SCCA Classing - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 11-14-2005, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
SCCA Classing

Need some help classing my car. Here are the specs.

2000 Mustang GT
01 Cobra IRS
Aftermarket Catback
03 Cobra springs, cut
03 Cobra Bilsteins
03 Cobra brakes
17"x9" wheels

That's all, nothing wild. The SCCA text is a little confusing, and I am somewhat of a noob. I have been running in CP in my 89 coupe for about a year now. Not sure if it really fits there, but that's where the local guys placed me. I will enter the 2000 for the first time, and I want to be sure that I am in the correct class to know how I compare.

Thanks in advance!

2000 GT Current Auto-X mule/Daily Driver

Quote: "5.0Torx"

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

Pick 2...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 11-14-2005, 01:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
ESP

post #3 of 49 Old 11-14-2005, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Great! Thanks!

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

Pick 2...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 11-14-2005, 02:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Is there a website that can tell us what classes the car will be in with certain mods?

2004 Mystichrome #117 Cobra Convertible #366, bone stock with 3,100 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 BMW DINAN 550i Sport S Package - the beater car
post #5 of 49 Old 11-14-2005, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

The rules book can be downloaded here :

http://www.scca.com/Solo/Index.asp?IdS=039EE3-E6FAFF0&x=050|070&~=

It can be a cumbersome read.

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

Pick 2...
post #6 of 49 Old 11-14-2005, 03:42 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
post #7 of 49 Old 11-14-2005, 03:45 PM

It looks like my car is in the SM class.

Am I correct?

Thanks,
Henry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 49 Old 11-14-2005, 05:32 PM

sm2, forced induction over 3.0 liters
post #9 of 49 Old 11-14-2005, 06:16 PM

Thanks.

Henry

post #10 of 49 Old 11-14-2005, 07:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
You really, really don't want to be in SM2 in a Mustang. Even in regional events SM2 is a very fast class. Think souped up Z06 Vettes and 450+ HP AWD Audis and supercharged Miatas and MR2's.

post #11 of 49 Old 11-14-2005, 10:25 PM

I hope that there's a beginner's or a novice class that I can jump into. When I went to FedEx field last year, I saw the SM2 class and there were Z06's etc in there.

If there isn't a beginner's class, I guess I'll have no choice but to go right into SM2 because of the car I'm driving.

Would the MM Road and Track Box bump me out of SM2 and into a higher class? By the summer, my plans are to finish the suspension and end up with the MM R&T box on this car. I'm going to keep the stock Cobra R springs, struts, shocks, strut tower brace, and pinion snubber and add the rest of the box to the car.

MM Road and Track Box:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/giab2.asp

Last edited by HPLouis; 11-14-2005 at 10:29 PM.
post #12 of 49 Old 11-15-2005, 08:37 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
If your car isn't competitive, all you can really do is race against yourself.
post #13 of 49 Old 11-15-2005, 11:18 AM

Henry I'm in the same boat you are in. I'll be racing myself, just for the fun of driving. It were were to pull our SC off what class would we be in?

05 Mustang GT- PH Turbo, Stage 3 heads, Built Block
2004 Nissan Titan (Car Hauler)
post #14 of 49 Old 11-15-2005, 12:04 PM

I did not see you all at the DC events 4 CP 1993 Cobra 5 links car. Do not worry about the classing get some practice events in first to get a feel for it. If you go in CP in strret tires nobody will say anything until you start to place, but you will get to know people and classing for cars. Look me up I will be FS in a Red MACH 1 next year and also run the www.AUTOCROSSERSINC.org witch run a Ripken in aberden MD.

2004 MACH 1
2003 GT Vert (Steeda)
1993 Cobra (heads cam 5 link ect)
post #15 of 49 Old 11-15-2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANGCOBRA1353
I did not see you all at the DC events 4 CP 1993 Cobra 5 links car. Do not worry about the classing get some practice events in first to get a feel for it. If you go in CP in strret tires nobody will say anything until you start to place, but you will get to know people and classing for cars. Look me up I will be FS in a Red MACH 1 next year and also run the www.AUTOCROSSERSINC.org witch run a Ripken in aberden MD.
Everytime I drive by Ripken's place there seems like there is somthing going on up there. I need to check them out one weekend.

post #16 of 49 Old 11-16-2005, 07:54 AM

Are you not supposed to use street tires in CP?
post #17 of 49 Old 11-16-2005, 09:06 AM

Quote:
If you go in CP in street tires nobody will say anything until you start to place

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #18 of 49 Old 11-16-2005, 10:59 AM

I I can go in any class I want till I start to place?

post #19 of 49 Old 11-16-2005, 07:32 PM

As I understand it, you can use any DOT tire in any size that fits on the car in street prepared, prepared and mod. However, until next year, you cannot use bias ply race slicks on wheels bigger than 16". There is a max width restriction too, something like 12" wide (cp).

John
post #20 of 49 Old 11-16-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeostang
I I can go in any class I want till I start to place?

Novice or not, you should really try to be in the most appropriate class for your car. Do this for your own sake as being over or under classed will not give you an accurate perception of your skill development relative to the group.

John
post #21 of 49 Old 11-16-2005, 10:43 PM

2005 rules for prepared:

"Any tire meeting Solo II safety requirements is allowed."

The width restriction is on the wheels ... 12 inches max.
post #22 of 49 Old 11-19-2005, 06:37 AM

As far as I know the limits for Street modified are

6 liters naturally aspirated and 4 liters forced induction.

Sm2 is for smaller , lighter two seat sports cars.
post #23 of 49 Old 11-19-2005, 10:27 AM

I think you guys are putting too much thought into it. It is nice to compete for class wins and take home trophies, t-shirts, beer mugs, jackets, whatever, but you don't need that to develop as a driver or follow your progress.

If you are running SM2 and are getting beat by the Z06 and the turbo Miata by 6 seconds at the beginning of the year and only 4 seconds at the end of the year you are making progress. If your SM2 or CP car is getting beat by an FS car, you have work to do. Gauge yourself against similar cars and watch your progress.

Our local SM2 class next season will have an RX7TT on wide CCW's, a turbo Miata, a Mustang or two, and my 100hp STS2 CRX on wide 13's --- all driven by people with a couple years experience, all on race tires. I'm sure the Mustangs will do okay and I hope to do okay myself.

I see too many people on here that get discouraged about classing and their competition. Just get out there and drive, go as fast as you can, and see what you can do. If you drive well, people will notice, even if your Yugo only took 6th in SM.
post #24 of 49 Old 11-19-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrife1
I think you guys are putting too much thought into it. It is nice to compete for class wins and take home trophies, t-shirts, beer mugs, jackets, whatever, but you don't need that to develop as a driver or follow your progress.

If you drive well, people will notice, even if your Yugo only took 6th in SM.
True enough. But, some people do want to compete. And, some of those who do compete legally get annoyed when a car with CP-type modifications shows up in F Stock. It's also nice to be able to hang out with the people in your proper class since they are likely to have similar cars and good info on how to tune and drive them.

Numerous times I have tried to warn people about seemingly simple and innocuous modifications, sfc's and rear lca's come to mind, that will put a car one, two or even three classes higher than it would otherwise belong in.

Finding out that your stock Mustang with sfc's is in Street Mod can be discouraging for some. And, it's not much fun to grind them off. Been there, done that, didn't like it. Now, in my current class, there are four of us usually within a second of each other. Three of us have been able to win our class during the past year. Good competition and, to me, great fun.

So, if people are new, the best bet is usually to drive the car for at least a few events in its current state in whatever class it falls into. Then, assuming they actually want to continue, figure out the class rules and modify and de-modify to their heart's (and wallet's) content.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #25 of 49 Old 11-19-2005, 01:52 PM

I kind of had that happen to me but I embraced my new class by going pretty much all out with the mods. I know that modified mustangs never win street mod when going against Bmw's and evo's etc.

I started with a stock V6 mustang. I went and tried autocrossing in novice and loved it. I had a ball joint that was wearing out and decided to go with steeda X2 balljoints, sport springs and a bumpsteer kit. I figured if Im going to replace the ball joints I might as well improve something.

Well after reading the rules We figured out that changing the balljoint"changed the suspension geometry" which technically would put me in SM. I know some people change out the balljoints and stay in ESP.

Since we interpretted the rules that way I decided to take full advantage the SM rules. If I was going to run i was determined to become competitive.

So I went all out. The rules allowed up to 6liters na or 4 liters forced induction, so we installed a Vortech Supercharger. Next came caster camber plates, Subframe connectors, Tokico Illuminas, adjustable rear sway bar, strut tower brace, tloc,and 4.10 gears.

The car still handled badly, pushed in every corner, and I did some really cool donuts.

Why did all that money not improve the car? Because the two things that make the biggest difference in AutoX werent fixed yet.

My Driving and Tires.

Im kind of lucky I guess In one aspect. Glenn and I auto X in the same region. And he proves that you can autoX competitively in a SN95 mustang. Riding in his GT is better than a rollercoaster and cheaper too

He pointed out that to make a car as heavy as ours compete with the smaller lighter cars, we need big sticky tires.

So I make the plunge and bought kumho race rubber all around V700 ectas

265 35/18 up front

305/30/18 rear.

Tires made a HUGE difference. Better handling, braking, traction.

My driving wasnt keeping up with my mods, I could never learn how to drive the car because everytime i went to the track, It was a different car( This whole Modification thing happened over one season of Auto crossing.)

I started spending a lot of time with the driving instructors and had them make some reccomnedations on how to set up the car(i have adjustible shocks and a rear swaybar) and more importantly ponit out my mistakes.

Just learning to enter slaloms earlier took 2 seconds off my times.

The other big problem i had was braking, The brakepads I had really wasnt cutting it. When I switched to hp+ I saw another seriuos reductions in my times as I could break later and maintain my momentum.

As the car's handling got tighter I decided its time for more power. So I recently perfomed a split port swap(+40 or so hp) Installed a meth/water injection kit, installed a 2.87 vortech pulley(more boost) . I hope to get it finished shortly and get back to the track.

I also changed out all the bushings to urethane ones.

I havent won my class at an AutoX yet..But Im ususally not last anymore and Im having a blast.

Stan
post #26 of 49 Old 11-19-2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman2kgt
Need some help classing my car. Here are the specs.

2000 Mustang GT
01 Cobra IRS
Aftermarket Catback
03 Cobra springs, cut
03 Cobra Bilsteins
03 Cobra brakes
17"x9" wheels

That's all, nothing wild. The SCCA text is a little confusing, and I am somewhat of a noob. I have been running in CP in my 89 coupe for about a year now. Not sure if it really fits there, but that's where the local guys placed me. I will enter the 2000 for the first time, and I want to be sure that I am in the correct class to know how I compare.

Thanks in advance!
Using Update and Backdate you should fit into and be most competitive in ESP.

post #27 of 49 Old 11-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Especially since I think I read the STis and EVOs are getting bumped to ASP from ESP in 2006.

'05 STi
post #28 of 49 Old 11-19-2005, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Convertible
As far as I know the limits for Street modified are

6 liters naturally aspirated and 4 liters forced induction.

Sm2 is for smaller , lighter two seat sports cars.
Nope, RollCamberCoef is correct, SM2 includes forced induction over 3.0 liters so my '96 Procharged Cobra will by in SM2 if I ever get it running right.

..and I'm slowly mimicing Glenn's suspension...well, maybe a little softer, I drive it on the street.

'05 STi

Last edited by svtruck; 11-19-2005 at 08:53 PM.
post #29 of 49 Old 11-19-2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtruck
..and I'm slowly mimicing Glenn's suspension...well, maybe a little softer, I drive it on the street.
Hey, I drive mine on the street. Not a lot, but it is street driven. The Cobra rides better, has AC and a CD player, so the daily driver choice is easy.
post #30 of 49 Old 11-19-2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
Hey, I drive mine on the street. Not a lot, but it is street driven. The Cobra rides better, has AC and a CD player, so the daily driver choice is easy.
Ha, ha...I figured you'd bust me on that!

'05 STi
post #31 of 49 Old 11-19-2005, 10:08 PM

Since my car is already in SM2, can I just keep on adding suspension parts to it or increase it's power output and not worry about classes? I wanted to make this car a drag car too.

What is the order of precedence for the classes?

Henry

post #32 of 49 Old 11-19-2005, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLouis
Since my car is already in SM2, can I just keep on adding suspension parts to it or increase it's power output and not worry about classes?
So long as you don't tie the subframes together, alter the suspension pickup points, strip out the interior or punch it out beyond 6 liters you may remain in SM2.

Last edited by Glenn; 11-19-2005 at 10:22 PM.
post #33 of 49 Old 11-20-2005, 01:16 AM

Scca officals put me in E Modified in solo 2 last week.
Still trying to figure out why i could not be in sm2?
I have no backseat. i have carpet and 2 seats with a rollcage with modded suspension and engine with supercharger. I read in the rulebook that modified cars are like not street cars at all...?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jay

95 GT 331ci, T-76 770whp/675tq [email protected]
2015 C7 Stingray 7spd manual
2012 Mustang GT [email protected] sold
http://jaysch302.hollosite.com Youtube: Steelankles
post #34 of 49 Old 11-20-2005, 09:56 AM

Probably because of your back seat delete...lame as it is.

I wonder where they'll class me once my car is finished, I'll have no back seat, the torque arm w/ cross brace and a supercharger!

'05 STi
post #35 of 49 Old 11-20-2005, 09:59 AM

SM allows an 8-point cage; rear seat delete is legal via ESP update/backdate from the Cobra R (although to be absolutely legal you need to put in covered panels where the seat was). The s/c puts you in SM2.

"Modded suspension" is a little vague. SM allows just about anything you can attach to the original mounting points except a modified k-member. As Glenn mentioned, you also cannot use other than the Ford TSB subframe connectors to mount a torque arm.

If you want to list your suspsnsion/chassis mods, maybe we can figure out the E Mod placement or give you some ammo to argue for SM2.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement