Offest steering rack bushings - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-22-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Offest steering rack bushings

Did the install finally today. Was a lil' harder than I thought, but nothing impossible.

Car is lowered on Eibach Prokits(with isolators)so the drop isn't that much, appx. 1" or 1.25" fr/rr. The tie rod ends are now completely parallel to the lower control arms, whereas before there was a slight incline.

Question is, will this severely effect alignment? Current C/C settings are -.2.1 camber and +5.8 castor, with the toe being set as 0.

Thanks for any input, getting ready to head to nashville ( www.trscca.com ) to test it out. Hopefully my luck from last SUnday carries over into this region as well. Maybe even the cold weather will keep me from having to water down the tires after the 2nd run.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-22-2005, 08:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
If you were at zero then your tires will now be toed out, but nothing else should be affected much. I don't know how much it would change the toe, however.

post #3 of 10 Old 10-22-2005, 08:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
When were those alignment settings made, before or after the offset bushings, before or after the springs, get my drift? Yea, moving the rack is going to significantly affect the alignment. Your toe and camber are going to be affected significantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-22-2005, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Yes, but will this hurt or help performance? I've had those settings forever, only thing I changed today was the bushings.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-22-2005, 10:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Like jlewis said if you had those settings after the springs were changed and all you did was the rack bushings the only change should be the toe which should be out now. A lot of people run toe out for auto-x but it's not good to run it on the street that way. It makes the car turn in better but more squirly in a straight line. It could chew up the inside of the tires by the time you get to Nashville.

I run 1/2 degree negative camber and change it to 3 degrees at the event. Adding more negative camber also toes the wheels out so when I get ready to go home I set the camber back and get my toe in back.

Good luck in Nashville!
post #6 of 10 Old 10-22-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo
A lot of people run toe out for auto-x but it's not good to run it on the street that way. It makes the car turn in better but more squirly in a straight line. It could chew up the inside of the tires by the time you get to Nashville. Good luck in Nashville!

Ahhhh yes........thast what I needed to hear. Thank you. I remember reading or searching that if the rack was in FRONT of the wheels, it should help for autox type of events. I couldn't remember where I read that so figured I could get a quick/educated answer here.

I've had some issues with "turn in" in the past, hopefully this will band-aid that issue untill later on for a real solution.

As for the drive to Nashville.......I trailer the heap there. Been enjoying that trailer for some time now. Hated to spend "mod-money" for the trailer, but during those hot spring/summer days, it's nice to just drive it up on the ramps with no tire changing. That and for WHEN I tear the rear end out again, I have a way to get home.

Last edited by 2k2GT; 10-22-2005 at 10:56 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-23-2005, 10:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1992lx
Your toe and camber are going to be affected significantly.
How will it affect his camber if what he's done is change the position of the tie rod ends?
post #8 of 10 Old 10-23-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Well, just back from the autox event........I must say, even though some "big dogs" weren't there, I faired pretty good out of 50 or so cars.

My impressions:

Car seemed to actually turn, and KEEP turning through the 1 hard/tight sweeper, the 1 increasing radius turn, and one fast/bumpy/uphill/off-camber sweeper. I feel as though I was able to drive the hell out of the car and squeeze just another tenth or two out of it.

I wouldn't say the difference was night and day, but the steering did seem to feel somewhat more solid, and the car seemed to want to turn better. Although due to the very cold and windy day, I was fighting for traction with the rear tires, the car did seem a lil' more tail happy through the turns. Whereas before it would induce a slight push.

For 20 bucks, and fairly easy install, I'm pleased......glad I did'em.

Results should be posted up by Tuesday or so ( www.trscca.com ) If my memory serves me correct, there should be 2, F125 go karts, a nice BSP Corvette, an AS S2000 and then "yours truly" in the 5th RAW time positions. No other SM cars were there today.

Cool cars there: 05 SC'd Saleen Mustang GT(nice bling factor). Other notables were just awesome driven cars. 2 BS 350Z's, that BSP C4 always gives a good show/great driving and a few other stock class cars that just haul ass due to driver.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-24-2005, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Looks like I gues-timated right.

http://www.trscca.com/trscca/results/102305_raw.htm
post #10 of 10 Old 10-24-2005, 09:38 PM
RAT

Good job Tony
The Mustang GT steering rack bushings are really soft. Most of the better steering feel is from the offset bushings being more firm than the GT's bushings.
I have 1/8" toe out on my car and know of some that run 1/4" toe out. But, I drive to the event and his car is hauled in on a trailor. I've driven 3 hours to an autox event before and my car drives fine even at 85 MPH.

Looking at some alignment sheets from my car, the max allowed toe in is 1/4 ". I think 1/8" toe out will not be a problem for a daily driven car. A little toe out will help your car on turn in.

RAT
65-FS
Red River Region - SCCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement