Autocrossing in Florida - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 12-05-2005, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Autocrossing in Florida

Just wondering if any of you guys do some autocrossing in the central Florida region.My brother and I will be competing at as many events as possible this year in ESP. If any of you guys are going to be out there I would like to talk to you about suspension setups and what you guys think works and what doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-05-2005, 01:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCARACERGT
Just wondering if any of you guys do some autocrossing in the central Florida region.My brother and I will be competing at as many events as possible this year in ESP. If any of you guys are going to be out there I would like to talk to you about suspension setups and what you guys think works and what doesn't.
I run with Central Florida Region SCCA and also with the Martin Sports Car Club of Orlando. I usually compete in Deland, Fort Pierce and Gainesville. With MSCC we have events in Tavares and St. Augustine.

post #3 of 24 Old 12-05-2005, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

I think I've seen your car out there at Deland. I have the 2003 Mustang Gt that's black and silver, my brother has the red 98 Gt. Didn't you just put a cpbra r hood and bumper on your car recently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 12-05-2005, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCARACERGT
I think I've seen your car out there at Deland. I have the 2003 Mustang Gt that's black and silver, my brother has the red 98 Gt. Didn't you just put a cpbra r hood and bumper on your car recently?
Yes, I did just recently install those. If you need any advice just let me know. I can also ride along with you if you want some instruction too.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-05-2005, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Yor help would be greatly apreciated. I am planning on running as many events as I possibly can this upcomming year to try and recieve a year end trophy, mainly becuase I might have a possible sponsorship with a local goodyear store and they obviously want some recognition. This year is going to packed for me with racing. I also am part of the N.A.S.A., so I also plan on running my car at Moroso, Sebring and Miami next year as well. That and I am going to attend the Skip barber racing school here in Daytona this April. So as you can see, I realy enjoy racing and learning as much as I possibly can from anyone who is willing to give it to me. So I look forward to talking to you. I will be at the Brooksville event in Januray. It's a two day event so I guess it's like the IRCC events with one day practice and the next for points. I'll be out there on the points day. Thanks.
post #6 of 24 Old 12-05-2005, 10:06 PM

I run at the deland events as well. # 995. Listen to Glen, he is the only reason I continue to run a sn 95 mustang, he proves its more then possible to be successful in one.

I have rode in his car and It was better the Universal studios

Stan
post #7 of 24 Old 12-05-2005, 10:42 PM

Ok there's two too many people in this thread i've known for a few years . Glenn, keep an eye out for a silver s/c GT. It's got drag radials on the rear and i'm all over the place. You can't miss me. I've seen you at Fort Pierce once.

-Mark
post #8 of 24 Old 12-05-2005, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteedaGT
Ok there's two too many people in this thread i've known for a few years . Glenn, keep an eye out for a silver s/c GT. It's got drag radials on the rear and i'm all over the place. You can't miss me. I've seen you at Fort Pierce once.

-Mark
Wow, you drove from Daytona to Fort Pierce? That's even further than I drove. Do you ever go to Deland?

I know who Stan is, I'm not sure about SCCARACERGT, but I think I have seen his car. Mark, were you at IRCC this past summer? I think I recall a silver 04 GT that was getting pretty loose. You ought to come out more often, I have found autocross to be a hell of a lot more fun than drag racing. You get a lot more seat time too.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-06-2005, 12:45 AM

Heya Mark,
Glad you found your way here

Mark has a supercharged Gt and he is all over the place for that reason

I have known him along time

Stan
post #10 of 24 Old 12-06-2005, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Hey Mark, I finaly got the cobra brakes I ordered almost a month ago. I'm going to order the 5-link this week as well and all the parts that need to go with it. Where did you go again to have your exhaust done again? Are you going to the first event at Brooksville as well? My car is still at the paint shop as well, hopefully it will be done today. It's been in there since last Saturday. Talk to you later, time to work.

post #11 of 24 Old 12-06-2005, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
Wow, you drove from Daytona to Fort Pierce? That's even further than I drove. Do you ever go to Deland?

I know who Stan is, I'm not sure about SCCARACERGT, but I think I have seen his car. Mark, were you at IRCC this past summer? I think I recall a silver 04 GT that was getting pretty loose. You ought to come out more often, I have found autocross to be a hell of a lot more fun than drag racing. You get a lot more seat time too.
Haha yea man it was a long haul, but it was fun. I'm at every Deland event whether i'm running or not. If i'm not running i'm with Shawn(SCCARACERGT's little bro), Terry(SCCARACERGT), and more than a few other Mustangs. Yea I was there this summer and I actually think you got a picture of my car, but i'm not sure. I try to come out as much as I can, but there is always a tire issue with me haha. The ol drag radials are really bald so those need replaced soon. Terry is the one who brought me out to the autox and got me away from drag racing. I haven't been back to the 1320' since haha.

If I see you at the next event, would you mind taking a ride around with me and telling me where I can improve? I had the instructor, Kelly drive it and ride with me and he basically said that the drag radials are hurting me, but they are the only way to put the power down until I get full slicks at all 4 corners. He didn't do all that good when he drove my car, but he did have fun .

Stan: I can't wait to see your car back out there running(not over cones) man! You know how to find me out there, just follow the roar.

Terry: I hate you . I think the IRS swap is going into my car soon, so we'll see if my car is still a handfull once that's done. I'm taking the Cobra rear brakes from him and the entire suspsension front and rear. You and Shawn will still work me though . Some small no-name shop is where I got my exhaust welded. We'll have to see with yours though since you have Flows and not Race Bullets like me(weight issue).
post #12 of 24 Old 12-06-2005, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Mrk, give me a call, I don't have your number in my phone and Shawn is in class. I had a few questions about the brooksville and Gainseville events (if myou've gone to them). If you haven't, my freind said something today about either one of those two courses is a permanent course. He said it wal like anactual small road course that they compete on for autocross. Is that true, and if so which event is it? Oh, by the way, do any of you guys belong to N.A.S.A.? If you do I wanted to see if any of you wanted to go to any of the HPDE events they are going to have this year.

I think the first one is at Moroso in march. I haven't been to Moroso yet but I hear it's a fun track, which one isn't that you can reach speeds of at least 120 mph or more. Just checking, but if any of you want to go just let me know.
post #13 of 24 Old 12-06-2005, 08:05 PM

Calling Terry.
post #14 of 24 Old 12-07-2005, 02:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I usually race in the Buccaneer Region in Jax, mainly because I don't want to travel to much at the moment, but I try and make all of the events in Gainesville since I live here. That said I have only competed one season. I didn't get out any this year because of car problems, but I hope to be at everyone that I can next year.
post #15 of 24 Old 12-08-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

That's cool man. I plan on going to a lot of autocrossing events in Gainseville and a couple other places. The only ones I've done so far are Deland and IRCC. But this year I want a year end trophy, and I'm going to go to as many events as I possibly can and win as many as I posibbly can to get one. You won't be able to miss us out there. i have an '03 Gt with a two tone, black and silver paint job and my brother usualy goes with me in his '98 Gt that's bright red. Just come over and talk to us if you want.
post #16 of 24 Old 12-09-2005, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Hey Mark, I'm not going to be able to go to the Brooksville event. I forgot I signed up for the Silver Springs car show that weekend. I think it's still free if you sign up now and if you get a chance call Shawn and see if he's going.
post #17 of 24 Old 12-12-2005, 12:03 PM

I am also active in CFR SCCA and MSCC autocross.

I think we might have raced against each other last month, or the month before...I was driving my silver Subaru STi in ESP. SCCA is moving the STis and Evos into BSP in 2006.

What you didn't know is that my true passion is MY Mustang. Hopefully I'll have it tuned and ready to run early next year. I have a '96 Mystic Cobra, Procharged, MM suspension, BBS RKs...I'll introduce myself the next time I see you guys out at an event.

See ya,

- Ryan Speaks

'05 STi
post #18 of 24 Old 12-12-2005, 12:19 PM

Haha I remember the STi being out there the last event at Deland. I wasn't running, but Terry and Shawn were in your class running. Definately come introduce yourself. I've got a Novi powered silver GT. You'll see me with the other bunch of Mustangs.

That Mystic is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! I think i've seen you at OSW once, but i'm not sure. I've also seen those pics on SVTPerformance or one of the other many Mustang forums i'm on.
post #19 of 24 Old 12-12-2005, 12:27 PM

Here's some pics of our cars.
The group:

My car(the slowest s/c GT you'll ever see on an autox course):

Shawn:

Terry(SCCARACERGT):

Ray:
post #20 of 24 Old 12-12-2005, 05:08 PM

Yep, I remember seeing your cars out there. Thanks for the compliments...I appreciate it. I'm itching to get my car dyno-tuned so I can really drive it and finally bring it out to an autox event.

I don't race at OSW anymore, gave that up when I started autocrossing...but I've seen a few other clean '96 Mystics around my area, was probably one of them.

Yep, I've posted those same pics several times, some of my favorites...just showing off!

'05 STi

Last edited by svtruck; 12-12-2005 at 05:11 PM.
post #21 of 24 Old 12-12-2005, 06:27 PM

Justin Starkey has a mobile dyno and he tunes SCT. If you need a contact to him, PM me.
post #22 of 24 Old 12-13-2005, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

That's an awesome mustang. I remember your STI too. I like the Subaru's. I tried to catch you on times that day, but nitto street tires suck for autocrossing. They're excellent for everyday use since their tread is rated at 300, but don't heat up fast enough for short comepetition sprints like autox. I hope to see you out there agai in the next few months, and hopefully you get the stang sorted out to bring it out as well. Once again, nice cars, both of them.
post #23 of 24 Old 12-13-2005, 11:45 AM

Yeah, those STi's are really nice cars. Sunday Ryan turned in some awesome times on a rain slick course with standing water. There was no way I was catching him in my DD Cobra on street tires. It wasn't just the car either, Ryan is getting pretty smooth and quick in that Subie.
post #24 of 24 Old 12-13-2005, 04:45 PM

SteedaGT, yep, Justin and I have been emailing back and forth for a few weeks now, I'm working the bugs out of my car and we're going to get together and get it tuned.

SCCARACERGT, thanks for the compliments...I was (and am still) running my stock Bridgestone Potenza RE050s which are 140 tread rating, they're decent tires, I like them. I think it's a good decision by the SCCA to move the "rally cars" out of ESP into BSP.

Glenn, I really appreciate the kind words Sir, especially coming from you. I was amazed by that last run I made, it felt really slow to me then I finished and saw the time and was really surprised. I'm not so sure it wasn't the car, more than my driving, but I'm a modest person. The AWD grip was just amazing! I wasn't four-wheel drifting it like Bryn was in his Evo, but I was still putting the hammer down after the chicago box through that middle section.

I had a new adjustable rear sway bar, new turbo-back exhaust and I just loaded a new tune into my ECU that takes me up to 350hp and 385 lb/ft of torque (Cobb Stage 2 for those in the know) but it raises my peak boost from 14.5psi to around 17.5psi. So from now on I'll have to either load my stock tune back in for MSCC events and stay in BP or move up into BR (on street tires?!)...unless SMST allow unlimited boost? At SCCA events it looks like with the new boost controller allowance I can stay in BSP (again, still on stree tires) or run in SM or even STU (more appropriate for my car, but no one ever runs in this class).

'05 STi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement