need help deciding on rear suspension package. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-01-2006, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (1)
need help deciding on rear suspension package.

let me start by telling what my 86 is used for. its a once a week at most good weather driver. no daily duty worries with this car. i dont mind harsh bump compliance as long as the car handles well. and i understand this wont happen until i swap the front end as well. im finally converting the suspension from drag to handling. straight line is old to me. with the extra overtime i suffered through this month im going to surprise my baby with a new rear suspension.

heres what i am ordering this week. maximum motorsports MMRL CA-1 lower control arms.

question 1. should i opt for the adjustable lca's? will the extra fine tuning in ride height make a noticable difference on the street?

im also ordering (finally) MMPBA panhard bar. if i have to chop my pipes so be it. i have to have this piece of suspension. ive been wanting it ever since i bought the car (2.5 years ago). i hate the jiggly nature of my car. i never know what its doing back there. i'll fishtail into a turn and not know where the hell i am until the rear catches and settles.

now for the Q's. springs. seeing as how these will most likely be the last rear suspension (save the torque arm) pieces i buy for this car i have no problem spending the money on them. are the H&R springs worth the money? are there any other i should be considering for the money? i dont care how the car looks(lowering-wise). i just want it to handle well.

once the spring question is settled, how should i choose my shocks? bilstein, kyb, or koni? and even then which line of shocks should i choose from that manufacturer? admittedly, i havent done my research on shocks or springs so i come to you. they all seem to be in the same price range line for line. im favoring bilstein but i would like advice so that i can get my springs and shocks matched.

also, any extra advice that i havent asked for would be greatly appreciated.

in case youre wondering im running cobra uppers. maybe 500 miles on them with axle end stock bushings installed at the same time.

thanks. im looking to get theses parts in by the end of january. taking a vacation to visit a buddy in monterrey and install all these parts when i get back. any advice is welcome. thanks.

86 gt many mods
07 R1 a few mods
02 Z71 tahoe no mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-01-2006, 10:31 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Bear in mind that when you graduate for a torque arm, you'll need far stiffer rear springs than what you buy for a 4-link, so the rears won't be the last ones you buy for now. And IMHO they're less critical than shocks as long as you get the rate close.

As for the adjustable LCA's, I've never "sprung" for them but they probably are handy for ride-height tuning (easier and better than trimming the springs), and if you ever get involved in corner-weighting, that's where they'll shine.

As for shocks, IMHO the Koni is on the harsh side, but adjustable. Probably better suited once you go torque arm. Bilstein will tend to be mellower but no less capable, but not adjustable, which isn't that big a deal if you follow the correct advice about pairing them with the right spring rate for the application. The only KYB's I'll let near my car anymore are the adjustable AGX and frankly, they'd have to be sharply discounted or free because I don't trust KYB to begin with.

post #3 of 8 Old 01-01-2006, 10:48 AM

I run Koni double adjustables front/rear on my daily driver. I also have Eibach race springs and spherical bearing CC plates. Even at full soft all around, the ride is still rather harsh. I attribute a lot of the harshness to the stiff compression damping of the Koni's. Now I also am a regular autocrosser so I appreciate the adjustable damping to tune my car, but if I wasn't I would have Bilsteins on my car.

John Flesher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-02-2006, 07:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Take a look at Evolution Motorsports Tri-link and Watts link package

http://www.evolutionmsport.com/evmCa...=index&cPath=1

I'ts about the same money, maybe less.

Eliminates the bind.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-02-2006, 10:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
If your already dropping cash for everything, mise well just save or drop a little more and order up the torque arm and the springs. No reason to pay $250 again for another set of springs later.

2014 Camaro 1LE
2001 Cobra White SOLD
1989 Mustang GT "F0xR0d" SOLD
12.49 @ 116.8 mph (BFG KDW Street tire)
post #6 of 8 Old 01-03-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

thanks for the advice. you all make good points about the TA. since im going to be welding the panhard bar in, i might as well do both at the same time. how much welding is involved to install the TA? ive already got MM full length subs installed. is it just those four plates on the subs?

sounds like koni's would be ideal for my application(non-daily driver).

if i go TA then i'll probably get tight and just get the regular MM LCA's. but i do have a question concerning bushing choice. if i have a TA and panhard bar would it be best to get the LCA's with spherical bearing at one end or both?

also, thanks for the evolution link. their stuff is pretty wild and i like it but im stuck on MM's great quality. everything i have ever gotten from them has been a breeze to install and alot of fun to thrash.

86 gt many mods
07 R1 a few mods
02 Z71 tahoe no mods
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2006, 07:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
For the TA, the only welding is the tabs that mount the front crossbar to your subframe connectors.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2006, 01:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I believe the only MM arms with spherical bearings at both ends are the road race ones. They don't have spring perches or swaybar mounts so you'd also need to buy coilovers and an MM rear swaybar.

'00 Atlantic Blue GT - '03 Cobra swap, TKO600, full MM suspension
'01 Corvette - D1 blown stroker
'85 Mustang GT - bone stock except exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement