cobra irs swap - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-13-2006, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
cobra irs swap

I have an 86 lx coupe. I've never done it, but I'd like to get into doing some auto-x with the car this year. My question is what should I do suspension wise with the car. The suspension is pretty much stock right now, all I have done is lowering springs, offset rack bushings, boxed stock rear control arms with new bushings, and a turbocoupe rear disc brake setup. I would like to upgrade to the 03 cobra brakes and wheels. I've also looked at a couple of 03 cobras and the rear irs looks like it would bolt up. I did a search but didnt come up with much on it. Do you guys think this swap would make it handle better or should I just try to upgrade the solid axle. Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-13-2006, 10:29 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
There's a 4-character minimum on searches. Get around it by searching on IRS* There are at least 2 threads here from not long ago dealing with the swap into a fox-body and if I recall correctly one of them was a 4-eye like an 84 or 86 or something.

Opinions are mixed. I happen to believe you would be better off working with the solid axle unless you were dying to be different. You have 3 solid commercially-available options for the stick axle, Griggs or Maximum Motorsports Torque Arm & Panhard, Evolution Motorsports tri-link, and the Steeda 5-link. All of them are tried & true in fox bodies to varying degrees, the least proven being the EM tri-link. But read up on the IRS swap, the things you have to do to the factory IRS to make it worthwhile, and the resulting weight and performance limitations. I'm not bagging on the IRS, it's arguably better than the stock 4-link, but may not represent an effective upgrade for your car given what else is available.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-13-2006, 11:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
had this bookmarked http://www.angelfire.com/bug/irs0/index.html

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-13-2006, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info for the search, I wasnt aware of the 4 character thing. also thanks for the link. I'm going to do a little more reading up on this before I do it, just weighing my options.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-14-2006, 08:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
post #6 of 7 Old 01-14-2006, 10:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (33)
I have an 03 IRS swapped into my 97 Cobra. I have totally redone it with 4.30 gears, bushings, rear brace, coil overes etc. It would certainly been cheaper to build up the stick rear with one of the options given above but I am pleased with the performance and there is no comparing the two for street ride. If money isn't an issue and you want to be different go for the IRS, otherwise do your stick rear and put the money you save elsewhere.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-14-2006, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

great link, thanks alot man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement