Why 96+ spindels? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Why 96+ spindels?

I'm replacing the k-member and fromt suspension. I was reading MM website and they recomend 96 and up spindels for all aplicationsbecause the "bumpsteer" is better. Ok, no problem I'll get some.

Question, will all my stock 89 parts bolt to it; strut, lower control arms, dust sheield? Can I use the same wheel bearings?

Anything I'm not asking that I should be?

I'm installing a PA racing K-member, HR springs and Bilstein Struts.

Thanks!!!

-Mike

89 Notchback: Under the knife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A4 349 Stroker, Eagle 5.315" rods, Ross Custom pistons, Novi 2000, Victor 5.0, AFR 205, 60's, Aeromotive sumped tank & A-1000 fuel system, Probe SMR, Custom Cam, PA K-member, Mac Long tubes and cat back, Turbo Coupe rear disks out back Lincoln brakes up front. MegaSquirtin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-15-2005, 10:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I would ask PA racing. MM's site recommends 96 and later spindles for the specific geometry in their k member. If the PA K member has stock geometry, you should keep your stock spindles, or use 94-95 spindles.
Stock 89 wheel bearings will not work with 96 spindles.

Cream may rise to the top, but sometimes sh&t floats too.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-15-2005, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoracer
I would ask PA racing. MM's site recommends 96 and later spindles for the specific geometry in their k member. If the PA K member has stock geometry, you should keep your stock spindles, or use 94-95 spindles.
Stock 89 wheel bearings will not work with 96 spindles.
Yes its stock geometry. So I'll be sticking with the 94-95 stuff. Whats the advantage od the 94-95 studd over the stock 89 spindels? Do the 94-95's use the same wheel bearings?

-Mike

A4 349 Stroker, Eagle 5.315" rods, Ross Custom pistons, Novi 2000, Victor 5.0, AFR 205, 60's, Aeromotive sumped tank & A-1000 fuel system, Probe SMR, Custom Cam, PA K-member, Mac Long tubes and cat back, Turbo Coupe rear disks out back Lincoln brakes up front. MegaSquirtin'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-15-2005, 11:44 PM

no they use cartridge hubs and the brake rotor slips off the hub. also MUCH easierto upgrade brakes due to bolt on caliper brackets.

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv169/ProjectRudeAwakening/IMAG0005-1.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv169/ProjectRudeAwakening/CIMG1550-1.jpg
post #5 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(PnyPwr)
no they use cartridge hubs and the brake rotor slips off the hub. also MUCH easierto upgrade brakes due to bolt on caliper brackets.
Thats what I thought.

Thanks

-Mike

post #6 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 07:24 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
The 96 spindle's have a straight steering nuckle and they have more track width.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 07:55 AM

Under what conditions do you need those .330" balljoint spacers?
post #8 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 08:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Fox BJ and SN95 arm. If you get SN95 BJ's problem is gone.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 12:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
You'll need a LOT of shiney new parts, get the list together before you start!

I went with the 1996+ spindles:

Here are my 1995's that I originally intended to put on, until I read more... now I spread the word to others.

Darius Rudis

1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #10 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

So in your expert opinion, should I go with 94-95 spindels or jsu the 89? Kmember is out of the car right now.

Give me some pros and cons.

-Mike

post #11 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 01:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
You _may_ install whatever you wish, its a matter of money...
Stick with 1989 stuff and small brakes.
Or get new spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers... throw in a bumpsteer kit for good measure... Not to mention the new wheels/tires you'll need for the 5-lug...

Darius Rudis

1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #12 of 15 Old 11-16-2005, 11:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcantDo55
Yes its stock geometry. So I'll be sticking with the 94-95 stuff. Whats the advantage od the 94-95 studd over the stock 89 spindels? Do the 94-95's use the same wheel bearings?
What is you goal for the car, drag racing or handling? Since you're replacing the K-member with one that has stock geometry I'm struggling with why? That sounds like the drag race approach for removing weight only. To put in an aftermarket K-member with stock geometry seems like limited benefit to the guy interested in handling, and then to add SN95 spindles for the sake of bumpsteer, again I'd have to ask what you're up too?

Bumpsteer improvements with SN95 spindles are beneficial to the guy with a significantly lower ride height and/or road racing type k-member, and yes there are other geometry improvements with the spindle as well. Usually what is associated with the SN95 spindle is brake options that open up and five lug conversion.

To answer you question....yes you can put SN95 spindles (94-95 or 96+) with your Fox control arms, ball joints, and struts. You will need 94+ brake calipers, brackets, wheel bearing/hub, rotors, and 5 lug wheels.

Toys - gota have'm.....

Mike Schneider

1982 Mustang GT - 408w and other super zoomy stuff...
Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-01-2005, 04:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Is there any particular disadvantage of running 96+ spindles with a stock ride height and steering geometry? I don't plan on swapping K-members but I am heavily considering doing the SN95 brake swap to get around the wheel limitations, brake selection and lack of replacement lower control arms on the SVO.

1986 1D SVO - SOLD
2007 Mazda3 Hatchback 2.3L beater
1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L Sport
SVOCA #528
post #14 of 15 Old 12-01-2005, 09:19 PM

Look closely at Drudis' picture of the 96 knuckle in the car.
See how far down he has lowered the tie rod end away from the steering arm? Now picture the upswept steering arm of the 94/95 spindle, An even bigger spacer/stack o washers would be required to correct bump steer, (Toe in/out change) as the wheel moves up and down relative to the steering rack.
The basic idea is to have the A arm and the tie rod close to parallel to each other at the center of the wheel travel range. this keeps the arc of movement as close as possible to being the same, and minimize toe change. The bump steer kit on Darius' car allows for close adjustments in the arc that the tierod moves in for a given ride height.
So,,, If you are running a stock k member with close to stock ride height(maybe an inch or so drop) use the 95/95 spindles.
MM's k member's a arm piviot pionts are 1 inch higher (lower holes) and even higher on the upper holes, so the 96 spindles are required to help correct the bumpsteer issue. If you are using stock tie rod ends it's even more critical to use the later knuckles, because you have no bump steer tuning ability other than offset rack bushings and that aint near nough!

Micha
Solo Director, Utah Region SCCA
87 LX coupe, C Prepared
Evolution Drivers School, Phase 1&2 and Challenge School I suck less now!

Last edited by Micha; 12-01-2005 at 09:33 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-02-2005, 08:36 PM

I have the mm k member and used 95 spindles on my fox. I just used more spacers on the bumpsteer kit. It probably would have been better to use the 96 spindles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement