Finally installed MM Grip in a Box! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-17-2005, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Finally installed MM Grip in a Box!

All the suspension pieces are on, now we're just rebuilding the rear axle with a True-Trac, 3.55 gears and a T/A cover.

My question is, while i was putting the rear goodies on the car, i simply removed the quad shocks and the rear brackets that mount to the frame. Do you guys think that this will cause any handling issues since i wont be running a Panhard Bar just yet?

1993 Mustang GT
Maximum Motorsports, Brembo, Recaro, Etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-17-2005, 12:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
If you plan on a PHB, and it is indeed a good modification, do not use the T/A rear cover. You will more than likely have interference between the cover and the PHB.

post #3 of 10 Old 12-19-2005, 08:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
unless you are pushing major torque, the TA cover isn't needed. I've run my car many times without the quads. On the street it won't make any difference in normal daily driving. If you start launching at 5000rpm on the street, you'll notice they are missing...

Reef blue 93 hatch, 5 speed, 65mm t/b, GT40 h/i, Crane 2030, 1.7s, LTH, pulleys, o/r h, 31 spline diff w/4.10, Mosers [email protected] (1.64 short)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-19-2005, 08:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
What exactly is the advantage of the T/A cover over the stock one? Is it just less likely than the stock one to allow gears to be spewed all over the road when the diff blows up?
post #5 of 10 Old 12-19-2005, 09:55 AM

I have a T/A cover on my MM panhard equiped 02 GT Mustang. I bought it for stregnth, and easy fluid fill reasons. They aren't that expensive and I figure any support I can give my rear diff while launching on drag radials and nitrous........the better. The T/A cover has diff. retainer support studs built in that keep it from twisting. They are only tighten down to like 10 or so ft/lbs.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-19-2005, 11:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I bought a T/A cover because my Diff plug in the housing was stripped. BTW- mine fit fine with the MM PHB. I have plenty of room.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-19-2005, 12:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Glad you guys have clearance, others haven't been so lucky.

Link to clearance issues.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-19-2005, 01:40 PM

With Mustang build tolerance's measured in "inches", it does not surprise me.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-19-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
I have the newer model T/A Cover with the recessed bolts (the bolts that are making contact with the Panhard bar in the other link are recessed in the surrounding metal). I'll give it a shot... I bought it for the easy fill/drain option.

1993 Mustang GT
Maximum Motorsports, Brembo, Recaro, Etc.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-20-2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prez1967
My question is, while i was putting the rear goodies on the car, i simply removed the quad shocks and the rear brackets that mount to the frame. Do you guys think that this will cause any handling issues since i wont be running a Panhard Bar just yet?
The quad shocks and panhard bar have nothing to do with each other. The panhard bar locates the axle laterally (side to side). The quad shocks help dampen the rotation of the rear axle (pinion angle change) to minimize wheel hop.

As for removing the quad shocks, it really depends on the car, some people can live without them, some need them. I dont have them on my car and I dont have any wheel hop with MM LCAs and new Ford uppers. The only definite time to remove the quads is when moving to another rear suspension type like a torque arm where the rotation of the axle is not controlled by the upper control arms.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement