Mustang GT vs WRX (AutoX) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-06-2006, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Mustang GT vs WRX (AutoX)

I know I'm comparing a rally car to a muscle car here, but these two are similarly priced and I plan on doing AutoX with whatever I get. Which of these in their current generation perform better in autocross stock for stock? What about with mods?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-06-2006, 10:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I think the WRX will get the nod at the AutoX. I can get around them on lengthy tracks. They were working me at the Streets of Willow last month. But on the big track, I had no problem getting around them.

Don't forget....different drivers in those WRX's and I don't know their mods.

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #3 of 21 Old 01-07-2006, 12:12 AM

Ive owned both....

The WRX transmission SUCKS. You cannot get the damn things into first unless you are basically stopped. So on a tight auto-x course its a major pain. The low end grunt of the GT also is great on tight course and the WRX (stock) needs a ton of RPMs to get boost up. If you get caught in second with low RPM you are sunk.

I love both cars...the WRX was great here in Oregon, AWD traction cant be beat. But I like the Stang better all-around. Just a more fun car.

Mods - way spendy on WRX but very effective. 2.0 WRX motors can churn out about 300 HP and still be very reliable. Mustang parts are much more affordable. Check out Maximum Motorsports web site, then think about doing comparable mods to a WRX. Would break most budgets.

Mark - 1992 Coupe MM Cone Harvester
"Sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware" - Thanks, Neil
Google - "Mecha" read "Plan De Aztlan" - Prepare for blood to boil

Last edited by Apexer; 01-07-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-07-2006, 12:29 PM

you talking about the WRX STi?

it's in A stock; mustangs are in F stock ... that's about all you need to know there.

as for mods? check out the ESP results from nationals (and yeah, i know it rained, but i think the winner was running street tires in the rain, wasn't he?):

1 Andrew Lieber 2005 Mitsubishi EVO
2 John Tak 2005 Mitsubishi Evo
3 Navid Kahangi 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution RS
4 Mark Jorgensen 1998 Ford Mustang Cobra
5 James Elterman 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
6 Charles Moss 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
7 Tommy Pulliam 2005 Subaru WRX Sti
8 Joel Adam Fehrman 2005 Subaru WRX
9 Marcus E Merideth 1996 Ford Mustang
10 Jeff Templeton 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
11 Brian N Burdette 1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
12 Henry Botkin 2002 Chevrolet Z28
13 Mark Andy 2001 Chevy Camaro
14 Paul Leonard 2001 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra
15 David Feighner 1995 Ford Mustang

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-07-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfhp

it's in A stock; mustangs are in F stock ... that's about all you need to know there.

as for mods? check out the ESP results from nationals (and yeah, i know it rained, but i think the winner was running street tires in the rain, wasn't he?):

MarkFHP-

Don't forget Evos and STIs are now in BSP (though "regular" WRXs stay in ESP).

741-

Any stock Mustang will understeer like a pig. Some folks can drive around this (I know I can't).

Do you just want to have fun? Or trophy locally? Or planning on a National Championship jacket?

If the nfirst, either will be fine. If the latter, there is a lot of planning, research, guessing and preparation to be done. Classes re-align and new cars come out. A 2005/6 Mustang should do fine locally in F Stock, very unclear if it will be competitive nationally.

Are you used to RWD? If so, a Mustang will probably feel nore natural to you. Are you used to FWD? Then a Suburu might seem normal. Then again, A Stock is a tough class, or was at least last year.

There, that was easy, wasn't it?

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #6 of 21 Old 01-07-2006, 12:55 PM

i didn 't know that BSP thing was official ... thank GOD they're moving!

i should add that, though i think the subys are faster, i wouldn't race one if you gave it to me.
the mustang is just so much fun ... there oughta be a law that it's illegal to drive any car that won't spin in a circle when you stomp on the gas!
post #7 of 21 Old 01-07-2006, 02:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
my good friend has a wrx STI. that thing is sweet. it does seem to handle quite a bit better than my GT and the all wheel drive is really nice to have too. it does have quite a bit of turbo lag stock tho. i havent actually had my stang or the sti around a track but i have had plenty of seat time in both and railing on em and i think stock for stock the STI has the mustang beat. just wait till i get my MM road and track package tho...heh heh
post #8 of 21 Old 01-07-2006, 03:03 PM

I assumed he meant WRX since he didnt say STi. Wayyy different animals. I agree about the Sti beating GT in any respect. Sti has a very good trans too, 6 speed. The WRX trans from what I understand is very old tech - hasnt been updated forever.

"Sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware" - Thanks, Neil
post #9 of 21 Old 01-07-2006, 03:04 PM

I assumed he meant WRX since he didnt say STi. Wayyy different animals. I agree about the Sti beating GT in any respect. Sti has a very good trans too, 6 speed. The WRX trans from what I understand is very old tech - hasnt been updated forever.

Also - If you havent found this web site, its a good resource for Subaru related stuff much like Corral - only the people werent nearly as helpful/friendly IMHO. www.NASIOC.com

Last edited by Apexer; 01-07-2006 at 03:11 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-07-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfhp

Didnt Mark Jorgensen borrow a rally Car for ESP since it rained ?

You really cant go wrong if you get a 2005 WRX and run it in STX.
For ESP a 2006 Mustang GT might be faster than a 2006 WRX if you tossed enough money at it.
There is only so much tire you can put on a WRX.

Last edited by Pach95GT; 01-07-2006 at 09:16 PM.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-08-2006, 12:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
See my reply to your question on nasioc.com.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #12 of 21 Old 01-08-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 741
I know I'm comparing a rally car to a muscle car here, but these two are similarly priced and I plan on doing AutoX with whatever I get. Which of these in their current generation perform better in autocross stock for stock? What about with mods?
Stock for stock is apples and oranges. The WRX is a DS car and the Mustang GT is FS. The highest finishing WRX at the Nationals was 28th in DS. The only S197 Mustang entered in FS was listed as DNS.

FS has a couple of new players this year being the Audi S4 and 03-04 Cobras. I don't think the S197 Mustang will stand toe to toe with either.

In the Suby corner the WRX has already proven not to be a competitive DS car nationally. Even the STI got spanked in AS at nationals.

I don't think the WRX or S197 Mustang will be top dawg in ESP or SM on the modded side either.

If you limited yourself to one or the other then get the one you feel is the most fun to drive and HAVE FUN!

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver
http://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos
post #13 of 21 Old 01-09-2006, 12:39 PM

FWIW, We had one WRX in our region, I beat him in my GT.

2000 GT Current Auto-X mule/Daily Driver

Quote: "5.0Torx"

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

Pick 2...
post #14 of 21 Old 01-09-2006, 01:00 PM

Which would you rather own? Both cars will be plenty fun and both cars will do fine in whatever class you chose if driven well.

I'm assuming that our poster has local/justwannahavefun goals, as nationally competitive folks typically don't ask these sort of questions.

Steve Rife
post #15 of 21 Old 01-09-2006, 01:08 PM

Our SVTOA autox events are very loosely classed, and there have been many WRX's that have run with us. My answer to the question revolves around course design. We have had EVO's and WRX's take FTD occasionally, but the mustangs tend to rule at Fort Devens MA... It's a very long course (about 2 mi), and pretty good for the higher HP cars.

Troy Velazquez - Director
SVTOA Boston/New England Chapter
post #16 of 21 Old 01-17-2006, 02:51 AM

I've never driven a new Mustang, but I compete in SCCA AL region (Alabama) Solo 2, Street Modified class with an '89 Mustang LX and I was up against some STi's this past season. My Mustang has some MM stuff and a whopping 214 RWHP and it was a tough 2005 season. I was able to clinch the Regional championship, but that was due in part to co-driving my closest competitors STi for the last 3 events due to mechanical issues with my Mustang (and beating him 2 out of those 3 ). From that experience in his STi I realized that:

1) My car is absolutely obsolete on anything but a Regional level in any class but C Prepared.

2) WRX STi are friggin' weapons and extremely quick cars. They have this thing called traction that I had heared about, but never experienced before. The forward grip was amazing and despite a bit of understeer which might require a little flick or coaxing at turn in on some low-speed features, compared to a Fox chassis these cars can read your mind and actually do what you ask them to do.

On faster more open events, I was able to beat the STi pretty easily before my Mustang broke, but all around I'd choose the WRX.

Just my opinion,
Good luck whatever you decide.
SM #6
L. Cain

Racing is Life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. -Steve McQueen
post #17 of 21 Old 01-20-2006, 12:44 AM

If you wanna have fun, the stang will be cheaper on the budget if anything breaks--though both are reliable cars (then again, anything SVT-badged will be much more fun to drive IMO).

Quote:
The WRX transmission SUCKS. You cannot get the damn things into first unless you are basically stopped.
Also, I can vouch for that too. STis maybe better with the 6spd.

'95GT: XB[email protected] B50-CP & Eagle forged-331ci, AFR 185s, custom cam, ported RPM2, new fuel, exhaust, MM stuff.
'02 WRX SOLD
'08 Nissan Titan Pro-4X..... '04 SVTF SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'05 BLM Mustang , #645765, 16 Hands, 1 HP
post #18 of 21 Old 01-20-2006, 09:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
As cw50 just said - I agree. I have both a '05 WRX (not the STI) and a '92 with a S-Trimed 347. The WRX is a great overall car but without mods, the boost and low end grunt is an issue. There are times when there's no chance in hell I'd consider pulling out into moving traffic in the WRX (especially if the A/C is on). Once you hit about 20 mph the turbo is kicking in and it has decent pick-up. However, in the Mustang, I'd pull out, stop, grab lunch, and be on my way before traffic ran me over.

I have yet to play with the WRX due to the higher prices you'll spend for the amount of fun factor in return. I pretty much have the mid level MM suspension on the Mustang w/ poly bushings throughout, no TA or front K-member, and you can flog the piss out of it in a corner and it's controllable. The WRX has an odd feeling in a corner with the AWD and I don't feel as confident with pushing it in the corner. I'm sure with suspension mods that could change - but pricey. In the snow or rain though, the WRX is one of the best cars I've been in.

If you can afford the STI that would probably be the best of both worlds. It has a lot of good equipment as standard equip and the AWD grip can't be beat. I still like the Mustang for ease of maintenance, cheaper parts, and great bang for the buck. (....Not that a forged 347 with a S-trim is cheap... ).

1992 GT, 347, Ported World Product Sr. heads, Holley intake, custom cam, Vortech SQ V2 S-Trim, PMS/Uego, G-Force T-5, Brembo, Baer, H&R, Koni's, MM.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-22-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcsolo2
1) My car is absolutely obsolete on anything but a Regional level in any class but C Prepared.
Yea, you might as well go on back to C prepared. With my new rear coilovers/ adjustable sway bar and 315 rubber up front, I may finally have enough car to make up for the substantial difference in driver ability. And since they're moving to the Met, I may come back out, since I won't have to deal with those rally style jumps out at BRC.

Aluminum 429W powered '01 GT
Full MM suspension
post #20 of 21 Old 01-22-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu68stang
Yea, you might as well go on back to C prepared. With my new rear coilovers/ adjustable sway bar and 315 rubber up front, I may finally have enough car to make up for the substantial difference in driver ability. And since they're moving to the Met, I may come back out, since I won't have to deal with those rally style jumps out at BRC.
DOH!
How are ya man?
Just FYI everybody, I've seen this guy's Mustang carry the front tires out of a slalom! It is a BEAST!!
I look forward to seeing you this season. My disclaimer: I will still be running 245's all the way around, but they will probably be harder compound (planning on doing some Track Days and can't afford to rip through a fresh set of Victo's after 5 events like I did last season).
What kind of tire do you guys suggest? I apologize for changing subject of the thread.
P.S.: FYI. My car's never been in C Prepared. I was ESP until I put on the MM lower control arms after the Tigpree event and realized I should go to SM for the spherical bearings.

Racing is Life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. -Steve McQueen
post #21 of 21 Old 01-23-2006, 07:44 AM

Surprisingly I've had better success with V710's than Victo's, both grip and longevity. I've got a brand new set of Hoosier R3S05 for this season. They're supposed to last longer than previous versions and they have more rounded shoulders. David was getting one weekend out of his S04's, but he has 2 weekends and counting on the S05's.

Sadly, the days of the wheel stands are over. Revised shocks and spring rates have corrected the problem. The car is very neutral now, and easier to drive.

Aluminum 429W powered '01 GT
Full MM suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement