Dissapointed with KONI's workmanship. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-18-2005, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
jeb

Trader Feedback: (0)
Dissapointed with KONI's workmanship.

I installed a set of Koni yellows on my buddies 90 vert, and was quite dissapointed with their attetion to detail. The instructions were damn near useless, the two nuts for the rear shocks were two different thread patterns, and the struts did not come with an adjusting knob, (which are different from the rear knob) and the large nuts that came with the struts I'm guessing were the wrong thread also, because they stripped out when I tightend them, (both sides, and they were'nt cross threaded) I had to clean the threads and use the stock upper nuts. I kind of feel like a jack-ass telling my buddy what a great product they are, and have him watch me have so much trouble installing them.

Anyone else have problems?

Starting soon: 98 PI Swap/3650, IRS, ABS 6-piston Brembo, (possibly 4-eyed) 92 coupe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-18-2005, 08:54 PM

id talk to the people at koni. ive never seen any of those types of problems with any konis i have installed.

gumby
post #3 of 15 Old 12-18-2005, 09:52 PM

double-post

Last edited by markfhp; 12-18-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-18-2005, 09:54 PM

i put my yellows on back in 2001 and i do remember the directions being useless and totally confusing (at least for a rank amateur mechanic like me) ... i finally went online, found a site by a guy who had installed bilsteins or something, and everything worked dandy.

also, my top nuts did resist being tightened, but i just assumed that was a way to keep 'em on tight.

haven't had problems since then. in fact, i love 'em!

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-19-2005, 01:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Do you recall what website that was as I have konis that are about to go on but yah, the instructions suck. Mine came with no adjusting knob either (rear) but their is some king of black thing like 2 inches long that I can't figure out what it is for.

2005 Mustang GT
post #6 of 15 Old 12-19-2005, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
jeb

The black things are just to go over the end of the rod to keep the adjuster from getting damaged in shipping. Being an ametuer mechanic has nothing to do with it, I've installed dozens of sets of struts and shocks and never had any problems. (mostly bilstiens and KYB's) Don't get me wrong, they handle and ride superbly, but the upper bolt did'nt resist tightening, they flat out would not go on. They actually stripped out the thread to were I had to clean out the nut shavings so I could get another nut on it.

Starting soon: 98 PI Swap/3650, IRS, ABS 6-piston Brembo, (possibly 4-eyed) 92 coupe.

Last edited by jeb; 12-19-2005 at 01:51 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-19-2005, 01:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I've done Konis on my Mustang (Reds initially, then Double-Adjustables and Yellows) and on my Subaru (Yellows all around) and have never seen problems like you experienced. I finally tossed some adjustment knobs, because I had about 4000 of them floating around from each set of dampers! And the threads not matching on the nuts really seems weird. Where did you get the Konis from? I'm assuming they were new in the box, not second hand?

I haven't had any such problems, nor have I ever read of anyone else having so many issues. That's definitely not normal for Koni.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #8 of 15 Old 12-19-2005, 02:07 AM

I run Koni yellows on my bird. The front shocks are an insert, so i have to hack the top of the existing shock body off and drill a hole in the bottom, insert and bolt down. I didnt even bother with the directions, as they seem to be cookie cutter useless. I found a mk8 owner who did a coil spring conversion and used his write up. Other than the useless directions that came with the shocks, I love my Konis. They work out great at the drag strip. All the way stiff in the front, and vietnamese whore loose in the rear shocks.

[email protected]
2.12 60' time
3650lbs
post #9 of 15 Old 12-19-2005, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
jeb

They came from Steeda. The plastic bags all the little parts came in were not opened. This won't keep me from using them again, as I said they are excelent as far as handling goes. I was just curious if anyone else had these problems

post #10 of 15 Old 12-19-2005, 11:49 AM

Three fasteners for the struts and two for the shocks - for that you need directions?

Seriously, mine just about fell on. Well, except I reused Ford's nuts on the rear shocks, the ones that are squished so they don't back out. Took me a minute to realize they were not stripped. I got mine from TireRack, knobs came with, etc.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #11 of 15 Old 12-19-2005, 02:17 PM

tried them (yellow's) on a 2004 mach 1 and the rear shocks lower holes on the shock were to small for the bolt. I had to find a smaller bolt to fit (good thing I work at a ford dealer)

2004 MACH 1
2003 GT Vert (Steeda)
1993 Cobra (heads cam 5 link ect)
post #12 of 15 Old 12-19-2005, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
jeb

Though the top nuts would not thread, and stripped out I did not need directions for that, as I've installed struts before.

My need for directions were for adjustment. They show some completely different cars struts, and show them puting them in a vise and spinning the rod. I was just figuring they could have made the instructions a little helpful for someone who has never installed adjustables before.

post #13 of 15 Old 12-19-2005, 08:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I've installed many sets on many cars and never had any issues. The set you have is definitely out of the ordinary.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-19-2005, 11:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I installed a set of yellows on my '91. No problems with fronts.
Instructions were useless, not really needed except for adjusting the rears.

The big disappointment came when I learned how to adjust the rears, you need to unbolt the shock to adjust them! This really baffled me as to why someone would go out of their way to design a rear shock like this. Other brands adjust from the top!

The good news is that when they are dialed in they work great.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-20-2005, 01:50 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Coupe
Other brands adjust from the top!
You must have an older set. The newer ones are externally adjustable (from the top, with a knob)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement