rear lower control arm choices - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
rear lower control arm choices

which do yall recomend? the gms which i have read dont work that well, the maximum motorsport, or the evolution? I am leaning towards the evolution because of the price. also, 3 peice or spherical bushings?

96gt pi motor,C&l intake,hooker lts, dr gas x,dynomax ultraflow ss, msd packs, csprings,70mm tb, udps, x cal 2 tune, 100 shot, agx shocks, pbr brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

any thoughts

96gt pi motor,C&l intake,hooker lts, dr gas x,dynomax ultraflow ss, msd packs, csprings,70mm tb, udps, x cal 2 tune, 100 shot, agx shocks, pbr brakes
post #3 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 06:39 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Plenty, unfortunately most of them are focusing around search features, attention-defecit disrorder, anger management, and the state of public education these days.

Last edited by MFE; 02-07-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 06:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I had the MM height adjustable rear lower control arms until I moved to ESP where they are not legal. Very sturdy, height adjuster is very handy, and they seemed to reduce bind. Very well built. I'd have them again if I could.

Haven't seen the EVM pieces, but they have a good reputation for their Watts and 3-link.

Edit to add - MFE does have a point. Consider the above a freebie and read the site rules. Be thankful you're not on that "other" site.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA

Last edited by rfloz; 10-24-2005 at 06:47 PM.
post #5 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

unfortunately, the search option on this site sucks. thanks for the info roflz, and nobody seems to know any thing about the evolution arms. I have looked at thier site and they are all about suspension so it seems that they should make good products.?

post #6 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 06:50 PM

I say Maximum Motorsports......they are the best......all others suck, and the ride quality of the MM's are 1000 times better than any other on the market.

I DARE SOMEONE TO PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!

(((I'm just joking by the way......like MFE said, search is your friend.)))
post #7 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

oh yeah read my first post the gms which i have read dont work that well that is really at the info i can find on here i guess ill just get something else instead like gears or headers i dont want to spend like 400 bucks on control arms right now.

post #8 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 06:54 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

The only thing that sucks about the search feature is its character minimum. For instance, "LCA" won't get you anywhere. But, judicious use of forum filters, wildcards like *, OR, AND, and any of a variety of words like...

LCA*
Control
Arms
Evolution
Maximum
Motorsports
Griggs
Steeda
Granatelli
UPR*
spherical
3-piece
urethane
etc etc etc.

Come on, people.
post #9 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

i used "rear lower control arms"

post #10 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Come on, people.

post #11 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

gee thanks guys i dont feel really cool right now didnt really feel like searching i just got the blow off by some girl thanks again.... i hope yall feel better

post #12 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riph22a
gee thanks guys i dont feel really cool right now didnt really feel like searching i just got the blow off by some girl thanks again.... i hope yall feel better
Ask her what LCA's you shoud get, if she can't tell you, then it wasn't meant to be.
post #13 of 32 Old 10-24-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

haha thanks man. That picked up my spirits a lil.....

post #14 of 32 Old 10-27-2005, 07:59 PM

Maximum Motorsports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1989 LX
assorted Maximum Motorsports parts
BAER brakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OMP, Racetech, Safecraft, Amsoil, Zamp helmets,
Bell/Pyrotect, FinishLine, Crow, Autopower & Pro Challenge Race Cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 32 Old 10-27-2005, 08:20 PM

Wow! MFE. Not much has change since I have been away playing with Imports. Now that they are out of my system im back to playing with Mustangs again. There are many choices for rear control arms. shop around. Maximums are always up top. Well made. Steeda also makes a good Arm.as well as Pro3 and Griggs, its buyers choice.

[email protected]
11 Mustang GT
2001 Cobra (gone)
05 Mustang GT (gone)
post #16 of 32 Old 10-27-2005, 09:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
What is it your looking to accomplish or fix with arms? Looking at your signature it doesn't look like you're taking much of a systems approach to modifying your car. Maybe this isn't your case, but I see a lot of people buying parts based in how much cash they have in their wallet that day and not looking at the big picture with a goal in mind.

If open track is your goal, save the money and put it towards a torque arm / panhard bar or 5-link set up, or better yet, brakes. Arms alone aren't going to transform your car, in fact rear arms would be the last thing on my list for chassis mods. FWIW...I'm running stock Ford 82GT rear arms, which are the same as SVO and Police package, with a torque arm and panhard bar.

Toys - gota have'm.....

Mike Schneider

1982 Mustang GT - 408w and other super zoomy stuff...
Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
post #17 of 32 Old 10-27-2005, 10:21 PM

Does anyone have any MM Adj LCAs they would like to sell?

05 Mustang GT- PH Turbo, Stage 3 heads, Built Block
2004 Nissan Titan (Car Hauler)
post #18 of 32 Old 10-27-2005, 11:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
I'm using Lakewood Traction action lowers (basically just a RLCA with poly bushings and a relocator bracket on the axle that changes the mounting point). I know these are technically drag race inspired, but my dad got me them for my b-day and they drive great!

any pros or cons to using them on a road course?

Matt
'95 GTS - (no engine) | TR-6060 | 9" w/Tru-Trac | Griggs T/A | MM Panhard | Koni DAs
post #19 of 32 Old 10-28-2005, 12:19 AM

I use something like that on my 05 Mustang. They work Autocrossing. In made the control arms level after I dropped the car with coilovers. and made use in my instant center again for better forward grip.

[email protected]
11 Mustang GT
2001 Cobra (gone)
05 Mustang GT (gone)
post #20 of 32 Old 10-28-2005, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikewiz
I'm using Lakewood Traction action lowers (basically just a RLCA with poly bushings and a relocator bracket on the axle that changes the mounting point). I know these are technically drag race inspired, but my dad got me them for my b-day and they drive great!

any pros or cons to using them on a road course?
Do a search, LCA's with poly on both ends create bind. This leads to a loss of traction while cornering and can make for some dangerous oversteer. Great for drag racing, lousy for handling.
post #21 of 32 Old 10-28-2005, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
Do a search, LCA's with poly on both ends create bind. This leads to a loss of traction while cornering and can make for some dangerous oversteer. Great for drag racing, lousy for handling.
DOH! I snapped 3 poly bushings drag racing at milan. I replaced all 4 ends with 3 piece polies... I guess I'll have to compensate w/ stickier rubba...

H/C/KB 01 Cobra
post #22 of 32 Old 10-28-2005, 08:54 AM

wow even if u keep them greased? (they have grease fittings) if i went to a spherical joint on one end, my ride quality on the street would suck would it not?

my car is a summer car that is like 98% and 2% track.

Matt
'95 GTS - (no engine) | TR-6060 | 9" w/Tru-Trac | Griggs T/A | MM Panhard | Koni DAs
post #23 of 32 Old 10-28-2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:
wow even if u keep them greased? (they have grease fittings) if i went to a spherical joint on one end, my ride quality on the street would suck would it not?
Ummm...no. I run MM arms on both my cars and they work great. The 3-piece poly is much better than solid poly but not as good as a spherical on on end and 3-piece on the other. Problem with poly is that it does not allow the arm to twist during roll, the spherical allows that. With the converging 4 link (quadra-bind) of the Mustang you need to allow the arms to twist to get decent articulation and keep the tires in contact with the road surface. Stock rubber bushings allow this because they are so soft, but this allows too much side to side motion during cornering. Solid poly also puts a lot of stress into your torque boxes. That is the creaking and popping you hear when the axle tries to twist during body roll.
post #24 of 32 Old 10-28-2005, 12:15 PM

Garage
I've been searching and trying to make up my mind on this topic also.
My SVO is used for cruising, and autocrossing, with the occasional open-track event.
My rear bushings were pretty torn up, and I'm investigating the options for when it goes back together.
I had full poly bushings in the stock control arms in an 82 Mustang, and it sucked. Ride was horrible, noisy, etc...
I'm thinking weight jacker lowers (so I can compensate for heavy loads with wife and two kids, luggage, etc.) and stock motorsport uppers. (stiffer bushings, but not as stiff as poly) Think this will be too stiff and creat too much bind?
Maybe I should get some uppers with the speherical rod ends on one end?

David
85 SVO for Haulin' A$$
2002 F-150 for Haulin' everything else
post #25 of 32 Old 10-28-2005, 06:29 PM

i would think that a spherical arm would be harsher on the street and be worse for torque boxes. when you hit a pothole doing 45mph, the poly urethane gives, the spherical joint does not.

ive got the arms installed listed in my sig and i didnt notice any worsening of the ride quality.

Matt
post #26 of 32 Old 10-28-2005, 07:06 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Quote:
i would think that a spherical arm would be harsher on the street and be worse for torque boxes.
Then you're not thinking about how it all works the right way.
post #27 of 32 Old 10-28-2005, 07:08 PM

MM LCAs made a world of difference. Ask MFE how that and the panhard bar will completely change your ride.

You are an SM car anyway, so I suppose the real question is "how much $ do you have?"

1990 Mustang GT Triple black convertible
koni yellows-FS on ebay MM cc plates-FS, $130

full length SFCs, aluminum d/s, 4.10s. 5 lug, O/R H, Flowmaster, Pro 5.0 shifter. Stock engine. 14.4 @96
Yeah, I'm retiring the old 5.0 from autocross

MM Strut brace-sold, G-load brace-sold,
MM rear LCAs - sold

Last edited by livenfine; 10-28-2005 at 07:11 PM.
post #28 of 32 Old 10-28-2005, 07:09 PM

Quote:
when you hit a pothole doing 45mph, the poly urethane gives, the spherical joint does not.
Apparently you are clueless to how the rear suspension works then. The bushing has nothing at all to do with ride harshness during suspension jounce. The springs and shocks take care of that duty.

Quote:
ive got the arms installed listed in my sig and i didnt notice any worsening of the ride quality.
I'm glad your happy with your choice. Don't drive a car with something better and you will remain happy. Ignorance is bliss.
post #29 of 32 Old 10-30-2005, 08:45 PM

Glenn, I get what you are saying now.

I'm thinking about the impacts on the torque boxes the wrong way. The polyurethane binds during normal suspension travel which creates stress on the torque boxes, while the spherical joints are free moving and don't bind.

I do think that say if you take a situation like a hard launch from a stop light, that the spherical equipped arms would put more stress on the boxes because no impact is absorbed due to the absense of a bushing.

So i agree that you are right, but for my practical purposes, my arms i have now work for what i need them for so I'm not gonna go out and buy spherical joint equipped control arms.

Matt
post #30 of 32 Old 10-31-2005, 12:41 AM

Maximum Motorsports.

Don't go through what I did.

My GMS arms are up for sale (some of the "followers" should really PM me for a fantastic offer on them).

I just bought MM arms, and paid to have them shipped quickly so that I can have them for this weekend's "event" . I couldn't afford to continue my drama.

Chris Wynne - NASA AZ Region Racing Nut
rolex24pics.com -Photographer

2011 GT: Yellow Tri-Blaze, 6MT, 3.73's, all the options sans a glass roof.

Last edited by Chris_Red_V6; 10-31-2005 at 10:45 AM.
post #31 of 32 Old 10-31-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Red_V6
I just bought MM arms, and paid to have them shipped quickly so that I can have them for this weekend's race. I couldn't afford to continue my drama.
Good move Chris, I'm sure you will be very happy with the quality and performance of the MM arms. I guess I will see you next Sunday at GIR, which BTW isn't a race, but rather a track event. (We gotta keep the insurance folks happy, ya know?)
post #32 of 32 Old 10-31-2005, 10:52 AM

The arms arrive tommorow, I'll get detailed pictures.

Chris Wynne - NASA AZ Region Racing Nut
rolex24pics.com -Photographer

2011 GT: Yellow Tri-Blaze, 6MT, 3.73's, all the options sans a glass roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement