Shudder while bedding in track pads - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-13-2005, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Shudder while bedding in track pads

I just swapped out the brakes on all four corners and installed my front track rotors and Carbotech XP10s. The install went like any other, I got it buttoned up last night then took it out today to bed the pads, followed Carbotechs instructions to the T, during all of my bedding attempts the car shuddered badly. Im using Carbotech xp10s on the front and Panther+ in the rear with new NAPA rotors on all four corners. I did 6 brake applications varying from 40-60 mph down to 30 mph, stopped checked the brakes to make sure they weren't smoking. Then I did 6 brake applications from 60-0 using even pedal pressure on all attempts. Brakes were hot but not smoking, my concern is that with the cool Fall temps outside tonight I didnt get enough heat into them to bed them properly. Also in hindsight I shouldve blocked off my cooling ducts as this was probably working against me. The rear brake pad pins are all seated correctly on the piston so thats not the cause. Should I let the brakes cool overnight then try again tomorrow with the ducts blocked? Anything Im overlooking here? Suggestions are very welcome, its t-minus 4 days and counting until Hallett.
Thanks Anthony

Other than the shudder (which Im probably the cause of) Im very impressed with the stopping power of the Xp10s they hauled the car down very fast for not much pedal effort, I can see why Carbotech doesnt recommend these pads with street tires, they could easily over power the traction limit of street tires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-14-2005, 08:57 PM

Are the rotors new or used? If used, did you use the same pad compound last time? If you used a different pad, the material from that pad left on the rotor may not be compatible with the new pad material.

2005 GT Open Track Car - Steeda suspension and Stoptech's
1998 GT Open Track Car - Steeda 5-link and Brembo's
1999 Silverado - Tow Vehicle
2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe - Big, Black 19" Wheels
post #3 of 6 Old 11-15-2005, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

I have new rotors, called carbotech and they said to go back out with the car and r try again but this time block off the cooling ducts and brake from a higher rate of speed down to 30 mph 4-6 times. With the XP10s I dont think I was getting the heat into the pads thats needed to bed them. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2005, 09:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Sounds like you have warped rotors. If you can run a dial indicator on the rotors and check the runout. If it's more than 0.008" or so, pull the rotors off and make sure everything is nice and clean and that the rotors are sitting nicely. If the problem persists, get the rotors turned.

88 LX Hatchback (100K Miles), Stock Engine, B&M Shifter, SFC, ST Brace, G-Load Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Tokico Illumina Adj, MM LCA, FRPP UCA, FRPP FCA, Mac EL Headers, Dynomax Super Turbos, Mark VII front disc, TC rear disc, ROH ZR6 16x8, Fuzion ZRi 225/50R16, Corbeau Forza DS
post #5 of 6 Old 11-16-2005, 11:12 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
It's happened to me before, in fact it was just prior to a track event with Panther Plus pads and I could see discolored spots on the rotors that are the beginnings of "warped" rotors. Once I got into the brakes hard and long, the problem went away.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-16-2005, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

I dont have a dial indicator but I do have a hammer indicator. Kind of a halfassed way to see if something is warped but it worked very well. If youre not familiar with it you take a hammer with a flat head and stand it straight up next to the rotor. Place the handle as close to the rotor as possible without it actually touching, With the caliper removed tighten the lugs down to hold the rotor in place, then turn the rotor. I was able to see where the rotor was warped or where it was not turning straight. I removed the rotor then took a wire brush to the hub, repeated the steps and it was better. Removed the rotor again and turned it 180*, repeated the test and it was virtually gone. I need to do the left side tonight. Ive got a new hub, just in case its a hub on one side or the other.

MFE
I think you might be onto something, I called Carbotech and they said to take the car back out and do harder stops from a higher rate of speed to get more heat into the pads. I might not have worked them hard enough, with my first try to bed them. I hope that fixes the vibe, Hallett is two days away. Thanks Anthony

1999 Cobra Coupe
'00 Mustang GT
#28 NASA AMERICAN IRON
www.drivenasacentral.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement