Mustang AutoX - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-05-2005, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Mustang AutoX

Im pretty new to the whole Road Racing and AutoX stuff...I've only competed once but I go out to the AutoX events quite often with one of my friends in his EVO VIII. I have a 2002 Mustang GT, Supercharged, and the motor will be rebuilt by March. I have a really stiff suspension and bigger brake calipers. My question is whats the best suspension setup/tires to run with on AutoX, I have Nitto NT555R's but I would prefer to not use those for AutoX becuase they are kind of expensive...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-05-2005, 10:31 AM

Just go drive. You will learn what needs to be "fixed" as you progress as a driver.

Tires make all the difference in the world. If you want to be competitive, don't be concerned with cost. It's impossible to avoid. Just part of the game.

2000 GT Current Auto-X mule/Daily Driver

Quote: "5.0Torx"

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

Pick 2...
post #3 of 15 Old 12-05-2005, 11:44 AM

With a supercharged mustang you'l have a lot of difficulty being competititve as the rules put you in Sm2 with corvettes and other excellent handling cars.

Im not really competitive in SM either but I do it for the fun and compete against myself.

I have a 95supercharged V6 I have been autocrossing for one season.

1) Tires make all the difference. I have 265 35 18's in the front and 305 30 18's in the back.Kumho v700's

2) Brakes are very important. Hawk brake pads can help a lot. The better you stop the later you can brake

3) Gearing is important for your supercharger. You want to be able to spool it up. Most autocrosing is done at lower speeds and 4.10 gears can help ya get into boost faster.

4) Im sure everyone here has their favorite spring/shock combo. I wenth with Steeda Springs and Tokico 5 way adjustables. If you lower the car youll need to deal with bumpsteer. Bumpsteer kit, X2 ball joints.

5) Urethane bushings all around, Subframe connectors, adjustable rear swaybar came next for me . The next project is to replace control arms.

But as Coleman said, its your driving that will have the biggest effect on your times. Ride with an instructor often and take notes

Stan

Last edited by V6Convertible; 12-05-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-05-2005, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Are there racing schools near Springfield, MO? I have always been interested in racing and stuff just never knew if there was anything around that I could join besides AutoX.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-05-2005, 08:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Look at the website for Hallet in OK (Don't have a link right now). I'm guessing it is less than two hours drive from Springfield. They have track days where instruction is provided by volunteers. It is not a formal organized school, but the instruction should be excellent for novice and intermediate level drivers.

I have never been there, but I know some people who have and they all had a good time and really liked the track and the people who run it.

Al H

1997 Cobra, Born 3/19/1997, #3978/6961
#49 CP, Mix of Maximum Motorsports, Agent 47, Fays2
2011 GT, Giving in to modifications
post #6 of 15 Old 12-05-2005, 10:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceater
I have a 2002 Mustang GT, Supercharged, and the motor will be rebuilt by March. I have a really stiff suspension and bigger brake calipers. My question is whats the best suspension setup/tires to run with on AutoX, I have Nitto NT555R's but I would prefer to not use those for AutoX becuase they are kind of expensive...
You'll need to be a little more specific than "a really stiff suspension and bigger brake calipers" if you want anyone to provide useful comments on what to change or what to keep the same. I'd be willing to bet that your idea of a "really stiff suspension" is significantly softer than what it will need to be.

Check out http://www.chasinracin.com/track-loc...es/index.shtml to locate tracks that may be near you. Obviously out in the wide open MidWest you'll probably have to drive a bit, but Hallett (OK) and Heartland Park (KS) should be reasonably close (within a few hours drive), so you're in luck there.

Also take a look at www.trackschedule.com . It's not at all an all-inclusive list of events, but it will at least give you some idea of what clubs to talk to about events out your way. I only see Heartland Park on their list, so you'd have to look elsewhere to find events at Hallett. I imagine the 2006 events will start showing up on trackschedule.com in the near future.

Another good link is www.opentracking.com . Take a look at http://www.opentracking.com/track_events.htm for a list of event organizers, including a section of clubs that run events in the Midwest. Oh, and don't be put off my marque-specific clubs (Miata Club, BMWCCA, whatever) - most clubs will let non-marque cars run with them. Until they fill the event up, the more people that come, the better things work out $$$-wise, so they're happy to have you. Some of the best events I've attended were Potomac/Chesapeake Region Audi Club events, and I've never even owned an Audi!

Last but not least, Stan's pretty much on the right track (no pun intended ). You're not going to be competitive at an auto-x most likely, but go out there and have some fun. I'm significantly faster in my Subaru family sedan than I am in my Mustang, but every one in while it sure is fun to unleash the beast at an event.

Good luck and have fun!

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...

Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 12-05-2005 at 10:14 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-05-2005, 11:38 PM

Dont forget the new track

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com

Its a BLAST!!!!

Steve Glaab
SCCA T1 #5 Z06 Crew Chief
SCCA ITE #82 Crew Chief
2004 Mustang GT Daily Driver
post #8 of 15 Old 12-06-2005, 08:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Convertible
5) Urethane bushings all around
i don't know if i agree with that entirely. well than may be great for the front of the car it's probably the worst thing you could do for the rear.

you'd be better off with the stock control arm bushings than you would be with urethane ones.

hiems are a much better way to go. or the MM 3piece bushings at the least.

otherwise, I Concure Stan!
matt
post #9 of 15 Old 12-06-2005, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

..I dunno I guess you'd have to just see my car but I was putting down 353rwhp 329lb/ft tq on stock 3.27 gears..and when I'de launch it I wouldn't squat...at all. The suspension is the stiffest I've ever seen. I dont know didly squat about suspension in cars but I know the difference between stiff and loose. Stiff like when a hot girl walks by and loose like your mom..trust me i know the difference
post #10 of 15 Old 12-06-2005, 09:49 PM

Rear control arms

Try some HP Megabite Jrs.......they hook hard and help with antidive under braking........really helped my old 90GT..........however, they are right when they say a supercharged Mustang isn't competitive in any class when autocrossing.....to heavy, not fast enough and handle horribly, despite all our best efforts to make them handle better.........too nose heavy without drastic mods........

Mustangs are only really competitive in ESP, FS (non-supercharged Cobras and Mach 1s) and heavily modified in CP......

Steve Glaab
SCCA T1 #5 Z06 Crew Chief
SCCA ITE #82 Crew Chief
2004 Mustang GT Daily Driver

Last edited by cpthunder; 12-06-2005 at 10:00 PM. Reason: forgot something
post #11 of 15 Old 12-07-2005, 01:23 AM

I hoping to change that in SM

A Supercharged 3.8 is in the limits of SM

But Ill still get worked by m3's and WRX's

Stan
post #12 of 15 Old 12-08-2005, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Sadly to say here in Springfield we dont have a lot of really good handling cars that come out..Theres one guy in an 05 STi that comes out all the time, my friend in his 350whp EVO VIII, a guy in a lotus elise (which he sux at driving so its not really that hard to compete with), some rich club owner with a ferrari marenello, and a lamborghini murcielago, and 80% of it is Mustangs, Camaros, and Miatas. The absolute best driver I have seen out there was in an 05' Mustang GT, he was an older guy and smoking everyone out there. He would finish each lap by a second or two faster than the fastest cars out there, even the EVO's and STi's. So I mean it's harder to be competitive but not impossible however, I am not really looking to be competitive I am really just doing it so I can better my own driving and maybe one day move up to something bigger than AutoX.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-09-2005, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Convertible
I hoping to change that in SM

A Supercharged 3.8 is in the limits of SM
I think you are looking at SM2 rules. I think the forced induction limit in SM is 3.1 or so.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-09-2005, 10:26 AM

If you get a chance come up to Saint Louis and autocross a LOT of good autocrossers here; solo2.org has some of the local stuff on it and Kansas City has quite a few good drivers also
post #15 of 15 Old 12-09-2005, 11:05 AM

I depends on whether or not its a pushrod engine or not.

its 3.0 liters OHC and up to 4 liters pushrod.

http://www.scca.org/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf

Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement