Place to race near SE PA? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-03-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Place to race near SE PA?

I'd really like to know if there is any track, anywhere in eastern PA, New Jersey, Deleware, or Maryland area that I could take my car and learn how to really drive it, perhaps with some kind of instruction. All I can find are drag strips or NASCAR tracks (Dover, Pocono) with no information on whether they open up to people with regular cars for fun or lessons. I'd perfer a track with some nice curves but I'll settle for an oval at this point.

2002 white/tan vert GT
Densecharger CAI, Lightning 90mm MAM, Accufab 75mm TB, Saleen Series IV SC, Bassani CB Exhaust/Xpipe, 42# injectors, MM lower Control Arms, Kenny Brown Subframe connectors, NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .035, bilstein shocks/struts, Aviator pump.
Car now has a steeda front splitter and stalker side skirts to it's a b***h to get under.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-04-2005, 06:53 AM

Pocono has an infield roadcourse Just go here: http://www.opentrackaction.com/event_search3.php And plug Pocono in as the track. Hit submit and you will see the organizations that run events at Pocono and the dates. These dates are for 2005 only, but the 2006 dates will be up shortly. There are a few more organizations we will add too, but at least you get an idea. Don't worry if it says BMW club, or whatever, most clubs will accept entries from all makes. You will see every kind of car there.

post #3 of 11 Old 11-04-2005, 07:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Do you need to become a club member, though, to run with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-04-2005, 07:25 AM

With some organizations, yes. Some have insurance regs that only cover club members. Others don't require you to join. They count on non-members to attend to pay for the track rental expenses and hopefully make a little money for the club. Most can't fill up a track day with only their own members.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-06-2005, 05:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
The Bayshore Corvair Club which hosts an annual event at Pocono does not require you to be a club memeber to run, but there is no formal instruction other than having a veteran driver ride with you.

Didn't go this year, but the previous two years, I was there. I plan on going next year. Usually the 1st weekend in September--the 3 day weekend.

XBL - ReefBlue

Built on 8-18-1993 exterior-PD, interior-D6. 1 of 1,316.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-11-2005, 02:55 PM

post #7 of 11 Old 11-11-2005, 09:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Take a look at www.northeastiron.org We run with EMRA, there is a link to their site from Northeastiron. We run a time trial class and a racer class. For the time trial you just need a helmet. You pay @ $170 for the day and for that you run 2x20 and 1x30 minute track sessions with other cars in your class with passing in designated areas. Then, you get 2 timed laps, on your own and fastest in class wins. We run at all 3 Pocono road courses (north, east and south), Limerock Park, CT, Watkins Glen, NY and Summit Point. We may run Beaver Run, PA next year. For the racing series you need a lot more safety equipment, Full cage, fire extinguisher, fire suit etc. To get a time trial license you show up at an event and attend a student school. You have an instructor ride with you and so long as you are not a complete idiot you get signed off and your good to go.

Silver 92 LX NEI Time Trial car
GT40 irons, 1.6 roller rockers, Edelbrock Perf RPM intake, Holley 600 DP.
273 RWHP, 285 RWTQ
post #8 of 11 Old 11-12-2005, 08:07 PM

Summit Point is in West Virgina. It's about 3 hours from Philly.

Cream may rise to the top, but sometimes sh&t floats too.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-12-2005, 11:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
www.chasinracin.com/track-locator/index.html will let you search for road courses in your neck of the woods. Pocono www.poconoraceway.com has already been mentioned, as has Beaver Run www.beaverun.com and Summit Point www.summitpoint-raceway.com . Note that there are actually 3 tracks at Summit Point (the main Summit Point, the Shenandoah Circuit, and the Jefferson Circuit). I think that Thunderbolt Raceway www.njmotorsportspark.com is supposed to be open in 2006 - that'll probably be even closer to you than Summit Point, and looks like it should be a really nice facility. Although it's quite a haul for you, I'll also throw out VIR www.virclub.com , which is well worth the drive - my favorite track, and an awesome facility overall.

As already mentioned, there are a number of clubs in the East that run events, and most aren't picky about what kind of car you drive. For example, while I was living in CT I attended 4 Audi Club events (2 at VIR and 2 at Summit) - I've never owned an Audi in my life. Their events are reasonably priced, very well run, and have excellent instruction. Check out the Potomac/Chesapeake Region at http://audiclubna.org/chapters/potomac/ . No offense to Britboy, but I would shy away from EMRA for my first couple events. From what I've seen they're more a time trialing organization, so instruction is pretty limited. Get some track time under your belt before you venture out with a club like that.

Keep an eye on http://www.trackschedule.com/sched.html , the 2006 events should begin to appear in the not-too-distant future. As you can see that calendar covers pretty much the entire eastern half of the country, so a lot of events won't apply to you, but it'll give you someplace to look.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #10 of 11 Old 11-14-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

So is there anywhere that I can get by before I install a rollbar? (driving a vert) I plan to have one on sometime next summer but until then I'd like to atleast get some track experience and have fun.

2002 white/tan vert GT
Densecharger CAI, Lightning 90mm MAM, Accufab 75mm TB, Saleen Series IV SC, Bassani CB Exhaust/Xpipe, 42# injectors, MM lower Control Arms, Kenny Brown Subframe connectors, NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .035, bilstein shocks/struts, Aviator pump.
Car now has a steeda front splitter and stalker side skirts to it's a b***h to get under.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-14-2005, 12:33 PM

Try calling the Performance Drivers Association (web site above) and see if they are prepared to accommodate you. The general rule is that most clubs will not, and at some tracks it is not permitted anyway, but in some cases for complete novices exceptions may be made... It would be a good place to start - they run at all the main local tracks (Pocono, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen and Summit Point) for a reasonable price, and they are definitely novice friendly with plenty of instruction and track time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement