive there on my race tires, but i guess those days are gone forever.

so ... feb. 5 in gainesville anyone???
(i had a typo when i said jan. 5)

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #33 of 48 Old 01-20-2006, 11:26 PM

If I only spent $100 dollars per event, I would be grateful....
I begin test and tune in February, and about monthly events and racing starting in March to about November.....

andy

#99 NASA AI West
1999 Mustang Cobra, Black Coupe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 48 Old 01-21-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfhp

so ... feb. 5 in gainesville anyone???
(i had a typo when i said jan. 5)
Mark,

I can't make any promises, but I will try to make that event. I have been meaning to go Gainesville in 2 years, but something always comes up. Maybe we can drive there together.
post #35 of 48 Old 01-22-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I think most regions feel your pain on "loss of location".
Ditto, here in Alabama region SCCA. I understand that we are currently in negotiations on a couple of good sites, but it looks like our long-time, gigantic, cheap-as-dirt Autocross site at the Birmingham Race Course is no more.
And by the way, 2K2GT, check ALSCCA.org for the 2006 Solo2 schedule (not out yet) and try to make it to our Solo2 @ Talladega Grand Prix Track. We usually have 2 events there per season and they are always super fast and the surface is very grippy.

Racing is Life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. -Steve McQueen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement