Bumpsteer kit users, how do you deal with the spindle? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-24-2005, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Bumpsteer kit users, how do you deal with the spindle?

I had this thread in 94/95, but it wasn't really going anywhere:

The bumpsteer kit I have uses a 5/8" bolt without taper. after talking to a machine shop, they said all they could do was use a drill and drill through it to 5/8". A few members on here said it had to be reamed, but the machinist felt there was no way.

he felt that even a good corded drill and a sharp 5/8" bit (which i have) could do it. I just need more opinions before I screw anything up.

Chris Wynne - NASA AZ Region Racing Nut
rolex24pics.com -Photographer

2011 GT: Yellow Tri-Blaze, 6MT, 3.73's, all the options sans a glass roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-25-2005, 01:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Chris,

Reaming to the exact size would be better if you were using a precision bolt, which you probably aren't. No matter what you do, you aren't going to end up with a zero clearance fit between the shank of the bolt and the ID of the steering arm hole. If you really want to get the hole the exact size, get a drill bit that is 0.010" under 5/8" a drill the arm with it. Then ream the hole with a 5/8" reamer.

My advice is to find someone with a variable speed drill press that can turn very low rpm. Clamp the spindle to the table and drill very slowly with very light pressure. Make sure to put a chamfer on the ID of the hole afterwards so that the bolt head will seat against the steering arm properly.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Last edited by Jack Hidley; 10-25-2005 at 11:43 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-25-2005, 09:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hidley
Chris,
My advice is to find someone with a variable speed drill press that can turn very low rpm. Clamp the spindle to the table and drill very slowly with very light pressure. Make sure to put a chamfer on the ID of the afterwards so that the bolt head will seat against the steering arm properly.
These two comments cannot be stressed enough. This is not a job for a hand drill but a machinist with a drill press should be able to do this for $10 a pop. It's a very simple job.

particularly non-stock 99 Cobra w/brand C motor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-26-2005, 12:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
this procedure really needs a drill press. be careful to set the spindle up square in an appropriate vise so that your hole is accurate. ...good luck!

'86 Mustang coupe (under construction)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement