Suspension Questions..... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-16-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Suspension Questions.....

Hey guys,

New to the mustang world here and I have a few questions. I want my car to handle good, BMW like. Looking for opinions on this stuff...

Bullet springs are on the way, are the bullet sway bars a decent upgrade over the stock GT or should I look for some Cobra ones?

Anyone make a K-member brace that works with long tube headers??

Also will be getting MM full length SFC's and strut bar.

Anymore suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-16-2005, 08:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Well, first things first. Your car will never handle like a BMW (or mine either).

That said, we need a little more info on what your objectives are for improved handling. Is this a street ride only or do you autocross, open track, race, or combination. What kind of compromises are you willing to make in ride quality and NVH? How much do you want to spend?

As far as total performance systems go, most people recommend Maximum Motorsports or Griggs which are used extensively in AI and other road racing series. Other manufacturers are Steeda, Kenny Brown, Ford Racing, and some others I can't think of right now.

Al H

1997 Cobra, Born 3/19/1997, #3978/6961
#49 CP, Mix of Maximum Motorsports, Agent 47, Fays2
2011 GT, Giving in to modifications
post #3 of 11 Old 11-17-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

This is my daily driver. I do autocross occasionaly (3 times a year), and go to the drag strip. I dont want to compromise the handling for straight line performance. I basically want a very balanced car, I'm not worried about ride, I just got rid of my '00 ZQ8 equipped S10 for the GT. It never rode great, but I loved the handling. It just lacked the power.

I dont want a full out race car, just a good performing street car that can hold its own at the autox.

Thanks,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-17-2005, 07:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I feel that you expect too much from your car. So far we have BMW handling (assuming grip and quality) while having no compromises in straight line performance. First off, asking for a Mustang to handle as well as a BMW and retaining ride quality just doesnt work for the Mustang. So pretty much we have three areas of concern, ride quality, cornering/braking, and straight line/drag acceleration. You must decide what you want to do. There will be compromises just like Cobraaph said.

A car that performs well on an autocross will have compromises that the drag racer doesnt want, such as limiting weight transfer and heavy brakes. A car setup for drag racing will have compromises that an autocrosser will not want, such as loose suspension, and such. A car setup for either drag racing or autocross will generally compromise ride quality and have some increase in NVH. Compromises.

You have springs on the way, what shocks/struts do you have on the way? The stock shocks/struts are fine for stock springs. Increase spring rate and ride quality and handling will decrease. Shocks/struts are more important than springs. Personally, if you are concerned with ride quality and want good handling, you should look at a coil-over setup. This will allow you higher spring rates while decreasing weight and reducing bind (better ride quality). But just like the springs above, proper shocks/struts must be used. The MM coil-over kit would be a good start. The kit also comes with C/C plates which will be something you want too. MM can help you choose the spring rates for your desired purpose.

Chassis stiffening is a definite must for Mustangs. The MM SFC and STB will be a good start. As for the kmember brace, I didnt feel any difference when I installed a KB unit. I have bent that KB unit though, so there must be enough force down there to require bracing...

Swaybars should really be the very last thing you change. They are best used to tune/balance the car depending on driver and mods.

Now for the most important mod...YOU! If you want to improve your performance at autocross, you must improve yourself. The driver mods will make the BIGGEST difference. There are two ways to mod the driver (without replacement) and that is seat time and knowledge. For seat time, autocross some more, take some driving schools, do some track events. These will all make the biggest difference than anything you can do to your car. The best thing about this, there isnt any compromises (except a lighter wallet if you option for expensive driving schools). As for knowledge, search and read. The corral is a good place to start. There are tons of topics that have been covered that are just a search button away.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 Old 11-18-2005, 08:25 AM

Go faster at autocross without compromising ride quality or drag racing setup? Simple. Buy another set of wheels and race tires. You only run a few events a year, so used will be fine.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-18-2005, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrife1
Go faster at autocross without compromising ride quality or drag racing setup? Simple. Buy another set of wheels and race tires. You only run a few events a year, so used will be fine.
Tires do make a great difference. The only problem with this that I see is that it isn't a good idea if he wants to learn. He will learn more on street tires that will show the weaknesses than running on competition rubbers.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #7 of 11 Old 11-18-2005, 02:41 PM

If he doesn't want to compromise his drag racing setup, I doubt he is all that concerned with learning. In addition, you can still learn plenty on race tires. In my case, that small taste of success on race tires is what made me really want to learn and get better.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-18-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrife1
In my case, that small taste of success on race tires is what made me really want to learn and get better.
So when R U gonna start getting better?
OWNED!!!
post #9 of 11 Old 11-18-2005, 03:50 PM

....says the guy who is scared to box me at Kar Kare!
post #10 of 11 Old 11-18-2005, 03:50 PM

post #11 of 11 Old 11-18-2005, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

You guys misunderstood me. Or maybe I wasnt very clear

I'm more concerned with Handling. I could give a crap about the drag strip. Its fun, but I dont go that often.

I'm also not very worried about ride. My truck rode much ruffer than the Mustang does now. I can give up a good bit in the ride part, the only bad part about it would be the crappy streach of I-65 on my way to work. But I can get over that. I picked the bullitt springs b/c they only lower 3/4". I dont want to go much lower with the LT's, I'm worried about messing them up.

I know I need to improve myself as well. I just want to know what the best products are so I can plan my steps and start saving the $$. The springs were not very high on my list, but I found a good deal I think.

Will the stock shocks/struts be ok with the bullitt springs for now? My car only has 25k miles on it now. What are good ones to go with? I had bilstiens on my truck and they were good, even after 100k.

I'm also not going to worry with sway bars for now. I found a set of the bullitts for $70 for the pair. I measured mine today and they are the same size. Is that right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement