BBK long tubes/H-pipe + MM torque arm + Ultra Flow cat-back= Clearance issues??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-15-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
Question BBK long tubes/H-pipe + MM torque arm + Ultra Flow cat-back= Clearance issues???

I know it can be different for every car, but I'm just trying to prepare.

1) But does anyone know if my BBK H-pipe will clearance the TA?
2) If not will the BBK X-pipe clear?
3) What about the Ultra Flow cat-back?

Just trying to see if I'll need to get a new mid-pipe before I'd install it.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-15-2005, 11:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Use the Dr.Gas X-pipe. Then you can build it to fit. We've used them with MAC and BBK long tubes and TA.

1989 LX
assorted Maximum Motorsports parts
BAER brakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OMP, Racetech, Safecraft, Amsoil, Zamp helmets,
Bell/Pyrotect, FinishLine, Crow, Autopower & Pro Challenge Race Cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-15-2005, 12:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
You may need to cut and extend the rear of the H-pipe and shorten the flow tubes into the mufflers. The installation instructions for the MM TA explain this and provide pictures for how to do it. In my case on my 95 GT I was able to rotate the ball end clamps to a 45* angle and had no clearance issues. I run Hooker Super-comps for a Fox, a MAC H-pipe for Fox with relocated hangars and an Edelbrock RPM catback. Here is a pic of how I did it with my stock catback, but I did the Edelbrock the same way.

Last edited by Glenn; 10-15-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2005, 12:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
If you get the MM heavy duty t/a, or just the heavy duty mount, it's best to alter the H-pipe to move the rear connections back a few inches for access. There is no H-pipe (or X-pipe) that that comes built that way.

Since lengthening the H means shortening the cat back, you can address any PHB/cat back interference issues at the same time. They should be minimal unless you have 3" pipes. A little grinding fixed mine. Some people seem to need to have the pipes heated and bent a bit.

Any good muffler shop can do this kind of work at a reasonable cost, $50.00 - $100.00 range. Could be a bit more if the pipes need the heated and bent routine. The only issue is getting the car from where the install takes place to the muffler shop. IIRC, you can bolt it all up, though it might hit in a couple of places.

Edit to add: As stated above, Dr. Gas is an excellent choice you want to get new. They can be catted, or not.

Bob F.
Mustang - The Great American Kit Car
#50 ESP/SM2 (backup) - Cal Club
Porsche - The Great German Kit Car - #50 SM2 Cal Club - #84 JP PCA
post #5 of 6 Old 10-16-2005, 11:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (26)
yea, it wont fit without lengthening the h-pipe. trust me, ive tried many times. believe it or not ive got a 3" prochamber to fit under there now with lengthening and cutting and welding extensively.

take care,
adam

90 GT black, V2 SI-Trim, Blow-Thru A/A Intercooler
stage 3 "Y" heads/ Bennett Racing intake, TFS#1, long tubes, 3"Pro-Dumps/H-pipe, TKO500, 3.55's, Home made TA and PHB, cobra brakes, 22 gallon Fuel Safe Cell, PMS tuned etc.. built for twisties
post #6 of 6 Old 10-16-2005, 09:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
on mine, the crossover on the H hit the brace for the torque arm. i had to put a big dent in it to work

94 gt - MM suspension, edelbrock intake, 2031, afr's, s-trim 6psi, 403hp/404tq (no new numbers at 9psi)-For Sale

06 Mazdaspeed6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement