Those who have upgraded to cobra spec rear brakes: - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-27-2005, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Those who have upgraded to cobra spec rear brakes:

If you used GT caliper brackets, did you have to grind them for rotor clearance? something is gouging the back of one of my rotors, and I think its the caliper bracket (the bracket that bolts to the axle endplate)

Its related to the dragging problem I'm having that I posted in 94/95 tech.

Chris Wynne - NASA AZ Region Racing Nut
rolex24pics.com -Photographer

2011 GT: Yellow Tri-Blaze, 6MT, 3.73's, all the options sans a glass roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-27-2005, 05:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Are you using the GT rear calipers too or just the caliper brackets?
I was thinking of doing a Cobra brake swap over winter, but it doesn't seem like the rears are worth it since the caliper is almost exatly the same as the GT. Now, if it is possible to just swap in the Cobra rear rotor, and somehow use the stock GT rear caliper, I just may do that.

Modifications worth noting:
Cobra brakes, BBK headers, H&Rs, Bilstiens
post #3 of 7 Old 10-27-2005, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot_94GT
Are you using the GT rear calipers too or just the caliper brackets?
I was thinking of doing a Cobra brake swap over winter, but it doesn't seem like the rears are worth it since the caliper is almost exatly the same as the GT. Now, if it is possible to just swap in the Cobra rear rotor, and somehow use the stock GT rear caliper, I just may do that.
GT/V6 and Cobra rear brakes use the same Varga calipers. The benefit of the Cobra brakes is larger rotor (increased braking force by leverage) and the vented rotors. To use the Cobra brakes on GTs and V6s the axle bracket (one that bolts to the axle) and the anti-moan bracket must be swapped to the Cobra stuff. The caliper brackets (the ones the calipers actually bolt to, this bracket bolts to the axle bracket) are different between the GT/V6 and the Cobra. There are some visual and structural differences but the GT/V6 caliper brackets can be used with the Cobra brakes. Some people do need to clearance them a little for the rotor but they will position the caliper in the correct location. There was a thread with nice pics, but I can't find it.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-27-2005, 07:49 PM

Tim
Do you know offhand if the older Turbocoupe Varga rear calipers will work with the Cobra brackets? I have all the parts for the rear cobra conversion except the calipers, and I'm cheap. Already running the TC stuff with Ranger axles and redrilled rotors.
Thanks

Micha
Solo Director, Utah Region SCCA
87 LX coupe, C Prepared
Evolution Drivers School, Phase 1&2 and Challenge School I suck less now!
post #5 of 7 Old 10-27-2005, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha
Tim
Do you know offhand if the older Turbocoupe Varga rear calipers will work with the Cobra brackets? I have all the parts for the rear cobra conversion except the calipers, and I'm cheap. Already running the TC stuff with Ranger axles and redrilled rotors.
Thanks
I believe so, I'll be able to confirm that later tonight, being that I have the TC caliper brackets, and my old GT ones.

I'm buying an angle grinder tonight to clearance the caliper bracket, and I will get the rotor turned. I'll also be grinding away at the quadhock brackets that were interfering with the abs sensors and antimoan brackets.

Chris Wynne - NASA AZ Region Racing Nut
rolex24pics.com -Photographer

2011 GT: Yellow Tri-Blaze, 6MT, 3.73's, all the options sans a glass roof.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-27-2005, 10:48 PM

I dont know about the TC calipers.

As for the brackets needing grinding, it just happens that I am in that process for my brother's '95GT. We are swapping out his rear GT brakes for the Cobra setup. We have to grind both caliper brackets to make them fit. The passenger's side needed the side of the bracket that is against the inside of the rotor ground and the driver's side needed the side that was against the outside of the rotor ground. I will take pics when we are done with the grinding.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 10-28-2005, 12:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
We've been through this several times so a search would probably yeild some info. I had to cut about .060" off the inside of the outer legs on both of my GT caliper brackets. I did it with a cutoff wheel mounted on a 4 1/2" grinder. They seem to work fine but after I autocross they always look like the outer pads are not contacting the outside of the disc all the way across the face. After normal street driving for a few days the disc returns to looking shiney all the way across again. Don't have a clue why this is but whenever I get a spare couple of hundred I plan to go ahead and buy the rear cobra calipers. In hindsight I couldn't feel any performance difference after changing the rears like I did when I changed the fronts. I could really feel an improvement after going to the 13" front brakes. If there was any change after doing the rears it didn't seem to stop as well but not to a point I am sure. It was about time to redo the traction lock anyways on mine so I didn't mind tearing it down for the brakes. Seems about every 20k it's time to replace the outer TL disc with a good used one and reshim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement