Anyone roadracing a 351W or stroked 351W - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-14-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (24)
Anyone roadracing a 351W or stroked 351W

Want to know if any of you guys do any serious roadracing with a 351W or 351W stroker. I am about to install my 383W stroker and plan on doing a lot of RR with it. However, I have been comming across a lot of things basically saying these motors are not very cut out for this type of duty. My set up is in sig. Just tell me how yours ( or anyone else you know) is holding up. What do you shift at? Whats your setup?

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-14-2006, 08:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Sure, you just have more torque, so run taller gears, and keep the revs down.
A few of the West Coast AIX cars have had Windsor strokers, and have run with good results.

Cream may rise to the top, but sometimes sh&t floats too.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-14-2006, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

When you say keep the revs down, do you mean under 6000, 6500...?

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-14-2006, 11:04 PM

Yeah, Paul used to shift his 408 at 5,500 to 6,000.

Cream may rise to the top, but sometimes sh&t floats too.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-15-2006, 01:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I've open tracked mine just a couple times so far, and only on the tiny (0.8mi) road course out in Hawaii. In the spring time I should get mine to a real track event and I'm curious to see how it does.

The main issue that people seem to have is that the big 351 mains generate a LOT of heat, so you really need to have a stout cooling system (both coolant and oil). I found that on the little road course (without much high speed straightaway time to cool off) I had to run my electric fan to keep oil temps from going >250. That's with a 16-row Mocal cooler. I may end up going to a 25-row cooler, we'll see.

Oh, and my setup is designed to run to 6500rpm, but at the couple events the car's been to it didn't see RPMs that high just because I wasn't too sure how well tuned it was and didn't want to scatter the motor all over the track. Max RPMs were in the 5500-6000 range.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #6 of 15 Old 01-15-2006, 08:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I only have 2 track days on my 408 but it seamed to work good. Big rads, oil coolers ect are standard issue. I run at Watkins Glen and with the 302/t5 combo, had thought that my 3.73 gears were holding me back (too many rpm's). With the 408 I am running a TKO 600 with the RR 5th (.83) and it allows me to run on the backstretch at about 5300 rpm in 5th. I might not have to install the 3.27's I have sitting on the shelf. Front end weight is always an issue. Drop weight where ever you can because of the extra motor weight.

82' GT. Ocassional street, open track/solo II. Carbed 408, AFR 205's, Ed Curtis custom cam, Mac 1 3/4" LT, MSD stuff. Bassani X, TKO-600 to 8.8 ,3.73, alum. driveshaft. KB k-member. Steeda 5 link. My Corral gallery =
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-15-2006, 12:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I've been running a 408W for about 3 years now with my fair share of issues. Short story is low oil pressure due to the cooler, plumbing, etc., for the long story search on Corner-Carvers.com by my screen name TOYS. The other issue -- I destroyed 2 cams trying to drive the high volume pump. Wipes out the dist drive gear, and yes its set up perfectly. I'm now running a CompCams composite dist gear. Looks like I'll have to replace it once a year but at least the cam lives and I don't destroy bearing with the debris.

Would I do it again....absolutely! This thing is a blast and very simple. Basic forged internals, Vic Jr heads, Vic Jr intake, 10.7:1, hyd roller, and its carbureted on pump gas. 438 rwhp / 450 rwtq Shift light is set for 6k, I probably get it shifted around 6200 but not afraid to let it run up to 6500. Gearing is a 4:10 rear and a T5 with a .80 5th. I really need to re-gear the car for the bigger tracks, but its fun out of a corner!

I'd be interested in hearing your solid roller cam specs if you care to share.

Toys - gota have'm.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Schneider

1982 Mustang GT - 408w and other super zoomy stuff...
Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-15-2006, 12:59 PM

Of course, you could ditch the block and crank, get a dart block and crank to match, and forget about it.

Aluminum 429W powered '01 GT
Full MM suspension
post #9 of 15 Old 01-15-2006, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

I have been working with Jay Allen on my engine combo and will be changing a few things. I don't have the cam yet as we are waiting to grind it untill I get my whole combo together. So, no cam specs as of yet.
Toys, I have seen your posts on CC and followed it in detail. Moroso makes a spring for the oil pumps that maintains better pressure at sustained high RPM's. It says its for a 351C but it will fit a 351W pump also. I think I will be running this also. Here's the link:
http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/2804...ief-Spring.htm

I am running a FRPP aluminium rad carried over from my previous combo. When you guys are saying your running BIG rads, is this the sort of thing you are speaking of? The oil cooler will be one from the NASCAR ( AN-12 lines)teams that I see on E-Bay every now and then. I will be running a 3.55 gear and the regular Tremec 3550 (.68 5th gear).
I am really glad to hear that you guys are having good luck with your stroker combos under heavy use. The Dart block combo is out of the question. I have already sunk to many of these $$$$ into this damn car, with many more of these $$$$ still to spend.

486rwhp/ 430rwtq

Last edited by LT1HAHA; 01-15-2006 at 01:39 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-15-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1HAHA
Toys, I have seen your posts on CC and followed it in detail.
Glad someone is benefiting from my woes.....

I really need to update that thread. My last attempt at a traditional oiling system, and what is currently in the car is a Precision Pumps blueprinted Melling HV with adjustable pressure. It has a hex plug holding in the spring that can be turned in or out to adjust the tension on the spring. I put an access hole in the side of my pan so I could adjust it on the fly. Right from the start I ended up with it completely turned in for max pressure.

From memory: ???
cold @ idle 62psi
hot @ 3k+ RPM 42-45 psi

Don't let this scare....I think the severity of my problems are rather unique. Just use a good pump, but keep in mind that to much pump pressure and resistance in the plumbing will put a strain on the cam/dist drive.

Next time the motor comes out it's getting an external wet sump set up. Pump is already purchased.....

Toys - gota have'm.....

Mike Schneider

Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.

Last edited by Toys; 01-15-2006 at 05:21 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-15-2006, 07:07 PM

I've got a Melling HV pump in mine, and the oil cooler is plumbed with -10AN lines (I'm pretty sure - it may by -12AN, but I'm almost positive it's 10). All these comments about problems with the cam gears and stuff has me worried that I've got a timebomb on my hands, but we'll see....

Pat
post #12 of 15 Old 01-15-2006, 07:09 PM

Double post - damn slow dialup!

Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 01-15-2006 at 07:11 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-15-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Toys, that sounds like a very good pump. Is this where you got it? http://www.precisionoilpumps.com/ If so, their site has very little information. What was the cost? They have two pumps for 351W one is labled race and one just a 351W. However, I don't see any of them labled as having adjustable pressure. I would really like to get one of these. Let me know.

486rwhp/ 430rwtq
post #14 of 15 Old 01-15-2006, 10:19 PM

Yes, that is the place. I just called him directly, and don't recall exactly how much. I want to say at least $100. His race pump with adjustable pressure starts out as a Melling 10833. The 10833 comes from Melling with the adjustable feature and Jegs sells them for about $47. The common Melling HV is a M83HV which isn't adjustable.

Pat, I pull my dist after each race weekend for inspection.

Toys - gota have'm.....

Mike Schneider

post #15 of 15 Old 01-26-2006, 01:31 PM
kpl

a friend of mine OTs a '95R, nothing really special about the motor except Al heads, and doesn't have any cooling issues with the stock setup. Is the radiator in these all that special? I've noticed the Bondurant school cars use that same radiator. I can't imagine it can be all that different than a Fluidyne, unless something is drastically different internally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement