Benefits of a wider rear track, and why did Ford use it in the m2300k? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-02-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Benefits of a wider rear track, and why did Ford use it in the m2300k?

This is just a general question about why Ford would use a longer axle in the M-2300-K conversion for '79-'93 Foxes. I'm sure it came down to a price issue, with the newer cars using the longer axles, but it would seem just as cost effective if they would have offered a Fox length axle and the correct caliper bracket and cut the whole m179 Cobra wheel idea. Are there any real benefits to it?

I know it helps handling, but let's say, hypothetically, you are using a Fox axle and a 24mm offset 17" x 9" rim. Let's say the track width including rim is 80". These are just rough figures. Now we add the SN95 axles. We are going to use a different rim that will have the correct offset to get us the same track width including the rim, 80" that the previous set up ran.

Is there any benefit in this case for running a longer axle?

www.ironhorseautosport.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-02-2005, 07:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
It's just simple economics. Why waste time (= money) designing a new caliper bracket when they already had the SN95 ones handy? The M179 wheel was simple - if you look at it and the R58 side-by-side, they're exactly the same, the only difference is how thick the center is where it mounts to the car - no real design work to be done there.

The SN95s had a wider rear track primarily because of the ABS - they needed room to fit the exciter rings on the axles. The wider track doesn't do anything for handling - just makes the car more likely to understeer, which it certainly does with aplomb without a wider rear track.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...

Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 11-02-2005 at 07:23 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-02-2005, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I figured it came down to a money issue. I thought I remember reading somewhere that the widened rear track help with handling? I guess not. I am currently running a stock rear track, but was wondering if when I switch wheels, it would be any benefit to switch to the wider SN95 axles. I think I'll just keep what I have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-03-2005, 09:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
It's really not as simple as saying "increasing the rear tack improves handling". If you increase the track at only on one end of the vehicle (or change them both, but different amounts) you are changing the balance of the car. Mustangs tend to push a bit, so reducing rear track width in relation to the fron track width would be a better way to equalize the balance. Racers used to do this by staggering wheel offsets.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-03-2005, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Okay, it's starting to make sense. So actually using the SN95 axles is not really recommended as far as ultimate handling?

post #6 of 6 Old 11-05-2005, 12:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Well, as you pointed out, in order to use the SN95 axles with "real" rubber, you have to run different wheels to tuck the rubber in or you'll tear your fenders off. So the SN95-length axles I have push things out 3/4" on each side, but the M179 wheels bring that back in nearly 1/2", so the difference is really only 1/4" per side. You can tune around that, I think, and I wanted to be able to add ABS (in progress now) so it's worth it to me.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement