what front bumper? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-27-2005, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
what front bumper?

my car is going through major changes this winter as I want to make it a good open track car that can be daily driven.

what front bumper helps the most on the track (or the german highways without speedlimits)?

I had the cobra bumper with fix attached splitter... but the car was a pain to daily drive because it was so low.
then I had a 03 cobra bumper but I just didn't like how it looked on my car.... now I have no bumper at all...

what do you guys recommend?

2003 Mustang GT - Coyote swapped, 6-Speed, IRS, gutted interior with rollcage, KW V3, Wedsports and lots more
2017 Mustang GT - 2018 Intake Manifold, JLT, Schropp Tune, Schropp Catback, KW V3, Movit Brakes, Barracuda Wheels and a big wing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-27-2005, 07:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
My vote would be 2000 Cobra R for aero

This will be a little low though, so you may want to go with a stock 03 GT or Mach One.

Chris

1997 Cobra
1991 Mazda Miata (my gas saver!)
post #3 of 10 Old 12-27-2005, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking about getting the 2000 cobra r but with removable splitter... it's just the price that hurts me a bit...

2003 Mustang GT - Coyote swapped, 6-Speed, IRS, gutted interior with rollcage, KW V3, Wedsports and lots more
2017 Mustang GT - 2018 Intake Manifold, JLT, Schropp Tune, Schropp Catback, KW V3, Movit Brakes, Barracuda Wheels and a big wing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-27-2005, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

other idea would be the Roush Stage 3 bumper... opinions to this one?

post #5 of 10 Old 12-27-2005, 03:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Just like a proper splitter you need to have a underbelly pan at least to the front crossmember to not allow high pressure pockets which create lift. I was also look into either venting your hood or cowl induction to remove air trapped in your engine compartment. Racecar Engineering magazine a few months ago showed data on proper air splitters. Most people only have a spoiler with no underpan or a very small amount of pan. Where ever the under pan ends turbulence will start and if its before the radiator a air turbulence pocket will build eventually creating a lift area. I would find books or internet searches on front aero design. Their should be data somewhere on the aerodynamics of a mustang.

2014 Camaro 1LE
2001 Cobra White SOLD
1989 Mustang GT "F0xR0d" SOLD
12.49 @ 116.8 mph (BFG KDW Street tire)
post #6 of 10 Old 08-22-2006, 06:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Hi stang girl,
I guess you have seen this on Mighty:

http://forums.mightymustangs.net/ind...&gopid=178190&

I just have to find out how much shipping to the US might come.

'03 Cobra
post #7 of 10 Old 08-22-2006, 06:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
That's pretty cool stuff, Dirk. Could you be more specific on what exactly that plastic is? Type? Thickness? Where one could find it? I might have to try something similar on my car(s).

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #8 of 10 Old 08-22-2006, 07:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I do work for a TV Station and we use that "sheet Plastic" to cover the floor to protect it. The sheet is 100cm x 200cm and ~5mm thick.
I did cut the whole piece in 3 little 100cm x 66cm pieces.

Most of the guys from Mightymustangs in Germany are with the US Army, so I'd guess shipping it to you won't be much of a problem.

'03 Cobra
post #9 of 10 Old 08-25-2006, 12:32 PM

I made my own splitter:

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #10 of 10 Old 08-29-2006, 11:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen
That's pretty cool stuff, Dirk. Could you be more specific on what exactly that plastic is? Type? Thickness? Where one could find it? I might have to try something similar on my car(s).
You should be able to find some in your area. I have found several local plastic company's. I just looked in the yellow pages under "plastic". The place I use can make anything out of pcv, lexan, abs....just give them a design or blueprint. But they also have a very good scrap bin that they sell peices out of for cheap. They have pvc sheet, tubes, abs plastic sheets, & lexan, all in different thickness, colors...A search in your are should turn up something.

Track car: '96 Cobra Stock engine & trans. MM PHB, TA & rear adjustable sway bar, Koni coil-overs, MM A-arms, (K-member coming), Koni coil-overs, Brembo 4-pots w/ ducting. Torsen diff, 4-pt roll bar, .......and the list keeps growing.

New arrival: '93 Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement