TSB Subframe pics and availability? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-01-2005, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
TSB Subframe pics and availability?

I've been reading about these TSB Subrframes that are legal for all SCCA autocrossing classes and I've thought about picking up a pair for the SVO. However, searching here and on the web has produced zero (gotta love the 4 character minimum!) information on what these things look like or what model vehicles they were originally intended for or where to get them.

Anyone have some pics and where might I buy a pair of these? What's the average price?

1986 1D SVO - SOLD
2007 Mazda3 Hatchback 2.3L beater
1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L Sport
SVOCA #528
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-01-2005, 10:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
I believe the Ford TSB subframes are for SN95+ mustangs. I am not sure if you could make them work in a foxbody car. Even if you do make them work, you would still be violating the update/backdate due to the fact they are for 94+ cars.

My advice is to either nix the idea or get some MM full lengths. If you are going to run the car at an autocross, no one is going to care about your subframes when it comes to classing. Besides...your motor already puts you in a fun class. Just go out and have some fun.

1993 5.0
post #3 of 9 Old 12-01-2005, 11:06 PM

What's this about these TSB subframes? Are they legal on a 03 Gt in Fstock? And like the original poster said where can i get them? I am still under warranty can I complain about something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2005, 10:14 AM

The TSB I am aware of is for '96-'98 convertibles only. This makes them legal for ESP for any SN95 through update/backdate since all SN95's are on the same line in ESP.

Stock is more problematic. Unless your car came with sfc's (e.g., Mach 1 or some Cobras, IIRC), I'd guess you are out of luck. You can change your car over to a Mach 1 of your year in stock if you change everything that differs between the models. Seems like a lot of work.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #5 of 9 Old 12-02-2005, 11:30 AM

The TSB can be downloaded here...

http://u2.lvcm.com/nal/Subframe_TSB.pdf

NASA SoCal Time Trial #56 TTB

2006 NASA SoCal TTA Champion
2003 SCCA LVR Region CP Champion
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2005, 12:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
By using the part numbers frome the TSB above they can be found on the Ford Parts Network for around $35 a piece. Possible ESP equivelents for the fox body are the convertible x-brace and the rocker panel braces that were on the 93 R. I believe those are held on with many rivets, but other than that I don't know too much else about them. This is covered well in Mathis II.

But as Bob has already stated, the TSB SFCs can only be used on 96-98 Convertibles in the stock class. Any 1994-2004 Mustang can use these in ESP as per update/backdate. Bart with that engine its looking like at least SM or a Prepared class anyway, which means after market SFC's would be OK for you. Basically the SP engine allowance is stock long-block with port matching, whatever is in the shop manual, and rods and pistons that are greater than or equal to the weight of the stock peices.

-Bill

96 F350 PSD
Sold: 97 Cobra
post #7 of 9 Old 12-02-2005, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindc1
Bart with that engine its looking like at least SM or a Prepared class anyway, which means after market SFC's would be OK for you.
Aftermarket SFC's are okay in SM if and only if you don't tie them together, e.g., with a torque arm mount or even a driveshaft loop.

Also, re "Possible ESP equivelents for the fox body are the convertible x-brace and the rocker panel braces that were on the 93 R. I believe those are held on with many rivets, but other than that I don't know too much else about them." These should be okay in ESP as long as you attach them the same as the factory. The rocker panel thingies were glued and riveted, IIRC. So, if that is correct, you cannot weld them.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #8 of 9 Old 12-02-2005, 08:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Not that it really affects the discussion here, but if the '93R "rocker panel braces" are what I think they are, the Fox convertibles have those too (in addition to the X-brace up front and some reinforcing plates towards the rear that I think connect the rocker sill and subframe). I have bracing all along the rocker sill on the bottom of the car and it's riveted in place. Sounds like the same thing you guys are describing for the '93R.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #9 of 9 Old 12-02-2005, 11:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
IIRC, the 93 R rocker panel braces and the convertible pieces were the same part. I believe the convertibles had them glued and riveted on and the 93 R had them riveted the full length. Once again, this is all outlined extensively in Mathis II, and there is a chart of all the optimum Fox update/backdate parts to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfloz
Aftermarket SFC's are okay in SM if and only if you don't tie them together, e.g., with a torque arm mount or even a driveshaft loop.
Yes this is a very important point, which means a SFC's such as the MM full lengths are allowed. I am pretty sure that "through the floor" SFC's are allowed for Prepared classes but I don't know about SM. Also the plot thickens because SM uses all SP and Stock class allowances, and therefore the TSB SFC's and SFC mounted torque arm cross member would be allowed in SM, but not aftermarket SFC and torque arm cross member. The water is still murky with a SFC like the MM full-lengths (at least the SN95 models) because the instructions call for the transmission crossmember bracket to be notched and welded to the the SFC. But the crossmember is isolated by bushings so that makes a fine line, if that were allowed then there is a possible back door for a bushing isolated TA crossmember. I don't know the answers to those questions but I sure they can be found at SCCA forums and if not then Doug Gill would answer them for you via email.

-Bill

96 F350 PSD
Sold: 97 Cobra

Last edited by martindc1; 12-02-2005 at 11:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement