should I,,, 93 and back?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-20-2005, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
should I,,, 93 and back??

I was looking into building up a 93 back to maybe even an 86 GT for playing around. I sold my 2000GT 2 years ago. I only had nitrous and such on it, but it was fun. I have been looking into getting one of the older stangs for a play toy. but looking into making one handle looks to be quite expensive. would you guys recommend something else. this car will just be a "bash around" toy. I have too many toys as of now anyway. I have a Yamaha RoadStar Warrior with 105hp at the tire and 130ft/lbs torque, a 20 ft bass boat with a 225, a 76 ford f100 4x4, and my daily driver 03 f150 FX4. I was thinking of selling the old truck and bass boat and getting one of the older GTs. I live pretty close to deal's gap / " the dragon" 318 curves in 11 miles incase you have never heard of it. Well to make a long story short would you all advise me not to get an old GT for setting up and thrashing the curves, or to not go with one that old with the small brakes. My ideal car would be something that handles well enough to take to the dragon, but yet something to smoke the ricers with from red light to red light. the only problem is most ppl only drag race mustangs, and a miata does not have enough balls.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-20-2005, 04:45 PM

Well, this forum isn't a big advocate of canyon carving or "smoking ricers from red light to red light", but fox bodies are popular open track/autocross/roadrace toys.

post #3 of 13 Old 12-20-2005, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

SJ I see you are from Knoxville. You never been up to deal's gap / 129 into robbinsville N.C.? I'm not talking about setting any land speed records. Im in my 30's. I just want torque. I take my bike up to deals gap about every weekend, but now that it is cold, I was looking into fixing up a budget car to take up there in the cold months. nothing to get too crazy in. Just something to hang out in the corners in, maybe slap a supercharger on. something around 400hp to play with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-20-2005, 05:06 PM

I go up there whenever I can. I'm sure a fox body would be plenty fun. If that is what you want, that is what you should build.

Steve Rife
post #5 of 13 Old 12-20-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Im just looking for a "fun" car. Not an all out racer. im older now, the ability to stop is actually more important than the quickest ET. In my 20s, sure; "who needs brakes". But I am looking for something other than rice and the 93 and back seem to have sub-standard brakes. 2000.00 just to get one up to sn95 standards is a little much.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-20-2005, 05:30 PM

Well, how about a sn95? A 94-95 shouldn't be too pricey, you get a better chassis than the fox, and you still have the five liter to play with. I hope to put one together as an autocross car one of these days.

Steve Rife
post #7 of 13 Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 PM

If it were me, I'd find a decent priced 99> GT. I'd hate to be thrashing on a car, especially one that was kinda old and have a suspension piece fail(espeically up at www.dealsgap.com !)

99> GT has the good brakes, good power(powerband), 5-lug, and you can even put nitrous on it, too.

I'm really impressed with my car and what I've been able to accomplish with it.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-20-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

I was looking into revamping the whole suspension (part of the fun), but the 4 bolt hubs and small brakes is what kind of holds me back, I really want 5.0, just for the fact of cheap power and tons of aftermarket. but I hate the looks of the 94-95 with the 5.0 . im just torn LOL
post #9 of 13 Old 12-20-2005, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

I guess I should get a miata and shoehorn a 302 down into it. :P
post #10 of 13 Old 12-20-2005, 07:58 PM

Why not get a fox body and just convert to 5 lug and 4 wheel disc brakes? The $2000 price tag would be for the FMS 2300K kit. If pieced together, you should be able to get it setup for around half that price. That is what I did and I am very happy with the results.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #11 of 13 Old 12-20-2005, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

I found a clean 83GT project locally, but I kinda think that is TOO old, but they are all the same correct? just carbbed instead of an EFI roller motor??? what are the other cons?
post #12 of 13 Old 12-20-2005, 10:39 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
No, you'll find that the suspension and brakes and a whole host of other unseen stuff is different on the ones older than '87-93. I have a soft spot for the 82's and other 4-eyes cars but I didn't realize how different they all are over time until KS82GT bought his '82 and started digging into it. And it's cool in its own right and it's fine if you know what you have and what you need, but it can be uniquely difficult to take a middle-of-the-road approach with. Meaning if what you want to do is go more all-out (sort of) and upgrade to 5-lug 4 wheel discs with an and yada yada, well you'll have to throw away the same stuff an 87-93 owner would and install much the same equipment he would in the process. But if you want a better 8.8 diff you'll have to address that too. And on the other end, if you're wanting to take just a little step here like upgraded struts (most newer ones won't fit the spindle), a minor upgrade to the pitifully tiny brakes, (again you're limited by the spindle), exhaust (the crossmember doesn't accept duals) etc etc, you need to be aware of what the limitations of the platform of the era are.

Last edited by MFE; 12-20-2005 at 10:43 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-27-2005, 07:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I have been building a budget notch to handle. It has been a kind of long project, but overall it has been fun. I have spent less than 2000 and have an 88 Notch, 5.0, 5-lug w discs all around and some good suspension parts. I have been patient on finding parts and really found some deals, but they are out there.

I would use a Notch because they are stiffer for handling. I would start by replacing all the suspension bushings, when I have it apart for the 5-lug conversion.

Good Luck,
Chris

1997 Cobra
1991 Mazda Miata (my gas saver!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement