Which coilovers? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-25-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Which coilovers?

What would you guys go with here.. i'm looking at either the Steeda kit or the D&D Motorsports kit.. these are in my price range. Unfortunatly MM and Griggs stuff is not in my price range.

Thanks,

Steeda
http://www.steeda.ca/catalogue_product_type_271.asp

D&D
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...1=DD7998105+01

Car will be a daily driver and i intend to autox it occasionally.

1988 Coupe 5spd

Windsor JR's, XE264HR-14, Cobra intake, BBK long tubes, frame connectors, 4.10's, 03 Cobra brakes and wheels, FMS B springs

Last edited by Mavrick; 11-25-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-25-2005, 09:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I had Griggs and hated the noise they made (springs bowed badly)... I now have a complete MM tubular front end and it's super quiet... I just checked those links and that $250 price you see for the steeda kit does not include the springs...so it's not that much cheaper than Maximum... My advice to you would be to do it once, spend the extra cash, and get the MM kit...

96 Cobra
post #3 of 22 Old 11-25-2005, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Its $246CDN though.. and then $72cdn for springs. And this kit will work with my stock struts for now... MM's kit is $260+$63+$63 american.. plus shipping and brokerage.

Steeda is only a few hours away so shipping is cheap.

For the MM kit with new struts i'd be looking at $600USD or more, then exchange, shipping and brokerage. I just can't afford it.

1988 Coupe 5spd

Windsor JR's, XE264HR-14, Cobra intake, BBK long tubes, frame connectors, 4.10's, 03 Cobra brakes and wheels, FMS B springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-26-2005, 08:38 AM

Also check WMS, they seem to have what almost looks like a mistake at $179.52CDN.
http://www.wmsracing.com/pgi-ProductSpec?STD-07001940B

You can also order MM from WMS (and there's no PST or brokerage), and from DaSilva. Sometimes, DaSilva sells MM for the $US price plus straight going exchange rate (ie no brokerage or shipping from California).

1997 Pacific Green Mustang SVT Cobra
post #5 of 22 Old 11-26-2005, 10:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Just troll the classified forums. Every now and then you'll find a used set for sale. Better to do it right the first time than spend money again later.
post #6 of 22 Old 11-27-2005, 04:49 PM

I have the full MM suspension and its well worth the extra money. The entire package fits properly with no issues.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-27-2005, 07:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann
Just troll the classified forums. Every now and then you'll find a used set for sale. Better to do it right the first time than spend money again later.
I second that. I have the full MM package. the product is first class and they don't skimp on anything. Above all it fits!!! Well worth the extra expense.

particularly non-stock 99 Cobra w/brand C motor...
post #8 of 22 Old 11-28-2005, 01:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (172)
The D&D kit isn't skimping, I promise. MM is a little hyped up IMO, don't get me wrong, I have some of there stuff on my car and love it. Yeah, you can't go wrong with MM, but there are definitely other companies that make products that are just as good if not better than MM for WAY less money. My D&D coilovers are perfect, no noise, nice quality hardware, and are definitely in for the long run (been on car for a LONG time now).

UPR also sells a nice looking C/O kit, I was going to buy them at first, but got a really good deal on the d&d kit.

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=121

99 4V GT VERT

Last edited by autosay97; 11-28-2005 at 01:33 AM.
post #9 of 22 Old 11-28-2005, 05:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autosay97
The D&D kit isn't skimping, I promise. MM is a little hyped up IMO, don't get me wrong, I have some of there stuff on my car and love it. Yeah, you can't go wrong with MM, but there are definitely other companies that make products that are just as good if not better than MM for WAY less money. My D&D coilovers are perfect, no noise, nice quality hardware, and are definitely in for the long run (been on car for a LONG time now).

UPR also sells a nice looking C/O kit, I was going to buy them at first, but got a really good deal on the d&d kit.

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=121
I've had both D&D and MM coilover kits on my cars. Unless D&D has made some monumental changes in their CO kit they are nowhere near the quality of the MM kit. My D&D kit had problems with the springs bowing and rubbing the threaded sleeve. It eventually wore through the anodized finish on the threaded part and got down to bare aluminum. The instructions were piss poor, just one page with a sketch of how it was supposed to look. I had to figure out on my own how to add spacers to get the upper perch to clear the strut tower. The upper mount did not have an o-ring groove or o-ring to seal out dirt or water. The threaded adjuster had no holes for using a spanner wrench for adjustment, just some knurling. Other than that, I guess I got what I paid for.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
I've had both D&D and MM coilover kits on my cars. Unless D&D has made some monumental changes in their CO kit they are nowhere near the quality of the MM kit. My D&D kit had problems with the springs bowing and rubbing the threaded sleeve. It eventually wore through the anodized finish on the threaded part and got down to bare aluminum. The instructions were piss poor, just one page with a sketch of how it was supposed to look. I had to figure out on my own how to add spacers to get the upper perch to clear the strut tower. The upper mount did not have an o-ring groove or o-ring to seal out dirt or water. The threaded adjuster had no holes for using a spanner wrench for adjustment, just some knurling. Other than that, I guess I got what I paid for.
While I have not used the D&D kit, I have seen one. My feelings are the same a Glenn. There is a big difference in quality and construction from the MM coil-over kit. I dont know how the customer service is with D&D, but I do know that MM is top notch there too. So it comes down to this, you get what you pay for.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #11 of 22 Old 11-30-2005, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

I've decided to go with the MM's. Thanks guys.

Could anyone tell me how to make the tokico/koni kit work with my stock struts (for now, they are brand new)?

1988 Coupe 5spd

post #12 of 22 Old 11-30-2005, 05:47 AM

I wouldnt even bother going coil-overs with the stock dampeners unless you go with light/stock spring rates. When you incease spring rate you will want to have dampeners that can control them or handling and ride will suffer. If you are tight on money, buy good dampeners first, then buy the springs later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP

post #13 of 22 Old 11-30-2005, 06:50 AM

I also ran a D&D front K-member, arms and coilovers. Springs rubbed the sleeves, had squeaking issues, the top bearings were shot after 15k street miles, and had a cracked A-arm.
I now run all MM and I couldn't be happier.

'00 Atlantic Blue GT - '03 Cobra swap, TKO600, full MM suspension
'01 Corvette - D1 blown stroker
'85 Mustang GT - bone stock except exhaust
post #14 of 22 Old 11-30-2005, 08:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I researched this before making my purchase I have seen various installations of most of the different companys. When I got my MM kit I knew they meant business when I saw the same brand rod clamps. We use the same thing at work on pneumatic cylinders that see more pressure than any force a mustang could transmitt. Plus you notice that most companys sell a coilover kit for all brands of struts. MM was the only one I saw that made kits specifically for a certain brand. Plus I live by the golden rule of use the same company for all the components. You know they designed each part to work with a certain other part. I have learned more than once never let your pocket book determine what you buy. If you can't afford it now wait a few months, because 3 years from now it won't matter if you got today or next month.

2014 Camaro 1LE
2001 Cobra White SOLD
1989 Mustang GT "F0xR0d" SOLD
12.49 @ 116.8 mph (BFG KDW Street tire)
post #15 of 22 Old 11-30-2005, 10:37 AM

A few things:
1) Neither company mentions what struts they will fit over. Assume they won't fit over Bilsteins.
2) C/O's will put you in a nasty auto-x class. I hope you are just auto-xing for fun.

e90 328i
post #16 of 22 Old 11-30-2005, 05:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrew
I have learned more than once never let your pocket book determine what you buy. If you can't afford it now wait a few months, because 3 years from now it won't matter if you got today or next month.
Sometimes I come across stuff on this site that should be "must read material".

particularly non-stock 99 Cobra w/brand C motor...
post #17 of 22 Old 12-01-2005, 02:16 AM

why dont you just buy the struts first, and use them while you save for the coilovers?

edit: what the hell? i meant to quote the post below mine... i dont know how this got above the post i meant to quote, it looks like the thread starter had the same problem.

1986 LX 5.0 Notchback
1988 ASC/McLaren Mustang #853

Last edited by 5LiterMustang; 12-01-2005 at 10:23 AM.
post #18 of 22 Old 12-01-2005, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

If that's the case with the stock dampners, then i will buy the Bilstein kit and wait until next year to install them when i have enough money for new struts.. they arn't cheap!

1988 Coupe 5spd

post #19 of 22 Old 12-01-2005, 03:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Don't do that. You may decide to go in a different direction next year and regret spending the $$$ on parts you're not going to use. Just sock the money away so you don't spend it in the meantime.
post #20 of 22 Old 12-02-2005, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann
Don't do that. You may decide to go in a different direction next year and regret spending the $$$ on parts you're not going to use. Just sock the money away so you don't spend it in the meantime.
I'm spending my parents xmas money, so i have to find something soon, lol!

I know i'll be happy with the MM kit, and i want to go to coilovers sooner or later. I don't see which direction i'd want to go that doesn't involve coiloves?

1988 Coupe 5spd

post #21 of 22 Old 12-02-2005, 02:31 AM

Panhard bar?

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP

post #22 of 22 Old 12-02-2005, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

A guy local in Ottawa is custom fabbing me a torque arm and panhard bar. He's done them before, they are quality. Can't beat the price either!

1988 Coupe 5spd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement