lightweight wheels? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-28-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
lightweight wheels?

So I went to a buddies house to weigh one of his totally stripped saleen wheels. 28 f*&#$#* pounds!!!!! This is stripped bare. So needless to say, i'm sure my saleen chromies must weigh around 31lbs a piece (nickel, copper, chrome plated). Its unfortunate, because I really like the look, but I think i will be unloading these rims for sure. Here is where I need your help: I dont have much scratch to spend on rims since I already plan to purchase some GT/cobra stocker rims and some used RR tires (for the next open track season). I would love some BBS RK's or CCW classics, but its not gonna happen anytime soon. So what options are available for a lightweight and affordable street tire? I'm open to 17" or 18" options...

And yes i've searched, but nothing i've found really tackles this topic. And i've seen the wheel weight list on Modular Depot and IMHO, its not accurate...

thanks all!

H/C/KB 01 Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-29-2005, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentnoir
Maybe it's time for a group purchase on some Forgelines..... dreaming doesn't cost anything.
sounds good to me but those CCW classics are really growing on me

H/C/KB 01 Cobra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-29-2005, 07:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnake305
So I went to a buddies house to weigh one of his totally stripped saleen wheels. 28 f*&#$#* pounds!!!!! This is stripped bare. So needless to say, i'm sure my saleen chromies must weigh around 31lbs a piece (nickel, copper, chrome plated). Its unfortunate, because I really like the look, but I think i will be unloading these rims for sure. Here is where I need your help: I dont have much scratch to spend on rims since I already plan to purchase some GT/cobra stocker rims and some used RR tires (for the next open track season). I would love some BBS RK's or CCW classics, but its not gonna happen anytime soon. So what options are available for a lightweight and affordable street tire? I'm open to 17" or 18" options...

And yes i've searched, but nothing i've found really tackles this topic. And i've seen the wheel weight list on Modular Depot and IMHO, its not accurate...

thanks all!
Maybe it's time for a group purchase on some Forgelines..... dreaming doesn't cost anything.

particularly non-stock 99 Cobra w/brand C motor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-29-2005, 11:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
If you're budget is tight, a set of '95 Cobra R rims are a decent option at around 22-23lbs each. Good looking, right sizing at 17" x 9", factory engineered and plentiful on the used market.

'05 STi
post #5 of 12 Old 11-29-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtruck
If you're budget is tight, a set of '95 Cobra R rims are a decent option at around 22-23lbs each. Good looking, right sizing at 17" x 9", factory engineered and plentiful on the used market.
If you go this route I would suggest getting the 58 instead of the 50 Cobra Rs. The 58s are lighter by a pound or two, and I believe that they are forged. You can tell the difference on the back of the wheel the 58s were made in Japan and the 50s are made in the USA.

They are the same price on FRPP.

post #6 of 12 Old 11-29-2005, 12:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
These Konig Villains look to be a good 95R alternative and the price isn't bad either. Just something I heard and saw about the Saleen wheels. I was having some parts powder coated. The guy was powder coating a set of Saleen wheels at the time. He was complaining that the casting was of poor quality. You could see small pot marks all around where air bubbles had escaped through the casting. He had a set of Ford "Pony" wheels and the finish after the powder coating was nice and smooth in comparison.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/konig.asp

KDS
94 Cobra #3265, with a "pretty set of brakes"

Last edited by hwyrngr; 11-29-2005 at 09:08 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-29-2005, 03:00 PM

Unfortunately, light weight cost money..... I have the American Racing "rebel" wheels.... They also look great but are not very light..... and proper "racing wheels" are expensive.... I would try to find some used sets if you really want to save cash.....

Also, as a side not I've got a full set (4) of Good Year F1 Eagles 275/35/18. They are new still with the labels on them and have never been mounted. Somebody told me the other day they were rated very high if not first. I'm going to a bigger size and exchanging them looks like it'll be more trouble than it's worth..... If this size will work for you, I'd love to sell them.... Anything "remotely" close to the $250ea that I paid for them would be great.... IM me if you're interested.....

DV
post #8 of 12 Old 11-29-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftBatch
If you go this route I would suggest getting the 58 instead of the 50 Cobra Rs. The 58s are lighter by a pound or two, and I believe that they are forged. You can tell the difference on the back of the wheel the 58s were made in Japan and the 50s are made in the USA.

They are the same price on FRPP.
I don't think either is forged, they are both cast aluminum. The R58 is the original type that was on the '95 R. The R50 is the "remake" with wider spokes. I think they weight about the same. I'd go with either the original R58 Cobra R wheels or the Konig Villians are a good option as well.

Here is some information on the differences between wheel construction types:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...cc_wheelguide/

Forged wheels, ala most BBS models, are much more expensive than cast aluminum wheels.

'05 STi

Last edited by svtruck; 11-30-2005 at 12:19 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-29-2005, 07:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
The original R58s were "pressure cast" according to the FRPP catalogs. The catalog made it sound like that was better than normal casting. I dunno. I do know that guys have been running them on track for 10 years now and they seem to do the job just fine. They're not super light at 22-23#, but to go much lighter than that and still be strong enough for racing = forged = $$$ (as already discussed).

MM apparently hasn't had any troubles racing their various cars on the Konig Villians. If they had had any problems they'd be the first ones to let everybody know about it, so based on that I'd say the Villians are another excellent option and the price is certainly reasonable.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #10 of 12 Old 11-29-2005, 10:54 PM

As Patrick said, the R58 wheels are pressure cast, and he's right that they're better than a normal casting. It mostly reduces the amount of porosity in the wheels. It also lets them bend rather than break like the R50s and copies.

Cream may rise to the top, but sometimes sh&t floats too.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-30-2005, 07:12 AM

Considering that, its strange that they're the same price and the R50s don't look as nice...at least IMHO. I've got a set of R58s in my garage...got a good deal on them used...waiting for r-comps eventually.

'05 STi
post #12 of 12 Old 11-30-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtruck
Considering that, its strange that they're the same price and the R50s don't look as nice...at least IMHO. I've got a set of R58s in my garage...got a good deal on them used...waiting for r-comps eventually.
Yeah, I knew they were better just wasn't sure how much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement