5-link or 5-link II? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-17-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
5-link or 5-link II?

I have a few questions concerning the 5 link systems from steeda. First off: If I get the original 5-link i know i have to either run dumps for the exhaust or a side kit, but what about the subframe connectors? Can I run full lengths? I was told you can't on the 5-link II system. Second one for the original system is I read from Mustang Racing Technologies that you have to use the stock front swaybar with the 5-link, is this true? I know the original 5-link is set up for more hard core racing than a street setup, but I don't realy care. I do drive my car on the street but a hrash ride doesn't affect me (it does my fiance though). Anyway, is there even a realy big difference between the two systems beside exhaust routes? If not, then would the 5-link II be the way to go? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I realize also I would have to change out the springs too as the sport springs just won't cut it for the 5 link systems. And before I forget, does it matter which type of lower control arms I use with it? I've tried to e-mail someone from steeda but haven't gotten a response yet. I was hoping one of you guys could help me out. I've been a big fan of steeda for some tme now, and my brother runs a maximum motorsports setup on his 98 GT. I love whoopin' up on him. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-17-2005, 08:13 PM

Have you ever heard of an enter key? Geez, that crap is a pain to read not to mention disorganized.

Subframe connectors. As far as I know, you can run whatever subframe connectors you choose with either system. Just be known that it affects your exhaust choices, especially with a the original 5-link. Side-exhaust with subframes are going to have to hang really low and probably hit.

Swaybars. As far as I'm concerned, they're just a tuning device. Run whatever sway bar feels good to you. But remember going too big in the front is going to make the car understeer more. Especially with the new found grip in the rear. Personally, I run a 15/16" sway bar up-front and none in the rear, but my springs are really stiff to compensate for it.

LCAs. Again, run what you want. I'd suggest a design with poly bushing in the front and a spherical bearing in the rear. That way the rear end can still rotate freely, but the poly would help with with NVH. If you went with the 5-LinkII and ran rear coilovers, I would suggest Maximum Motorsports, road race LCAs with the rod-ends on both side-- mostly to save more weight.

5Link vs 5LinkII. On the 5LinkII, the big differences are the fact that the Upper Arms are moved inward towards the center diff and the Panhard bar is shorter. That would allow the rear end to move side to side a little more during roll, but not a great amount. The 5LinkII also allows room for coil-overs and easier access to the differential. Choosing between them comes more from use of the car. If it's just a street car and you want to show up your brother, I'd say 5LinkII (Or better yet, don't even bother upgrading, you'll never notice the difference on the street). More track oriented, I'd use the original. That's just my opinion though.

-Anthony

post #3 of 15 Old 11-17-2005, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and I am so sorry I annoyed you with not using the enter button
here
does
this
work
better
for
you
?
And besides, the car is not just a street car with a few simple suspension bolt ons with the sole purpose of beating my brother. It has been at Sebring, Moroso and Homestead, and I am extremely competitive in autocrossing, tearing up those retarded evos and sti's. And actually I'm pissed they took them out fo ESP, because I love beating $30,000 cars with my $20,000 mustang. But thanks for the help anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-17-2005, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCARACERGT
here
does
this
work
better
for
you
?
Hmm. No, not really.

Well, since you actually use your car. I'd suggest the original 5-link, unless you'd rather use rear coil-overs or have real exhaust, not just dumps. I've heard that you can build custom exhaust pipes around the panhard of the original 5-link, but it limits the upper range of adjustability of the panhard bar. Actually, come to think of it-- that came from one of the tech's from Steeda who ran a 5-link. I think he went by 'tech-guy' or 'techguy' on here.

Since you autocross, one thing to think about is car classification. I don't know if using a 5-link would move you out of ESP or not. I don't autocross, so I don't know the rules.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-18-2005, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it would move me out of ESP in autoX. I think the rules say that you're not allowed to change the lower control arms out, but I am allowed to add a panhard bar, but no torque arm (last I read). Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to go with the original 5-link, run a regular length subframe connector and try to run a custom side exhaust.

Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated. I'm installing cobra brakes on my car this weekend, along with brake cooling ducts, but then I'm going to tackle all the extra parts for the 5-link like the lower control arms. I think I'm going to go with Steeda weight jackers with the 3-piece bushings. Their catalogue suggests those with the 5 link. Then I'll deal with the front and rear springs.

Once again, thanks for the help.Later.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-18-2005, 10:22 AM

Well, good luck with your modifications. I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

One thing, I pretty sure that the regular length subframes still go back the same distance in the rear as full-lengths. The difference is in the length in the front. So they would still cause some interference problems. If you've got the time/will, you may want to consider thru the floor connectors, it would give you the most room for the exhaust.

One other thing, since you're planning on using weight jackers. You may want to go with these, http://www.maximummotorsports.com/mmspringadapt.asp . They'd allow you to change spring rate a little easier. Take that one as a word of been there done that, originally I had standard-style springs on there and now I'm planning to switch over this winter.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-18-2005, 10:54 AM

Any subframe connectors on a Fox or any on an SN95, except the Ford TSB ones, are illegal in SCCA ESP. (Search).

Either 5-link (or a torque arm) is legal in ESP provided you use stock lower arms. Poly in one end isn't a bad idea. That was a good enough setup for Dave S. to win ESP at Nationals a couple of years ago. (Search).

Did I mention to search?

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #8 of 15 Old 11-24-2005, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfloz
(Search).

Did I mention to search?
Bob, you used the "s" word.

Your punishment?

1995 Rio Red Cobra
Homemade 5-Link and other stuff
post #9 of 15 Old 11-28-2005, 04:16 PM

I ran a 5-link II last year. The front sway bar is larger and the rear stock. The springs are not the sports run around 850's front and 350's rear. The exhaust still would not fit tail pipes, so I ran turn downs. The shock setting were Tokico's 5 ways 5 firm front and 3 firm rear. I ran steeda's lower control arms with all there suspension items. The car handles great (1993 Cobra).

2004 MACH 1
2003 GT Vert (Steeda)
1993 Cobra (heads cam 5 link ect)
post #10 of 15 Old 11-28-2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANGCOBRA1353
The exhaust still would not fit tail pipes, so I ran turn downs.
Hmm. Interesting to know. Since I've only used the original, I only went with what I've read about the 5Link2 being able to fit tailpipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANGCOBRA1353
The front sway bar is larger and the rear stock.
I won't get too much into this, but I'm honestly surprised that works for you. I've felt the difference of a stiffer front swaybar on my car, the car went from neutral to wicked understeer. (Well, actually-- it was the same swaybar- just a change from dry-rotted rubber bushings to poly, making the swaybar act like it was bigger than previous.) I'm going to guess this is just a case of different people/different cars.

Oh, since I never did say, my suspension setup is
Front: 450 coilovers, 15/16" sway bar, stock K, KYB struts(for now, I'm planning on Koni DAs later).
Rear: H&R 390-430 springs, WeightJacker LCAs, No rear sway bar, original 5-Link, Panhard bar at 8.5" from ground. (Until the front swaybar bushing change, now it's at 9.5")

Over the winter I'm changing the rear springs to 450's, just to compensate for the lack of a rear sway bar (The rear-sway bar doesn't fit properly with the LCAs) and so I can get the rear roll center back down-- the car felt better with the panhard at 8.5".

post #11 of 15 Old 11-28-2005, 10:39 PM

Ya my panhard bar is 9.5 from the ground. I also autocross so setup might be a little different. I was able to run 275's and beat a 12" slick car and the DC region once and on the last event he got a re-run to beat me at the last event (his tires still were still hot). It took me the first half of the season to get suspension settings correct. I have worked with steeda and Sam Strano to get the best setting and Steeda is more on the track setting than autocross. The T2R diff also helped with my set up. I recommend buy one lots of money but worth every penny. ($600.00)

2004 MACH 1
2003 GT Vert (Steeda)
1993 Cobra (heads cam 5 link ect)
post #12 of 15 Old 11-29-2005, 11:05 AM

before you buy steeda crap check out Maximum Motorsports and Griggs Racing. They have much better products IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-29-2005, 08:14 PM

Just curious here, but why do I not hear more noise about EVM's tri-link? It seems to be a simple, lightweight solution for the Mustang rear suspension. No bind like the 4 link alternatives (5link) or the weight and clunkiness of the TA. Slap on a PHB (and of course the appropriate springs and dampers) and you're good. I think there were some concerns about the mounting, but I wouldn't think it could be any worse than the existing UCA mounts. Is anyone out there running a trilink?

Neal
-86 coupe project sitting in my garage on a 5 lug conversion.. and the motor is in.. and it runs
-newspeak SUCKS
post #14 of 15 Old 11-30-2005, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivnalem
Just curious here, but why do I not hear more noise about EVM's tri-link? Is anyone out there running a trilink?
You might try a search over at Corner-Carvers.com. IIRC, there are several EVM 3-link users there. Tread lightly.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #15 of 15 Old 11-30-2005, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfloz
You might try a search over at Corner-Carvers.com. IIRC, there are several EVM 3-link users there. Tread lightly.
Yeah, I've kept my eye on it over there. I don't think I'll be doing any posting any time soon... . Overall, the response has been seemingly underwhelming. I think it looks like a great product.

Neal
-86 coupe project sitting in my garage on a 5 lug conversion.. and the motor is in.. and it runs
-newspeak SUCKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement