Griggs A-arm Bushings - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-22-2005, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Griggs A-arm Bushings

I have a 94 GT with the Griggs suspension and the front bushings need replaced. Does anyone have experience doing this? Is there a procedure that you have seen anywhere? Is there much pressure on the arm, I have the coilovers. Are the bushings pressed in or will they just slide in? Winter project any advice is appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-22-2005, 11:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
The bushings just slide in and out with some pressure (by hand).
The arms shouldn't be under any load if the suspension is in full droop (and you have coilovers). You might have to loosen and lower the steering rack to get the front bolts out of the control arms/k-member. The job is pretty easy and shouldn't take very long.
What makes you thing the bushings are bad?

post #3 of 8 Old 11-22-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

92coupe-That sounds good, I just got the car not to long ago and am not familiar with the coilover setup. I was not sure about the amount of pressure on the arm. The rear bar of the arm can be shaken up and down so I figured the bushing was bad? You think not? Do they do that? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
What is the bushing material?
Delrin (white plastic looking material) or poly?

The arm should have no free play except in the natural swing of the control arm arc. It sounds like your bushings are toast.
I would recomend getting the Delrin ones if you're replacing them all. It is more expensive, but in the long run it pays for itself, they last longer and have no delection or squeaking like poly bushings do.

I would also carefully look over all the welds on the mounting locations (tabs) and welds on the control arms for cracks or any sign of failure. (Since you will have it all apart anyways).

Last edited by 92coupe; 11-22-2005 at 05:08 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-22-2005, 05:27 PM

If you are interested, I'll sell you the Delrin bushings from my old arms. Actually, you can have one good arm with Delrin bushings and one that was fouled up when I hit a wall but the bushings are ok. Car was a 98. $125 plus shipping.

Definitely check the arms for cracks. My standard duty Griggs arms cracked and were welded back up.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-22-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

They have the urethane bushings now and they have according to the original owner 30000 mi. or soon them. I do have the urethane ones to replace them with, since the car will only see 4 or 5 opentrack events a year and no street time. I know the Delrin would be much better, but for me I think that would be over kill, since I'm not a very aggressive driver anyway. Ya, I've been told to check the welds very closely, since there have been some problems reported in those areas. Thanks alot for your help!!
post #7 of 8 Old 11-22-2005, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

tnturbo- Thanks for the offer, sounds like a good offer. I do have the replacements. Sorry to hear about your accident! Hope your back out there running! I'll still think about those, maybe for spares.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-22-2005, 10:07 PM

No problem, they don't eat anything and have been sitting on my shelf for 3-4 years now. I'm running the severe duty arms on my current car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement