need clarification on UCA's - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-10-2005, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
need clarification on UCA's

I've got an 03 mach1 that I have been doing some chassis stiffening to and I must say it makes a big diff in ride and handling.Lately I have been considering some "stock style" UCAs like MM,Steeda or FRPP and am getting conflicting info.As a back road corner carver some say change the lowers but leave the uppers alone yet some sources say the uppers locate the diff and are a good mod by themselves for a street car.What say you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-10-2005, 01:35 PM

I'd say uppers would help in dragracing apps. a little more than it would for turning because of creating more bind. I have upgraded LCA's, stock uppers with a panhard bar and couldn't be happier with the grip and predictability of the car now.

I could be incorrect on this, but I believe all 99> GT's/live axle cars have/had the FRPP heavy duty uppers.

post #3 of 5 Old 11-10-2005, 02:35 PM

As Tony said, virtually all "upgraded" upper control arms are drag race oriented. As such, they tend to increase suspension bind as the car's body rolls during turning due to the differing angles of the upper and lower arms. Not a good thing. Leave them stock.

Best plan is to go torque arm/3-link/5-link or even irs for corner-carving. The difference is amazing.

Just a thought, leave those back roads for the ricers and come out to an auto-cross or HPDE.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-10-2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfloz
Just a thought, leave those back roads for the ricers and come out to an auto-cross or HPDE.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-10-2005, 08:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Just something I noticed on my vehicle...(92 GT)

About 10 yrs ago I installed the HP Motorsport uppers and lower SR.'s. Shortly after that I installed a MM panhard rod. For years, I thought the handling was great but couldn't help but think the rear was binding in the corners by the feel of the car at times. This summer I decided to swap out both sets of control arms for stock uppers and MM lowers. The suspension doesn't plant quite as hard in a straight line and there is notably more movement with the rubber bushings. However, I do think the car is more predictable in the corners at speed and I don't have the bind feeling anymore. Overall, I think I like it better this way, even with the reduction in traction off the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement