Question about Summit Point - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-09-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question about Summit Point

n00b here with some questions about Summit Point. What are some speeds on the front straight that can be expected in a 4.6 mustang (no power adder)? A buddy of mine who used to do the FATT events in an '01 Camaro seems to recall hitting about 125 or so.

I'm about to put gears in my '06--mainly for fun around town, but Summit Point is only about 40 minutes away and I plan on attending events there once I figure out what instructor/school to enroll in. I'm trying to decide between 4.10's and 4.30's. With 4.10's, I'll top out at about 125 in 4th, and with 4.30's I'll top out at about 120 in 4th.

P.S. Anyone recommend a good instructor for rear wheel drive/live axle? I'm coming from a Subaru WRX and the change in handling is fairly dramatic (surprisingly, the '06 handles better than my Subie did, but also handles very different).

2006 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-09-2006, 08:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Most cars range from 105-150mph down the front straight. A typical Mustang will hit about 125.
If it is your first time on track I wouldn't recomend FATT. If you're interested in a lot more track time, better instruction and a safer enviorment you're welcome to come to an http://www.carguys.com event (there is one in early March). I instruct for both groups, so I'm not biased. If you let me know in advance I can get you a disscount.

Tom

post #3 of 14 Old 01-10-2006, 09:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Doesn't Car Guys do 2-day events at Summit anymore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-10-2006, 09:47 AM

Yes you can run two days if you want to (many people only run Sat/Sun). You aren't required to sign up and run all three days. Just let them know when you're signing up and they will give you the two day price.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-10-2006, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Funny, I've heard the same comments about FATT from others... I think a 2-day event will fit my schedule better, so that is good to know.

2006 Mustang GT
post #6 of 14 Old 01-12-2006, 11:46 AM

92 Coupe,

For a first-timer...1.) will one day be an adequate start (cost is a big factor for me) and 2.) I just recently put a baer claw track kit on my car...what kind of brake wear can I expect (just your best guess)

1990 LX Notch
1993 LX - SOLD
1991 LX - SOLD
1990 GT - SOLD
post #7 of 14 Old 01-12-2006, 01:17 PM

1) One day will get you started (and more then likely hooked). For your first event I wouldn't recomend a three day school. You will be worn out by the end of the weekend (two days).
It also depends on the track, if you're running the original track at Summit it is easier to learn and drive then the SC.

2) Brake wear directly depends on how hard you are on the brakes. Typically the 13" Cobra stuff is fine and shouldn't be an issue if you run fresh brake fluid. Most novice drivers tend to over use the brakes (slowing down to much for the turns), so they tend to boil fluid and go through pads a little faster.
In a fox with 13" brakes you really shouldn't have any issues.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-12-2006, 02:01 PM

Great. Thanks.

1990 LX Notch
1993 LX - SOLD
1991 LX - SOLD
1990 GT - SOLD
post #9 of 14 Old 01-12-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92coupe
If you're interested in a lot more track time, better instruction and a safer enviorment you're welcome to come to an http://www.carguys.com event (there is one in early March). I instruct for both groups, so I'm not biased. If you let me know in advance I can get you a disscount.

Tom
Are you gonna be instructing there on March 3 for carguys? If so, I'd appreciate it if you'd instruct me.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-12-2006, 09:48 PM

I should be there, or at least I'm planning to be there. We can arrange the instructor stuff when it gets closer if you would like, or when you fax in your forms, just request Tom Beverly for an instructor.

Tom

post #11 of 14 Old 01-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Founder corral.net

I may see about instructing there as well. So you will have a pleathora of instructors to choose from. But I have to make sure I can get off work. I'll be putting in for my days off in the next few days.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-14-2006, 10:42 PM

Great!!! I'll be sure and request T. Beverly or C. Ihara as instructors on my entry form.

I'll probably only be there for Friday. I've got two other events lined up for the following two weekends so I'll have to minimize the damage to my tires!!!
post #13 of 14 Old 01-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Founder corral.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsons
Great!!! I'll be sure and request T. Beverly or C. Ihara as instructors on my entry form.

I'll probably only be there for Friday. I've got two other events lined up for the following two weekends so I'll have to minimize the damage to my tires!!!
I don't know if I can be there for all 3 days but I'll try.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-18-2006, 07:48 AM

Chris/Tom,

What about 1 day? Any special pricing?

I might be able to do Friday. March 5th is my anniversary and i don't want this to be the last one

Hector

Hector
2000 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement