Throwing in the Towel, Heads up - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-16-2005, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Throwing in the Towel, Heads up

Hey guys, I think I am going to sell my Fox body and quit kidding myself that I have a chance of competing in SM class on anything but a Regional level or that I have the finances to compete in NASA American Iron sometime in the next 5 years. The car has potential for AI/AIX or C-Prepared and is fun as hell to autocross or just wreak havoc on the street. I competed in SM in the Al region this past season and before I corded my Victoracers and was given the opportunity to finish the season in an STi, I was able to win 3 events with the Mustang (1 in ESP & 2 in SM) and placed in the top 3 in 2 others.

Anyway, I also have some good parts that may go with car or be sold separately.

https://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=737273

Good luck to all next season. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and lots of throttle induced oversteer.

Racing is Life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. -Steve McQueen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Corral Day Kittah

Quit autoxing it and start taking it to OT/HPDE days. SM and Foxes do not equate anymore. However, we're still having fun w/MFE's LX on the open track.

I highly recommend you do the same.

post #3 of 20 Old 12-19-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC LX
Quit autoxing it and start taking it to OT/HPDE days. SM and Foxes do not equate anymore. However, we're still having fun w/MFE's LX on the open track.

I highly recommend you do the same.
+1

I started running in SM2 against a ton of modified Z06s, Porsches and Turbo Miatas, i had no chance, period. I tried a couple of HPDEs and its another world, even in small tracks.... i went to an event with the local corvette club and i passed every single Z06 in a small 1.1 mile track in my intermediate/advance group. I will probably go to some autoX events, just for fun.... but 95% of my $$ goes towards OT events.

I don't have a fox, my car is a lot heavier; its pretty well balanced but weight is weight, the car doesn't have the transitions of a smaller/well designed/lighter car. I bought a turbo miata... well.... that's another story

Hector
2000 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-19-2005, 07:59 AM

I just autox to have fun, not make money. Open tracking is alota fun but my budget just wont let me do it as much as I'd like. I can autox about 15-20 times a year and have a blast, even dealing with small/constricting courses.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-19-2005, 08:47 AM

rlcsolo2- are you going to sell or part it out?

Reef blue 93 hatch, 5 speed, 65mm t/b, GT40 h/i, Crane 2030, 1.7s, LTH, pulleys, o/r h, 31 spline diff w/4.10, Mosers [email protected] (1.64 short)
post #6 of 20 Old 12-19-2005, 02:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcsolo2
Hey guys, I think I am going to sell my Fox body and quit kidding myself that I have a chance of competing in SM class on anything but a Regional level, I was able to win 3 events with the Mustang (1 in ESP & 2 in SM) and placed in the top 3 in 2 others.
I find this quote hilarious. You are sad because you can only compete in SM at a regional level with a fox? I would be happy to be competitive at a local level in our SM class. Personally I say, "Job well done". Competing against E30's, E36's, SRT-4's, blown Corrado's and R32's is NOT EASY with a fox body. I would say you are doing pretty darn good.

1992 LX 5.0
Suspension
Steeda G++ Track suspension

Engine
Fruits and Nuts 900 HP rebuild
Godzilla vs. King Kong Supersupercharger

Brakes
Stoptech Larger than Big, Kryptonite 12 piston brakes, with the diamond encrusted pads, the spent uranium rotors with the Freon direct assisted cooling kit.

Last edited by 92MNstanger; 12-19-2005 at 02:48 PM. Reason: I messed up the quote
post #7 of 20 Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I agree, Mustangs and SM don't mix. Gotta have a v8 though...

so...

http://www.edgemotorworks.com/m344.html

That makes me want to start looking for e36 318's on the cheap.

John Flesher
post #8 of 20 Old 12-20-2005, 10:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (30)
I don't know who you guys are kidding yourself or others but if you think for a minute that a foxbody can't compete with those ricers you have no faith in the 5.0. We repeatedly beat up on those types of cars on and off the track. Real competition comes with 911 carrera's twin turboed and supercharged ZO6's. Driver ability is the only concern I have with the Foxbody cars and that comes with years of practice on the track. If you need lessons let me know.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Corral Day Kittah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT
I just autox to have fun, not make money. Open tracking is alota fun but my budget just wont let me do it as much as I'd like. I can autox about 15-20 times a year and have a blast, even dealing with small/constricting courses.
Autox 20*$25=$500=a lot of potential HPDE seat time.

Another reason I don't autox much anymore: I have to invest at least 1/2 a day for <4 minutes of seat time.

I also get to OT my daily driver, complete with the baby seat in back. It makes for comical photos.

2007 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring AWD Turbo, 244 hp/258 torque - now with trailer hitch...zoom, zoom

Graduate: Bondurant Specialty Grand Prix Road Racing and Bridgestone Winter Driving Schools, some local autocross championships; now filling your mirrors on the open track
post #10 of 20 Old 12-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Corral Day Kittah

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKHORSE
If you think for a minute that a foxbody can't compete with those ricers you have no faith in the 5.0. We repeatedly beat up on those types of cars on and off the track. Driver ability is the only concern I have with the Foxbody cars and that comes with years of practice on the track. If you need lessons let me know.
First, stree racing is bad, m'kay?

And lessons? Start looking at profiles/sigs to check out members' experience.

Finally, let's review this year's solo nationals' results:

http://scca.org/_Filelibrary/File/20...NALresults.pdf

Not a single mustang in SM/SML competing. Hmph, must be us.

Last edited by KC LX; 12-20-2005 at 10:53 AM.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-20-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcsolo2
I think I am going to sell my Fox body and quit kidding myself that I have a chance of competing in SM class on anything but a Regional level
Quote:
.... off the track.....
?????????

hmm... do you have an SM class 'off the track' ??

I think you should teach us all and try to participate here: http://www.scca.com/Event/Result.asp?Ref2=83

Hector
2000 Mustang GT
post #12 of 20 Old 12-20-2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Autox 20*$25=$500=a lot of potential HPDE seat time.

Another reason I don't autox much anymore: I have to invest at least 1/2 a day for <4 minutes of seat time.
500$ doesn't even cover a track day/weekend. After entry fee is paid(300$), then you have hotel cost(50-90$), then you have gas money to get there, race, and drive back(100-150 if driving there, and most likely over 200 if you are towing). Lastly, the wear and tear on HPDE'ing/OT'ing is alot more.....tires/brakes especially.

Thats a chunk o' change for the dude that just wants to go out and have fun.

I can find no flaw in your statement, but autoxing is really inexpensive way to pass the time, get to know your car, and enhance your driving skills. Somewhat like a "Fast track" course in college.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Corral Day Kittah

Tony, talk to the folks here to get some cheaper seat time for yourself. I know it's not just the entry fees. I've been lucky and the tires/pads on my car have held up well.

Feel welcome to PM MFE and he may be able to direct you to a more cost-effective OT.

-and I totally agree w/you about autox. I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys driving and wants to improve their skills.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-20-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I don't know who you guys are kidding yourself or others but if you think for a minute that a foxbody can't compete with those ricers you have no faith in the 5.0. We repeatedly beat up on those types of cars on and off the track.
Others have addressed your "off the track" remark, but I'd like to know where your Mustang placed in SM or SM2 at the Solo2 Nationals(or at any ProSolo or Solo2 Divisional).

John in Houstion , who contributes here from time to time, tried a very well prepared and quick Fox in the first year of SM at Nationals - it wasn't pretty. The "ricers" haven't gotten slower. A Honda was 3rd in SM this year IIRC.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #15 of 20 Old 12-20-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Tony, talk to the folks here to get some cheaper seat time for yourself. I know it's not just the entry fees. I've been lucky and the tires/pads on my car have held up well.
Oh I keep my eyes open around here. Road Atlanta, VIR, and CMP are the one's I've done in the past, and for the full weekend, the entry fees were 175-300$ I do believe. The last one I did was at the VIR track(full course/2 days), and it was most certainly one of the most fun times I've had in a car, despite supercharger belt slippage....but later fixed.

There is a "Ro-Val" here locally(2hr drive)that I plan to visit once or twice this upcoming season, but autox will still be 90% of my hobby.

Keep in mind, I am no advocate for autox, I actually think the classing system sucks. For anyone that hasn't open tracked, there is nothing like doing 140mph+ down a straight, then watching the braking zone numbers decrease as you try to get the car settled down to drive the line out of the turn, right off the inside rumble strip. Don't even get me started on the "up hill S's" at VIR.

Last edited by 2k2GT; 12-20-2005 at 11:36 AM.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-20-2005, 11:57 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
We take for granted how spoiled we are in KC with the growth in cheap track time close by. I know a lot of people aren't so lucky.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-20-2005, 12:09 PM

Travel time does suck.....I think VIR was 6-7 hours for us, R.A. was around 6, and CMP was about the same if not a couple more, not too sure. I do not like to drive, and 3hrs is about all I can handle at a time in the ol' reg cab 2500 Chebby truck.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-20-2005, 01:42 PM

I love autocross, not for the seat time, but because I enjoy the challenge of figuring out the course and competing. I enjoy the people and enjoy working the course and hanging out. If I felt like I was putting in all day for 4 minutes of seat time, I wouldn't do it.

I have a hard time justifying the cost of HPD's. I hope to get into track trials and hillclimbs this season and I'd road race if I had that kind of money to throw away, but I can't get fired up over spending $500+ (everything Tony mentioned + I'd have miss work or rearrange my schedule) to not compete. That is a HUGE sacrifice for someone on my budget. I don't mean that as a knock on open trackers, that just isn't what motivates me. I used to bowl and play golf competitively growing up, I always loved tournaments and matches but HATED practicing or just messing around playing a few games or hole with friends.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 12:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrife1
I love autocross, not for the seat time, but because I enjoy the challenge of figuring out the course and competing. I enjoy the people and enjoy working the course and hanging out. If I felt like I was putting in all day for 4 minutes of seat time, I wouldn't do it.

I have a hard time justifying the cost of HPD's. I hope to get into track trials and hillclimbs this season and I'd road race if I had that kind of money to throw away, but I can't get fired up over spending $500+ (everything Tony mentioned + I'd have miss work or rearrange my schedule) to not compete. That is a HUGE sacrifice for someone on my budget. I don't mean that as a knock on open trackers, that just isn't what motivates me. I used to bowl and play golf competitively growing up, I always loved tournaments and matches but HATED practicing or just messing around playing a few games or hole with friends.
Hasn't hit the go-fast crack pipe yet
post #20 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92MNstanger
Hasn't hit the go-fast crack pipe yet
You don't even know the 1/2 of it.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement